Reload this Page >

Ex Forces Help to Choose Resetlement Course for Oz

Ex Forces Help to Choose Resetlement Course for Oz

Old Aug 19th 2013, 4:01 pm
Just Joined

Ex_RAF_Lewis is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Ex Forces Help to Choose Resetlement Course for Oz

Hi All
I am pretty new to this so sorry if I do anything wrong.
I am leaving the RAF after 7 years in March and making the big move to Perth. I have wanted to live there for 15 years so can not wait now. I am 25 and have the lower resettlement package but I am willing to pay a little more to help.
I was looking for ex service personel living in Oz to help with choosing a course that will help me find work in Perth. I have been thinking about Air Con or Fiber Optic. I will have no experience as I am a Helicopter Crewman (loadmaster old money) at the minute so will be a massive career change.
Any help will be great.
Thanks in advance
Lewis
Old Aug 20th 2013, 3:15 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ex Forces Help to Choose Resetlement Course for Oz

Do you have a Visa or Right to Live and Work in Australia?
If so, consider your current employment and Bristows recruit SAR crews here operating out of Geraldton.
If not......what's your plan?
Old Aug 20th 2013, 4:17 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, but i dont think you are going to be "soon to be perth". To qualify for a visa, for either of the occupations mentioned, you will need to do a full apprentership - several yers. Then, to pass the skills assesment, you will need several years post qualified experience.

As Paddyo says though, i would have a look on the SOL and CSOL lists to see if crewman is on there. I have a feeling it might be on the CSOL which would allow sponsored visa and look for companies that would be willing to sponsor. But, be aware that a company sponsored visa is a temporary visa
Old Aug 20th 2013, 7:23 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies...I am coming over on a 12 month working visa first...and I have a lot of family in Perth and across Oz so was hoping to get sponsored by them...and also when I was there working I was hoping to get sponsored by a company...as loads of my friends have done when they went over on a working visa...I have jobs lined up by friends in the Mines...but I was looking into courses were I will find a lot of work in the city or not on the mines as well...
Thanks again Lewis
Old Aug 20th 2013, 7:24 am
Just Joined

I for got to mention I am only part qualified in the RAF this is one of the reasons I am leaving...as I have been messed around for 3 years...I think they would only take me if I was fully qualified with so many 000 hours thanks Lewis
Old Aug 20th 2013, 7:29 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ex_RAF_Lewis
Thanks for the replies...I am coming over on a 12 month working visa first...and I have a lot of family in Perth and across Oz so was hoping to get sponsored by them...and also when I was there working I was hoping to get sponsored by a company...as loads of my friends have done when they went over on a working visa...I have jobs lined up by friends in the Mines...but I was looking into courses were I will find a lot of work in the city or not on the mines as well...
Thanks again Lewis
I think you should have a great time on WHV but not so sure about any longer term plans without any additional skills.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 10:36 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again Lewis
Mate.....I'll be honest with you, I think you really do need to understand how the Visa system works over here. Family can not sponsor you, at your age anyway, unless you are a son/daughter and even then it depends on you meeting skill set requirements.
As for 'job's in the mines' be very careful, mates mean well but they really do not understand employment law and its rare that a WHV person can gain employment there.
What you will need to do is honestly assess your skills and experience and see where you meet the CSOL and SOL rules, but, find all this out for yourself and really do research all this.
Just being from the UK and having family over here is not good enough, you have to prove to the Australian Immigration people that you can contribute to the economy and have the skills and experience to do so, from what you have written so far I doubt that. I say this as an honest response and hope you do enjoy your WHV, but come here with your eyes wide open and ditch the rose tinted spectacles.
Finally......as a bit of a left field suggestion....why not try and apply to join one of the ADF here???? They can only say no!
Old Aug 20th 2013, 5:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I'd be looking at a lateral transfer if you could - mind you they were after people over a certain level but it might be a way in. As the others have said, you'll probably have a good WHV but then have to go back as it stands.
Old Aug 21st 2013, 2:52 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

In order to get sponsored, you still have to have the skill on the list. Nobody can just sponsor a person. Nor can a company. For a company to sponsor, the person must have a skill on either the SOL or CSOL. Then the company has to prove that they were not able to find a local person for that role and have attempted to do so for 4 months - thats the new rule as of 1st July.

Come on a working holiday visa by all means. But come knowing that you will be going home at the end of it.
Old Aug 21st 2013, 6:01 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All
I am pretty new to this so sorry if I do anything wrong.
I am leaving the RAF after 7 years in March and making the big move to Perth. I have wanted to live there for 15 years so can not wait now. I am 25 and have the lower resettlement package but I am willing to pay a little more to help.
I was looking for ex service personel living in Oz to help with choosing a course that will help me find work in Perth. I have been thinking about Air Con or Fiber Optic. I will have no experience as I am a Helicopter Crewman (loadmaster old money) at the minute so will be a massive career change.
Any help will be great.
Thanks in advance
Lewis
As other's have said, you will find it virtually impossible to get on to a mine site on a WHV, especially for unskilled work. Mine workers need lot's of compliance certificates/courses and no company is going to pay for this if you are only going to be around for a few months. You will probably be able to find a non-mining job though

I know people who have gone from WHV, to 457, to PR but they already had relevant skills and experience

Good luck
Old Aug 21st 2013, 7:12 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by verystormy
In order to get sponsored, you still have to have the skill on the list. Nobody can just sponsor a person. Nor can a company. For a company to sponsor, the person must have a skill on either the SOL or CSOL. Then the company has to prove that they were not able to find a local person for that role and have attempted to do so for 4 months - thats the new rule as of 1st July.

Come on a working holiday visa by all means. But come knowing that you will be going home at the end of it.
Is that for PR as well as 457?
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 3:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by paddyo
Is that for PR as well as 457?
That is the new rule just for the 457