Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is everyone in Australia crooked?

Is everyone in Australia crooked?

Old Mar 18th 2005, 2:14 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is everyone in Australia crooked?

I was going to ask if everyone in Australia was bent but that would probably gone down an entirely different line of responses.

It strikes me reading the Aussie papers on-line each day that they are full of stories of people getting caught with their hand in the till. So are Aussies more prone to this sort of thing or are they just not very good at covering their trail?
Old Mar 18th 2005, 2:22 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Default Re: Is everyone in Australia crooked?

Originally Posted by worzel
I was going to ask if everyone in Australia was bent but that would probably gone down an entirely different line of responses.

It strikes me reading the Aussie papers on-line each day that they are full of stories of people getting caught with their hand in the till. So are Aussies more prone to this sort of thing or are they just not very good at covering their trail?
The country has been built by bloody crooks [or is that a myth ]

I've had more stuff stolen here than I EVER had nicked in the UK.....don't know what that's saying as it hardly stands up in statistical terms

To answer your question though. I don't think Aus is any better or worse crime wise than UK.....but it's still an ace place to live. Give me Aus any day

Old Mar 18th 2005, 2:29 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I am now removing the drunken ramblings that I put on this post because of the evident confusion over "facts" and "opinions"
Wish I hadn't bothered..............

Last edited by Pollyana; Mar 18th 2005 at 3:05 pm.
Old Mar 18th 2005, 2:39 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Maybe I'll give another opinion.... as 'facts' are a matter of opinion anyway

Aussies on the whole definately seem to try to stick rigid within the rules, whether that's at work, on the road, in government offices etc, so much so to the point it sometimes seems very "jobsworth" at times and doesn't always allow for common sense

The plus side of course is that if you stick to the latter of the law then anyone working outside of it however little, gets treated the same...and in some peoples mind this may seem a fairer system however some would argue treating everyone the same is actually unfair as each case is individual .....but then that seems the Aussie way

Old Mar 18th 2005, 2:42 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz

Aussies on the whole definately seem try to stick rigid within the rules, whether that's at work, on the road, in government offices etc, so much so to the point it sometimes seems very "jobsworth" at times and doesn't always allow for common sense

The plus side of course is that if you stick to the latter of the law then anyone working outside of it however little, gets treated the same...and in some peoples mind this may seem a fairer system however some would argue treating everyone the same is actually unfair as each case is individual .....but then that seems the Aussie way
The scandals I keep reading about in the Aussie press are all at high levels. Today's story is a Mr Lightfoot taking US$ into Iraq on behalf of Woodside Petroleum but there have been many others about politicians and businessmen being jailed / resigning. One that sticks in my mind was a local mayor being caught on camera receiving an envelope of cash.
Old Mar 18th 2005, 2:57 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by worzel
The scandals I keep reading about in the Aussie press are all at high levels. Today's story is a Mr Lightfoot taking US$ into Iraq on behalf of Woodside Petroleum but there have been many others about politicians and businessmen being jailed / resigning. One that sticks in my mind was a local mayor being caught on camera receiving an envelope of cash.
Yep...they're as crooked as any politician. They are people after all....and that's what people are capable of

Over here everyone loves a scandal and to "oust" a baddy, think it's the old Ned Kelly mentality i.e hound them till they fall. The best thing here though is that they all seem to get away with it, like it's normal and they seem to be backed by their leader, who is equally inventive about their excuses whereas in UK...Blair would throw the man over board

Actually, I might be wrong, probably am but in the short space of time here this is how I've seen it.

Just another opinion of mine of course. Not a fact...but an opinion ...oooo or was I just passing comment like others on here yep...maybe I was but of course it depends who you are as to whether it's an opinion or a fact or a comment ....perhaps I should go into politics. No maybe not....I'm not sly enough

Old Mar 18th 2005, 3:21 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I am now removing the drunken ramblings that I put on this post because of the evident confusion over "facts" and "opinions"
Wish I hadn't bothered..............
A "sorry" would do

Naaa....... maybe editing the post and playing the victim is better. Gets all the nice people on board

Last edited by Phoenixuk2oz; Mar 18th 2005 at 3:37 pm.

Old Mar 18th 2005, 3:37 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

A "sorry" would do

Naaa....... maybe playing a victim is better. Gets all the nice people on board
I have nothing to say "sorry" for - my post was irrelevant, and I considered it too frivolous, bearing in mind the way the thread was heading, thats why I removed it.
And - just off topic briefly - perhaps one day you can explain to me what all your constant sniping about "playing a victim" actually means.
Old Mar 18th 2005, 3:44 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

I have nothing to say "sorry" for - my post was irrelevant, and I considered it too frivolous, bearing in mind the way the thread was heading, thats why I removed it.
And - just off topic briefly - perhaps one day you can explain to me what all your constant sniping about "playing a victim" actually means.
So you dont "snipe" then Polly? That's not what you did then before you edited your post? No of course not. I must be the villain and you must be totally innocent victim You are very clever at this. Takes some practice.

This isn't the place to discuss this either. Maybe you want to talk about it via PM

Old Mar 18th 2005, 3:53 pm
Home and Happy

So you dont "snipe" then Polly? That's not what you did then before you edited your post? No of course not. I must be the villain and you must be totally innocent victim You are very clever at this. Takes some practice.

This isn't the place to discuss this either. Maybe you want to talk about it via PM
I wouldn't "snipe" at you Phoenix my dear, I have better things to do.

My original post was about low-level back-covering by office staff. Not really relevant to the route the thread was following. And only "sniping" at an idiot I work with! So I deleted it.

Now..........back to the thread about crookedness..............
Old Mar 18th 2005, 3:53 pm
blossom

[QUOTE=Phoenixuk2oz]Maybe I'll give another opinion.... as 'facts' are a matter of opinion anyway

Aussies on the whole definately seem to try to stick rigid within the rules, whether that's at work, on the road, in government offices etc, so much so to the point it sometimes seems very "jobsworth" at times and doesn't always allow for common sense

Having worked for both central and local govt, here and in Australia, I beg to differ. I think the Aussies are far more flexible at work that they ever could be over here.

Blossom

Old Mar 18th 2005, 3:59 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

I wouldn't "snipe" at you Phoenix my dear, I have better things to do.
My original post was about low-level back-covering by office staff. Not really relevant to the route the thread was following. And only "sniping" at an idiot I work with! So I deleted it.

Now..........back to the thread about crookedness..............
Ahhh the irony. Master of excuses. Always the innocent victim

Have a nice night. Cheerio dear

Old Mar 18th 2005, 4:03 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

[QUOTE=blossom]

Having worked for both central and local govt, here and in Australia, I beg to differ. I think the Aussies are far more flexible at work that they ever could be over here.

Blossom
Not sure what you mean by that Blossom? Do you mean you can make more decisions at work when working for Aus government than when working for UK government?

Old Mar 18th 2005, 4:04 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Ahhh the irony. Master of excuses. Always the innocent victim

Have a nice night. Cheerio dear
Now now children!
Old Mar 18th 2005, 4:06 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by samnrob2
Now now children!
Watch it

We'll duff yer up when you get to Brisbane

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.