Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ex British soldier looking to move to Australia

Ex British soldier looking to move to Australia

Old Jan 12th 2015, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

royieuan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ex British soldier looking to move to Australia

I am coming to the end of my 24 year British Army career and looking at expatriate employment opportunities in Australia. I am looking at the mining industry and fully understand how difficult this is for Australians and impossible for expat's so any advice would be very welcomed. I would also consider other industries if the mining is a none starter.

I have well- developed project management and planning skills, complemented by a strong operational background and Logistics Management. I hold a BSc (Hons) 1st in Logistics Management and APMP, Advanced Diploma in Logistics and Transport Level 6 Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport and Lean Management.

Thank you for your time and advice.
Old Jan 12th 2015, 9:46 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ex British soldier looking to move to Australia

Originally Posted by royieuan
I am coming to the end of my 24 year British Army career and looking at expatriate employment opportunities in Australia. I am looking at the mining industry and fully understand how difficult this is for Australians and impossible for expat's so any advice would be very welcomed. I would also consider other industries if the mining is a none starter.

I have well- developed project management and planning skills, complemented by a strong operational background and Logistics Management. I hold a BSc (Hons) 1st in Logistics Management and APMP, Advanced Diploma in Logistics and Transport Level 6 Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport and Lean Management.

Thank you for your time and advice.
First you need to get a visa...Have you looked at whether or not you are eligible?
Old Jan 12th 2015, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

I have checked and I do believe I can as my sister and other family members have lived there for 20+ years
Old Jan 12th 2015, 9:53 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I have checked and I do believe I can as my sister and other family members have lived there for 20+ years
That won't really help.
You need to have skills in demand. Have relevant experience, be in good health and not too old.
Old Jan 12th 2015, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

I have the Skills and very good health and only 43.
Old Jan 12th 2015, 10:07 pm
Bitter and twisted

I have the Skills and very good health and only 43.
43 is getting on a bit in immigration terms. You need to be under 45 to get an independent skilled visa...but the older you are the less points you get.

Check on the immigration website as to whether your skills put you on the list of occupations in demand.

Another option would be employer sponsored but, again, age limits apply and you still need an in demand occupation. Employer sponsored visa are not permanent and, at your age, very risky.

There is also state sponsorship for some jobs but again restrictions will apply.

Look on the immigration website and see if you stand a chance.

www.immi.gov.au
Old Jan 12th 2015, 10:09 pm
Just Joined

Thank you this is very kind of you
Old Jan 12th 2015, 10:15 pm
Bitter and twisted

Thank you this is very kind of you
I think that having a family sponsor may get you a few extra points for a regional or state sponsored visa but your age will work against you points wise. You really need to get things moving ASAP.

I am no expert so may well have missed something

Bear in mind that some people just do not qualify.

Good luck
Old Jan 12th 2015, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

LeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really nice

As for mining - it's not great at the minute. The Iron Ore price which is Australia's biggest export, is at a 5 year low. A lot of mines are closing or have closed due to that.
Coal may be different but I don't hear of much mining work going at the moment.
Have a look at bhp billiton's website, or Rio Tinto, or Roy Hill.
Old Jan 13th 2015, 6:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Would you be too old for a Lateral Transfer? Might be somethng to think about.
Old Jan 13th 2015, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

fromthetoon is just really nicefromthetoon is just really nicefromthetoon is just really nicefromthetoon is just really nicefromthetoon is just really nicefromthetoon is just really nicefromthetoon is just really nicefromthetoon is just really nice

A mate of mine got over from the UK after leaving the Special Forces. I think he went to Adelaide and worked for the Australian army for a short while.
I came over at the age of 45 as my parents lived here.
With your qualifications and experience, I think you will be fine.
Old Jan 13th 2015, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

I would forget mining. It is in a severe downturn here with redundancies happening by the day and the jobs that do come up will always take a experienced mining proffessional.

The other thing you need to look at is the skills assessment. Have you checked what is required to pass for the occupation you are considering?

It may be worth consulting a migration agent such as Go Matilda.
Old Jan 13th 2015, 10:04 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fromthetoon
A mate of mine got over from the UK after leaving the Special Forces. I think he went to Adelaide and worked for the Australian army for a short while.
I came over at the age of 45 as my parents lived here.
With your qualifications and experience, I think you will be fine.
Theres got to be more to it than just your parents living here......

To the OP - get an initial consultation with someone like George Lombard or Alan Collet, of the agent world, before you quit the army. They will let you know the best route to take, and it could be one of a transfer from the army, depending on how your qualifications are acknowledged.

Thinks have changed a lot in the last few years as regards cost and ability to qualify to move, so check out the current requirements first.
Old Jan 13th 2015, 11:05 am
Just Joined

Thanks LeeWillo for the info I will check the web sites out tonight
Old Jan 13th 2015, 11:13 am
Just Joined

quoll, I have been checking the Lateral Transfer site for a number of years and my trade has never been on it and was told the Lateral staff I could not join unless its on the list

fromthetoon .. Thank you

Verystormy .. Thank you

Pollyana .. Thank you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.