Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

To everyone bringing their pets to Oz

To everyone bringing their pets to Oz

Old Oct 27th 2003, 10:56 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default To everyone bringing their pets to Oz

I just thought this would be good information for all of you in the UK, that are bringing your pets to Oz shortly.

I was given the choice to have my animals vaccinated with the Rabies vaccine back in the UK prior to sending them over to Perth. This vaccine would have entitled them to return to the UK under the 'Pets Passport' scheme meaning they can enter the UK without going into 6 months quarantine.

Unfortunatley I thought 'oh, I won't get that done, I won't be going back to the UK' but circumstances have changed and we are returning.

Our pets now have to have a Rabies vaccine each, costing $65 (each) 3 weeks later they have to be blood tested, this costs $300 for each animal!!! We have 2 cats and a dog!! They then have to wait a whole 6 months before being allowed to return to the UK with no quarantine.

There is no question about leaving them here, they are part of our family, but now we can't leave for at least another 7 months, which will be hard.
Would have been far better to have everything done in the UK with the 'chance' of returning than take the attitude that I did!!
Old Oct 27th 2003, 11:06 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: To everyone bringing their pets to Oz

Originally posted by janeyray
I just thought this would be good information for all of you in the UK, that are bringing your pets to Oz shortly.

I was given the choice to have my animals vaccinated with the Rabies vaccine back in the UK prior to sending them over to Perth. This vaccine would have entitled them to return to the UK under the 'Pets Passport' scheme meaning they can enter the UK without going into 6 months quarantine.

Unfortunatley I thought 'oh, I won't get that done, I won't be going back to the UK' but circumstances have changed and we are returning.

Our pets now have to have a Rabies vaccine each, costing $65 (each) 3 weeks later they have to be blood tested, this costs $300 for each animal!!! We have 2 cats and a dog!! They then have to wait a whole 6 months before being allowed to return to the UK with no quarantine.

There is no question about leaving them here, they are part of our family, but now we can't leave for at least another 7 months, which will be hard.
Would have been far better to have everything done in the UK with the 'chance' of returning than take the attitude that I did!!
Don't you have to re vaccinate them anyway, even if you had it done in the UK. A time frame of travelling after the pets have had their rabies shot , same goes for the blood tests. Like take for instance.. every 6 months.. so if you stay away longer than 6 months (or a year etc) they need another shot and more blood tests to re enter. (?). You've been out of the UK for over a year haven't you? I do not think it would matter if you had them done in the UK.. you still would have had to re- do them to return after that year, correct me if I'm wrong anybody, but that's what I always thought.

cheers
Old Oct 27th 2003, 11:22 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Ceri
Don't you have to re vaccinate them anyway, even if you had it done in the UK. A time frame of travelling after the pets have had their rabies shot , same goes for the blood tests. Like take for instance.. every 6 months.. so if you stay away longer than 6 months (or a year etc) they need another shot and more blood tests to re enter. (?). You've been out of the UK for over a year haven't you? I do not think it would matter if you had them done in the UK.. you still would have had to re- do them to return after that year, correct me if I'm wrong anybody, but that's what I always thought.

cheers
I think once you have the passport it's valid for up to 3 years, so this muct mean the vaccine is valid for up to 3 years too?
Anyone know different?
Old Oct 27th 2003, 11:26 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by janeyray
I think once you have the passport it's valid for up to 3 years, so this muct mean the vaccine is valid for up to 3 years too?
Anyone know different?
You'll have to check with "Defra" but I think you've still got to keep the vaccinations and blood tests up to date within that passport to keep it valid.. ie every 6 months or a year.

Cheers
http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/index.htm The defra site.
Old Oct 27th 2003, 11:50 pm
home again, home again

Just phoned the vet and booked the pets in for their vaccines. The Rabies vaccine is an annual vaccine, if this is kept up to date then no further blood test is needed.

Had we done this vaccine in the UK then, we wouldn't have to wait the 6 months for the blood test results. Oh well, we live and learn!