Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ever become an Aussie supporter (sport)?

Ever become an Aussie supporter (sport)?

Old Nov 13th 2004, 7:46 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ever become an Aussie supporter (sport)?

When I was 20 I moved from Chester to the Midlands. About 5 years later I found myself more interested in how Coventry / Aston Villa got on than Crewe / Tranmere. Eventually 10 years later I started watching my home town club (Level 9 in the pyramid) and a year later watched my last Chester match.

What are the chances that one day in the dim and distant future I may find myself supporting Australia against England?

I ask because I just watched GB beat Auatralia in the tri-nations and I *****ing loved it. Partly because I like to see GB win, partly because Australia are so good at all sports and they need bringing down a peg or two and partly because I see it as early "revenge" for all the Pommy-bashing I am going to take in years to come.

(PS I already know the answer. I am going to join the Barmy Army every time England are in town)
Old Nov 13th 2004, 7:55 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Ever become an Aussie supporter (sport)?

Originally Posted by worzel
When I was 20 I moved from Chester to the Midlands. About 5 years later I found myself more interested in how Coventry / Aston Villa got on than Crewe / Tranmere. Eventually 10 years later I started watching my home town club (Level 9 in the pyramid) and a year later watched my last Chester match.

What are the chances that one day in the dim and distant future I may find myself supporting Australia against England?

I ask because I just watched GB beat Auatralia in the tri-nations and I *****ing loved it. Partly because I like to see GB win, partly because Australia are so good at all sports and they need bringing down a peg or two and partly because I see it as early "revenge" for all the Pommy-bashing I am going to take in years to come.

(PS I already know the answer. I am going to join the Barmy Army every time England are in town)
I can see myself supporting the Aussies in a "neutral" match but never ever against the "home country".

When my future (Australian by birth) offspring inevitably starts wearing an Oz shirt then it's going to hurt ...
Old Nov 13th 2004, 8:52 pm
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

Ditto to what Deadmeat said. I'm South African and even though SA rugby and cricket have been on a steady decline I just can't bring myself to switch sides.....
Old Nov 13th 2004, 9:01 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

The locals denigration of English sport will mean I will never support Australia at sport. I won't reduce myself to the Scots and support whoever is playing Oz however I haven't exactly warmed to the local sporting mentality.

There is a conspiracy theory here that the Roos let the odd international victory so the sport can think it has some form of international significance.
Old Nov 13th 2004, 9:34 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom
The locals denigration of English sport will mean I will never support Australia at sport. I won't reduce myself to the Scots and support whoever is playing Oz however I haven't exactly warmed to the local sporting mentality.

There is a conspiracy theory here that the Roos let the odd international victory so the sport can think it has some form of international significance.
We are crap at sport in the UK though aren't we?! Take the Rugby Union - we won the world cup and think it is something major. Yet we have 3 times the population of Australia and it is a minor sport over there. We should win it every time! Too much liberal namby pambyism in school sports I feel. I have to admire the Aussies for their in you face sledging / competititvenenss. But I want GB to beat them even more for the same reason. PS IT can't be often 2 major Aussie sports teams lose on the same day
Old Nov 13th 2004, 9:43 pm
G'day Mate

Boomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of light

I support Australia in sport...Hence why im going to watch them play Norway on tuesday ( Football @ Craven Cottage ) And it gives me a chance to interact with other aussies to get use to it
Old Nov 13th 2004, 11:48 pm

We are crap at sport in the UK though aren't we?! Take the Rugby Union - we won the world cup and think it is something major. Yet we have 3 times the population of Australia and it is a minor sport over there. We should win it every time! Too much liberal namby pambyism in school sports I feel. I have to admire the Aussies for their in you face sledging / competititvenenss. But I want GB to beat them even more for the same reason. PS IT can't be often 2 major Aussie sports teams lose on the same day
Yep Britain is not a great sporting nation. Not enough investment in sport is probably one of the main reasons Britain underperforms. Childhood obesity is as big an issue here so IMO it is how the elite athletes are treated that distinguishes the difference in performance. What is more disturbing is the rise in steroid use in high school children. Seems like the enjoyment of sport has been lost by some.

Watching channel 9 and 7 news is enough to put you off green and gold.
Old Nov 14th 2004, 2:27 am
Forum Regular

Gareth W is on a distinguished road

I was agreeing with you until you got to this bit ! Winning the RU World Cup IS something major. Its a major competition and England won it - its a bit typically British to say its nothing really and we should win it every year. You certainly wouldn't hear the Aussies say something like that. Good to see that the Rugby League team won as well, more significantly, the British Rugby League schoolboys side is regularly beating their Aussie counterparts so thats good for the future. I don't follow cricket but I'm told that the England team is improving strongly there too.
SO although, England might underperform as a sporting nation I don't think the future is that bleak. And just for the record I'll always support the clubs and national sides I've always supported. I'll support the Aussies against teams like France but never againt England/Britain.
Old Nov 14th 2004, 11:38 am
PommieLeague

Originally Posted by Gareth W
I was agreeing with you until you got to this bit ! Winning the RU World Cup IS something major. Its a major competition and England won it - its a bit typically British to say its nothing really and we should win it every year. You certainly wouldn't hear the Aussies say something like that. Good to see that the Rugby League team won as well, more significantly, the British Rugby League schoolboys side is regularly beating their Aussie counterparts so thats good for the future. I don't follow cricket but I'm told that the England team is improving strongly there too.
SO although, England might underperform as a sporting nation I don't think the future is that bleak. And just for the record I'll always support the clubs and national sides I've always supported. I'll support the Aussies against teams like France but never againt England/Britain.
I agree entirely. It is very good to see Great Britain beating the Aussies (even if Bondipom still thinks it was a set up ) and encouraging for the grassroots in rugby league in the UK.

Im in Perth but want the Lions to turn the Aussies over as like we all get here as Pommie migrants, the stick by Aussies that we are crap at most sports, but we are catching up.

Old Nov 14th 2004, 5:52 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bondipom
The locals denigration of English sport will mean I will never support Australia at sport. I won't reduce myself to the Scots and support whoever is playing Oz
Who says the Scots support whoever is playing Oz ??

If you get England V Australia just watch who the Scots shout for.
Old Nov 14th 2004, 7:11 pm
A former regular of BE

Originally Posted by Gareth W
I was agreeing with you until you got to this bit ! Winning the RU World Cup IS something major.
You misunderstand me. To win at any sport is major. Lets shout about it and rub it in their faces. But it is not a major surprise. We have a far superior network of Rugby clubs (especially Rugby Union) in the UK. With the level the game is played at in the UK I would EXPECT us to win it every time. And that this was our first win is very disappointing.
Old Nov 14th 2004, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by Lathlain
I agree entirely. It is very good to see Great Britain beating the Aussies (even if Bondipom still thinks it was a set up ) and encouraging for the grassroots in rugby league in the UK.

Im in Perth but want the Lions to turn the Aussies over as like we all get here as Pommie migrants, the stick by Aussies that we are crap at most sports, but we are catching up.
The other conspiracy is that state of origins are engineered to go to 3 games to keep the TV ratings. All sounds silly to me. I just read the cat fights between the AFL, NRL and union. A series win may do something for league otherwise the game is a sideshow.
Old Nov 15th 2004, 5:35 am
Badge

I don't really care now. I just want to see a good game of footie.

I supported England as I have watched the side over the last 7-8 years seen the likes of Dally-go, Dawson etc.

Now they've all retired, I'm here, I just wanna see a good game played well, that's all.

I love watching Australia play and don't feel the need to have to begrudge them, if anything, I think it is because I feel I share their enthusiasm in a way...(?) I have never been on the end of any sporting stick in the office - if anything, I'm the one taking the piss - noone in my office is that sporty. Most Aussies take an interest in the teams I played for and then say 'Good stuff - like to see it'.

BM

Old Nov 15th 2004, 6:56 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm.....I have to say that, although a pom, I do wear the green and gold whenever watching rugby league matches. I have my reasons - Mr B would kill me if I didn't! But also because I've only really known about league since meeting him, so I obviously know a lot more about the aussie team than the GB one. We were in Manchester to watch the first Oz/GB game in the tri-nations and I was screaming myself hoarse for the Roos.
Old Nov 15th 2004, 8:27 am
PommieLeague

We have a far superior network of Rugby clubs (especially Rugby Union) in the UK.
League is more of a club game in the UK than union. League gets bigger crowds than the union equivilent of the Rugby Super League.
Union however does do better at international games than League, but we are getting there (as long as decent administrators come into the game).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.