Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ex-Australian cricketer David Hookes assaulted; in coma

Ex-Australian cricketer David Hookes assaulted; in coma

Old Jan 19th 2004, 6:04 am
skbn136app

Default Ex-Australian cricketer David Hookes assaulted; in coma

Hello Everybody,

At least this is not what I expect from Civilized society like Australia. Shame....

Regards

skbn136app

"

January 19, 2004 09:11 IST

Former Australian Test cricketer David Hookes was in a coma on Monday after being assaulted outside a pub where he had been celebrating the victory of his Victoria state team.Hookes, 47, is the coach of the team.

The former cricketer was attacked in suburban St Kilda shortly before midnight on Sunday. Hookes suffered major head injuries in the attack, police said. Witnesses said he had to be revived by ambulance paramedics after 'he had technically died'.

He was taken to the Alfred Hospital, where a hospital spokeswoman said Hookes was in a critical condition and still in a coma in the intensive care unit.

Clark Forbes, the programme director at Melbourne radio station 3AW, where Hookes is a member of the on-air team, said the attack was so brutal that ambulance paramedics had to work to revive Hookes for half an hour.

"Technically he died -- he was revived on the footpath outside the hotel concerned, which is a St Kilda late-night pub where the Victorian state cricket team had been celebrating yesterday's win over South Australia," Forbes said.

"He was there with a number of team-mates. They were all having a very pleasant evening and he was involved in this incident."

Forbes said Hookes was in a coma and there was concern about him having sustained brain damage. "I have to say he's not in a good way," he added.

Hookes played 23 Tests for Australia between 1977 and 1986 scoring 1,306 runs at 34.36 and played 39 one-day internationals for 826 runs.

Agencies

"

Old Jan 19th 2004, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

jezdavies is an unknown quantity at this point

He has sinced died. Great cricketer, great man.
Old Jan 19th 2004, 10:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jezdavies
He has sinced died. Great cricketer, great man.
Yep, bouncer at the Beaconsfield Hotel has been charged. 'C'mon aussie c'mon, c'mon ..... Hookes is clearing pickets'.

OzTennis
Old Jan 19th 2004, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

Reports I've read say the bouncer at the door was arrested and charged with assault. He appeared in the Melbourne Magistrates Court on Monday and released on bail. Although that was before Hookes was taken off life support.

It doesn't surprise me that someone has died after a bouncer hit them. I don't know about other parts of Australia, but bouncers are all over the place on any busy night in every pub in Melbourne. And they are almost always trying to find ways to get a power fix. I've been thrown out of pubs in Melbourne for the simple fact that someone has bumped into me and my pint has fallen out of my hand. Plenty of my mates have been either threatened or assaulted by bouncers. This is a problem I have never experience in England.
Old Jan 19th 2004, 10:54 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Reports I've read say the bouncer at the door was arrested and charged with assault. He appeared in the Melbourne Magistrates Court on Monday and released on bail. Although that was before Hookes was taken off life support.

It doesn't surprise me that someone has died after a bouncer hit them. I don't know about other parts of Australia, but bouncers are all over the place on any busy night in every pub in Melbourne. And they are almost always trying to find ways to get a power fix. I've been thrown out of pubs in Melbourne for the simple fact that someone has bumped into me and my pint has fallen out of my hand. Plenty of my mates have been either threatened or assaulted by bouncers. This is a problem I have never experience in England.

My mate shayno was a bouncer in Melbourne , and he was aparty to this POWER TRIP syndrome, its some kind of macho thing, they also from my knowledge play scores, a bit like salesmen reaching conversion and sales targets, bouncers apparently play the same game, usually with horrendous consequences !!
Old Jan 19th 2004, 10:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not making a joke out of this but it struck me as so
eerie that such a great batsmen should be killed by a bouncer.

OzTennis
Old Jan 19th 2004, 11:02 am
Dave234

Originally posted by OzTennis
I'm not making a joke out of this but it struck me as so
eerie that such a great batsmen should be killed by a bouncer.

OzTennis
Not funny, disrespectful ********

Note from moderator: Please mind your language. This is not a request.

Old Jan 19th 2004, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Dave...do you ever contribute anything to this site other than slagging other off??..it seems to be a hobby of yours...i remember you slagging the whole lot of us off a while back for not discussing things as YOU thought we should... are you some kind of control freak??

I agree Oz was a bit tactless as it only just happened today, but why dont you try to get on with people instead of just being down right nasty all the time?
Old Jan 19th 2004, 11:12 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

How awful - poor family. Mr Bundy has techincally died three times in his 25 years, so I was about to say that there is always hope, but sadly not in this case
Old Jan 19th 2004, 11:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally posted by Dave234
Not funny, disrespectful bastard
Ditto to PP's comment, I said it wasn't a joke but an eerie thing - I didn't mean to put the smiley either it was force of habit.

OzTennis
Old Jan 19th 2004, 11:38 am
Dave234

Now now podgy, calm down, theres no use in gettin worked up

Old Jan 19th 2004, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they kept score of how many people they kick out etc. Although I haven't been out in Sydney very much my best mate says you can pretty much get away with anything (not literally of course) compared to Melbourne. You can give your mate a drunken hug and share a bit of loud banter without having any trouble. I never had the slightest trouble in Brisbane and you don't even notice the bouncers there. Every pub I go to at home in Melbourne, they are left right and centre glaring at everyone. I've lived in Liverpool for 9 months now and never been hassled once. Aside from at the door, you barely notice any bouncers. Same with nights out I've had in Newcastle and Manchester. Been out in Chicago, Amsterdam and many cities around the world, but I don't know why bouncers and security in Melbourne pubs is so heavy and heavy handed. It is no reflection on the feel or vibe of the city and generally Melburnians just put up with it.

Melbourne's nightlife is brilliant but every time you're out you're not looking over your shoulder for some other drinker to pick a fight with you, you're worried about a 110kg professionally trained bouncer. And they know they're not going to put off customers because people will always go out for a good time. If any positive should come of an incident like this, it will highlight the problem. Although it shouldn't take someone's death to draw attention to any issue, let alone a simple one like this.
Old Jan 19th 2004, 12:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they kept score of how many people they kick out etc. Although I haven't been out in Sydney very much my best mate says you can pretty much get away with anything (not literally of course) compared to Melbourne. You can give your mate a drunken hug and share a bit of loud banter without having any trouble. I never had the slightest trouble in Brisbane and you don't even notice the bouncers there. Every pub I go to at home in Melbourne, they are left right and centre glaring at everyone. I've lived in Liverpool for 9 months now and never been hassled once. Aside from at the door, you barely notice any bouncers. Same with nights out I've had in Newcastle and Manchester. Been out in Chicago, Amsterdam and many cities around the world, but I don't know why bouncers and security in Melbourne pubs is so heavy and heavy handed. It is no reflection on the feel or vibe of the city and generally Melburnians just put up with it.

Melbourne's nightlife is brilliant but every time you're out you're not looking over your shoulder for some other drinker to pick a fight with you, you're worried about a 110kg professionally trained bouncer. And they know they're not going to put off customers because people will always go out for a good time. If any positive should come of an incident like this, it will highlight the problem. Although it shouldn't take someone's death to draw attention to any issue, let alone a simple one like this.
Hopefully the coroner will order a public enquiry into nightclub and pub security if this is what is going on.

I wonder if a lot of bouncers in other cities are too busy making money on the side dealing in things to get involved in the 'aggro'?

OzTennis
Old Jan 19th 2004, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

Basically what I'm saying is, bouncers in Melbourne are far more over-bearing than in any other city I've had a night out in. Although the official line would be, "the greater security the safer it is for all patrons". And seeing the Beaconsfield Hotel where he was hit isn't at all a rough place, it shows such behaviour by bouncers isn't just restricted to the rough pubs of Footscray or Broadmeadows. In fact, the nicer or trendier the area, the more over-bearing the security is. If you go to a pub in a bad area, there's rarely much security at all.
Old Jan 19th 2004, 2:20 pm
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Well I thought it was funny, Remember this is a forum and a little light humour does no harm whatsoever.
I did,nt find it disrespectful either, personal attacks maybe but not this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.