British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Ever lived in an empty house ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/ever-lived-empty-house-729319/)

AlanEll Aug 20th 2011 12:20 pm

Ever lived in an empty house ?

We are moving to Perth in mid-November. We were then hoping to rent a nice place in Perth for 10 weeks until our container arrived. However, as it is peak season, it is becoming impossible to find anywhere decent to rent, or at affordable prices, Not the best time to move but thats the way it goes, we have been planning this for 2 years now, and looking forward to the change.

Our revised plan is that we ship our goods across in September, or October. I still need to work out my notice and cannot travel to perth any earlier than mid-Nov. We will then live in an empty house in UKtill mid-Nov. The more we think about it, the more we like the idea. We could buy blow-up-blankets, a small TV ? Has anyone ever done the same, and if so any tips on what we should ensure we keep with us ?

bananalana Aug 20th 2011 12:36 pm

Re: Ever lived in an empty house ?

blow up blankets? Never heard of them LOL

When we arrived in Oz from NZ we each brought a suitcase and a hand luggage.

That was it.

We went out when we arrived and got 2 blow up mattresses and that was it.

The next day we got a TV.

Jan4kids Aug 20th 2011 3:18 pm

Why not live in holiday accomadation (in either country) to bridge the gap?

....I even had a vase made out of a milk bottle, an cardboard box bedside tables when we first arrived :lol:

Jan

AlanEll Aug 20th 2011 5:21 pm

Hubby wrote that, he meant blow up mattress......men!! LOL We are just worried the kids wil be bored without all their gadgets. Bur heyho it will be worth it!! :o

Holiday accomodation is proving to look very expensive.....$14,000 for 2 months from one quote and no offer of a discount. I think not!!

Bermudashorts Aug 20th 2011 8:24 pm

I think loads of us migrants have done it. We lived in our UK house with no furniture for two months when we moved back from Bermuda and we had about 4 or 5 weeks here in Australia with no stuff when we first arrived. Sending your stuff on ahead and having the empty house in UK is a good idea as you are more likely to have people to borrow stuff off.

When we got here we bought airbeds, bedding, a new TV which we propped up on a box, two plates, two cups, one pan :) I was very pleased when we bought our outdoor furniture as we then had something to sit on inside.

carolinephillips Aug 20th 2011 9:39 pm

Our container was delayed by the French going on strike, so instead of a week with no furniture, we had 7!!!
My daughter's school lent us crockery, cooking stuff and school table and chairs, parents lent us bedding and blow up beds and a telly!

We bought a fridge, drier and washing machine, since we needed to anyway.
DD brought her gameboy and OH his PSP to keep them amused, but we were out and about exploring, so it was mostly in the evenings that these got used.

It was very cold sleeping on blow-up beds that deflated overnight- we had wooden floors and it was winter. Won't be so bad if you are coming in our summer.

Alfresco Aug 20th 2011 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 9571648)
I think loads of us migrants have done it. We lived in our UK house with no furniture for two months when we moved back from Bermuda and we had about 4 or 5 weeks here in Australia with no stuff when we first arrived. Sending your stuff on ahead and having the empty house in UK is a good idea as you are more likely to have people to borrow stuff off.

When we got here we bought airbeds, bedding, a new TV which we propped up on a box, two plates, two cups, one pan :) I was very pleased when we bought our outdoor furniture as we then had something to sit on inside.

Yep indeed, we did the same thing.

Bought new crockery here as the old set was dated, and some cheap cutlery.

We also bought a lounge suite which I slept on until our stuff arrived. I don't do blow-up-mattresses. :)

neil248 Aug 20th 2011 11:44 pm

Did it for a while, all part of a very simple life when we arrived.

Amazing how little you actually need to be happy.

irishbloo Aug 21st 2011 12:36 am

Originally Posted by neil248 (Post 9571866)

True.:thumbup:

paulry Aug 21st 2011 1:45 am

Originally Posted by neil248 (Post 9571866)

Agreed. :cool: And temporarily having next to naught can be very liberating too :thumbup:

NigelWaring Aug 21st 2011 2:06 am

You could try staying at a YHA, there used to be three in Perth, you can get a private room, some even have an ensuite, you then only need your own clothes. Incidentally I'm 70 and my wife not much younger, we are often the youngest in some hostels, we use them a lot for holidays, we often stay in five star hotels as well. Most YHAs have a communal kitchen where you will meet some of the nicest people that you've ever come across. The kitchens have all the crockery and cutlery that you need along with cooking utensils, they may be a bit dented in places but are usually nice and clean, there are usually refrigerators and freezers for your food. Most YHAs also have laundry facilities, they are mainly close to the city centres and public transport.

http://www.yha.com.au/

steen1976 Aug 21st 2011 2:52 am

We did it too. Though as we needed a new sofa anyway we bought a sofa bed straight away and it was actually really comfy. Someone loaned us a TV but the picture was terrible due to our location here. However I preparation I had downloaded loads of movies and TV shows onto the laptop and we watched those on a night.

Nix and Mike Aug 22nd 2011 12:18 pm

We did it for SIX MONTHS waiting for our container to arrive and it was strangely liberating...and VERY easy to keep the place clean !!!
Go for it !

AlanEll Aug 22nd 2011 3:16 pm

Thanks guys, yes think we will ship ahead and manage that way. Save ourselves some major bucks too. :thumbup:

Rambi Aug 22nd 2011 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by AlanEll (Post 9571472)
Hubby wrote that, he meant blow up mattress......men!! LOL We are just worried the kids wil be bored without all their gadgets. Bur heyho it will be worth it!! :o

Holiday accomodation is proving to look very expensive.....$14,000 for 2 months from one quote and no offer of a discount. I think not!!

Nip down bunnings and get some empty boxes and huge tubes from their carpet/shade sail rolls to play with. That would keep our kids amused for a while.

Or join the local toy library. :thumbup: