Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ex Forces / Pension / Tax??????

Ex Forces / Pension / Tax??????

Old May 20th 2005, 6:15 pm
Visa Granted 20 Jan 05

bert-doozer is on a distinguished road
Default Ex Forces / Pension / Tax??????

Can anyone enlighten me as to what happens with your lump sum when you bring it into Oz? In UK it is tax free, but is it taxed in Oz & if so at what rate?

Or can anyone point me in a direction with the ATO?

Thanks

Stu
Old May 20th 2005, 6:53 pm
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ex Forces / Pension / Tax??????

Originally Posted by bert-doozer
Can anyone enlighten me as to what happens with your lump sum when you bring it into Oz? In UK it is tax free, but is it taxed in Oz & if so at what rate?

Or can anyone point me in a direction with the ATO?

Thanks

Stu
As far as we are aware (hubby is in the Navy) it's just like any other lump sum you bring into Oz e.g. proceeds from a house sale. If you leave it in a UK bank a/c in the hope that the exchange rate improves, then you could be liable on any gain that the money makes from the time that you become Aus resident. For example, if you move out to Oz and the exchange rate is 2.4 and then 6 months later you decide to move the money across because the rate's gone up to 2.6, you could be liable to tax on the increase.

At least that's my understanding. Hubby has just had a meeting with somebody from the White Ensign Association regarding his pension. Don't know if you're in the Navy but it might be worth contacting them?
Old May 20th 2005, 7:00 pm
Visa Granted 20 Jan 05

Originally Posted by Nicstids
As far as we are aware (hubby is in the Navy) it's just like any other lump sum you bring into Oz e.g. proceeds from a house sale. If you leave it in a UK bank a/c in the hope that the exchange rate improves, then you could be liable on any gain that the money makes from the time that you become Aus resident. For example, if you move out to Oz and the exchange rate is 2.4 and then 6 months later you decide to move the money across because the rate's gone up to 2.6, you could be liable to tax on the increase.

At least that's my understanding. Hubby has just had a meeting with somebody from the White Ensign Association regarding his pension. Don't know if you're in the Navy but it might be worth contacting them?
Thanks for that, but not so sure its as simple as that with lump sums from pensions. What have the White Ensign Assosiation told your hubby ref this??

I think the only people that can give us a definative answer is the ATO, who i will call next week. :scared:

Many thanks

Stu
Old May 20th 2005, 7:47 pm
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that, but not so sure its as simple as that with lump sums from pensions. What have the White Ensign Assosiation told your hubby ref this??

I think the only people that can give us a definative answer is the ATO, who i will call next week. :scared:

Many thanks

Stu
Will have to find out on Monday as he's away at the mo.Good luck with the ATO - let me know if you find out anything useful.

Nicola
Old May 20th 2005, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future

Will have to find out on Monday as he's away at the mo.Good luck with the ATO - let me know if you find out anything useful.

Nicola
please can you post the answer as we are in the same situation
Thanks
Old May 20th 2005, 9:05 pm
Visa Granted 20 Jan 05

Originally Posted by ali south
please can you post the answer as we are in the same situation
Thanks
Will do if i can get any sense out of them

Stu
Old May 20th 2005, 11:24 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

As far as we are aware (hubby is in the Navy) it's just like any other lump sum you bring into Oz e.g. proceeds from a house sale.
There should be no liability to income tax on the lump sum in Australia provided it is received before you become Australian tax resident.

As Nicola says, in that circumstance it's just like a house sale before you move.

The ongoing pension will be subject to Australian income tax, with a likely credit for any UK tax payable. I don't know whether there are any additional deductions allowable in Australia on foreign pension income, or whether there are special rules for government pensions. This is an area where professional advice is required.

Jeremy
Old May 21st 2005, 9:09 am
Visa Granted 20 Jan 05

Originally Posted by JAJ
There should be no liability to income tax on the lump sum in Australia provided it is received before you become Australian tax resident.

As Nicola says, in that circumstance it's just like a house sale before you move.

The ongoing pension will be subject to Australian income tax, with a likely credit for any UK tax payable. I don't know whether there are any additional deductions allowable in Australia on foreign pension income, or whether there are special rules for government pensions. This is an area where professional advice is required.

Jeremy
Jeremy thats where the problem possibly lies. We are coming out in Aug & my pension & lump sum will be paid to me in late October!

We might have to delay our arrival until after its been paid.

What do you think?

Stu
Old May 21st 2005, 11:09 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Jeremy thats where the problem possibly lies. We are coming out in Aug & my pension & lump sum will be paid to me in late October!

We might have to delay our arrival until after its been paid.

What do you think?

Stu
Get some professional advice.

Jeremy
Old May 22nd 2005, 9:43 am
Visa Granted 20 Jan 05

Originally Posted by JAJ
Get some professional advice.

Jeremy
Can you recomend anyone please?

Thanks

Stu
Old May 22nd 2005, 5:29 pm
JAJ
Retired

Can you recomend anyone please?

Thanks

Stu
Not from personal experience, but I know Alan Collett does some work in this area.
http://www.gomatilda.com

Jeremy
Old May 22nd 2005, 5:32 pm
Visa Granted 20 Jan 05

Originally Posted by JAJ
Not from personal experience, but I know Alan Collett does some work in this area.
http://www.gomatilda.com

Jeremy
Jeremy,

Many Thanks

Stu