Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ex British Servicemen/women

Ex British Servicemen/women

Old Jun 28th 2010, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

gaz1277 is just really nicegaz1277 is just really nicegaz1277 is just really nicegaz1277 is just really nicegaz1277 is just really nicegaz1277 is just really nicegaz1277 is just really nicegaz1277 is just really nicegaz1277 is just really nicegaz1277 is just really nice
Default Ex British Servicemen/women

Hi folks,
Out of interest - How many ex service personnel do we have on these boards and did they do the transfer Brit/Oz thing or got out and went 'civvie'. I am in the current dilemma of 2 years left and thinking Mil or civ. Any advice?
Old Jun 28th 2010, 10:54 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ex British Servicemen/women

Originally Posted by gaz1277
Hi folks,
Out of interest - How many ex service personnel do we have on these boards and did they do the transfer Brit/Oz thing or got out and went 'civvie'. I am in the current dilemma of 2 years left and thinking Mil or civ. Any advice?
Half and half I should think. There are a few ex now civvies. The most currently verbal poster is Jen1977ni who's husband got a transfer over to the Aus Army. Geordie Mandy's husband has just done the same thing but they only got over here (finally) a week or so ago and I don't think she's had a chance to really post since arriving.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

stuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura aboutstuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura aboutstuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura about

My brother is a serving soldier and has told me he's considering the NZ and Aus army because their retirement age is much higher than ours. (He's currently 41).
Old Jun 28th 2010, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

MarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really nice

Hi folks,
Did the Lateral Transfer from to Aus Army, came over Jan 09. I think that they have vastly reduced this option at the moment.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

maund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to all

We came across here last August, hubbie had completed his 22 years and became a civvie. No regrets as we got to choose where we wanted to live.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 12:24 pm
Shiny Arse Know All

ROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond repute

2 years left and applying as a civvy, well on 1 Jul anyway

Looked at RAN but don't currently want my SQ. They'll bite the hands off of submariners though

Getting a lateral transfer would be the best way to go as they'll pay the airfare/sea and air freight/quick grant of Visa once terms of employment offered/citizenship in 3 months. One of my chiefs has just done it and flys out in August the jammy sod
Old Jun 28th 2010, 5:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I think they may have put the brakes on lateral transfers at the moment (check out the ARRSE forums for up to date info) - I think they have been experiencing the same lack of movement due to the GFC as the British Army has.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 10:55 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

We did it 3 yrs ago - hubby left after 22 yrs in RN, came over as a sparkie, has now joined the RAN. TBH I wish now we`d just gone the lateral transfer route in the first place but at the time we`d had enough of Navy life - just never say never
Old Jun 28th 2010, 11:11 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi folks,
Ex RN CHief Aircrewman here, retired in 03 after 23 years, came over here as a civvie 2 years ago but that was as part of a secondment with my company on a Temp Visa so they paid all the costs etc. There a lot of my ex colleagues from the FAA here and also from my days as an RP (met a guy I joined up with in Feb 1980 at Raleigh in Canberra last month, hadn't seen each other in 28 years!!!).
I also work in the Navy dockyard in Sydney, my company Thales leases half of it through a legacy company, so a lot of interaction with the RAN.
At present lateral transfer is difficult unless you are in a shortage category branch, for that read the same as UK RN!!! However, they have the new AWD coming in as well as the LPDs so will need a massive influx of experienced matelots so keep a watch on whats going on and just keep plugging away at them.
By all accounts, the guys I know, GS, FAA and also RAAF who I know, have a good life and there are far better housing options here and better rates for LOA/Spec Ops etc etc. Haven't met anybody yet who regrets it, yes the odd moan that the RAN/RAAF is '10 yrs behind UK' but otherwise generally its been a good choice for most.
Happy to provide info/advice if needed.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 11:13 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Half and half I should think. There are a few ex now civvies. The most currently verbal poster is Jen1977ni who's husband got a transfer over to the Aus Army. Geordie Mandy's husband has just done the same thing but they only got over here (finally) a week or so ago and I don't think she's had a chance to really post since arriving.
Verbal?!
Old Jun 28th 2010, 11:14 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Verbal?!
gotta be the quickest bite ever seen on BE!!!! lmao!
Old Jun 28th 2010, 11:17 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
gotta be the quickest bite ever seen on BE!!!! lmao!
I'm just out of bed, give me a chance, tempted to go back too, BRRR it's cowl!
Old Jun 29th 2010, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Just to change the thread subject I've read in a few places that the level of discipline in the RAN is much laxer than the RN. Also the news recently has reported instances of rather unprofessional behaviour by RAN - any opinions on this ?

{I have an interest in Naval History etc etc so I'm just curious about it}
Old Jun 29th 2010, 3:38 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
Just to change the thread subject I've read in a few places that the level of discipline in the RAN is much laxer than the RN. Also the news recently has reported instances of rather unprofessional behaviour by RAN - any opinions on this ?

{I have an interest in Naval History etc etc so I'm just curious about it}
its same ole same ole.....to us oldies its more lax, but its the Gen Y now. As for unprofessional behaviour, I saw the same thing on UK carriers in the 90's....its just newsworthy at the moment but if you read the court transcripts a lot of it is hearsay and pure conjecture. I have no doubt there is some appalling behaviour, but, as I have witnessed first hand, it can be a two way process!! That is in no way condoning the events on HMAS Success BTW.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

stickygreen has a brilliant futurestickygreen has a brilliant futurestickygreen has a brilliant futurestickygreen has a brilliant futurestickygreen has a brilliant futurestickygreen has a brilliant futurestickygreen has a brilliant future

Another ex matelot here, finished in May this year after 23 years man and boy! Didn't do the lateral transfer thing as wife is a midwife so we did it all based on her. Luckily enough Queensland Health paid for everything even though she was on holiday here when she applied with them, I was on Ex Longlook at the time (Cheers easy!)

Currently I am at QUT Uni in Brisbane, started in Feb whilst on resettlement, attempting to become a primary school teacher with 6 months left and amazingly I haven't been called Pom once!

Rob

PS Have met 1 ex matelot and 1 ex bootneck here in Brisbane, small world and all that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.