Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Events in Gold Coast/Brisbane November 2008?

Events in Gold Coast/Brisbane November 2008?

Old Aug 27th 2008, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Coppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of light
Question Events in Gold Coast/Brisbane November 2008?

Hi everyone!

We fly out for our first reccie on 29th october

We're also getting married at coolangatta on the 5th nov! We're only there for 14 nights (forgetting flights) so got a lot to cram in.

We've got a 2 year old daughter and its looking like I will be 4-5 months pregnant so theme parks are pretty much out

I was just wondering knows if there's any events going on in the gold coast, brisbane or even sunshine coast from 31st oct to 14th nov?

We're staying at Burleigh Heads but getting a hire car so we can scout about for less touristy areas.

Any advice would be great!!!!

Thanks
Jen
Old Aug 27th 2008, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

Sue McK is a jewel in the roughSue McK is a jewel in the roughSue McK is a jewel in the roughSue McK is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Events in Gold Coast/Brisbane November 2008?

Hi Jen
it may not be one for you but the Rugby League World Cup is on and one of the semi final games is being held on the gold coast.
and a couple of games are being held in Brisbane
Cheers
Sue
Old Aug 27th 2008, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

Jamesfam has a brilliant futureJamesfam has a brilliant futureJamesfam has a brilliant futureJamesfam has a brilliant futureJamesfam has a brilliant futureJamesfam has a brilliant future

Hi

Yes we've booked tickets for the Rugby League World Cup. We are going to a game on 10th November at Skilled Park in Robina. Paid 106AUD for a family ticket (2adults and 2 children). Thought that was quite cheap. Booked online though ticketek.

Good luck with your wedding and new baby!

Clare
Old Aug 28th 2008, 1:39 am
Hopeful Idealist

janicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant future

Just wanted to offer my congrats! I'm moving to Gold Coast on 16/10. The Indy 300 is on 23-26/10 but I guess that's off. Hope you have a great reccie!

Janice
Old Aug 28th 2008, 4:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Coppock
Hi everyone!

We fly out for our first reccie on 29th october

We're also getting married at coolangatta on the 5th nov! We're only there for 14 nights (forgetting flights) so got a lot to cram in.

We've got a 2 year old daughter and its looking like I will be 4-5 months pregnant so theme parks are pretty much out

I was just wondering knows if there's any events going on in the gold coast, brisbane or even sunshine coast from 31st oct to 14th nov?

We're staying at Burleigh Heads but getting a hire car so we can scout about for less touristy areas.

Any advice would be great!!!!

Thanks
Jen
My birthday.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

lisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to all

hiya, i lived in currumbin and worked in coolangatta, the currumbin wildlife sanctuary is a must, especially for your 2 year old, lots of kangaroo's jumping around and your two year old will get to stroke and feed them!! and its right opposite the beautiful sands of currumbin beach, and your o/h will appreciate a nice cold beer on the verandah overlooking the sea at the surf club there are some lovely places to visit if you have the car cause the roads are quite easy to follow, especially along the goldie....you could go down to the currumbin valley and visit the lovely rockpools.
you could still go to the waterpark, i did whilst i was pregnant, i had a discount( they gave me an oap rate) but wet n wild is fab for the o/h and your little one, cause there's lots of child friendly area's for him/her, anymore info feel free to pm me xxx lisa
Old Aug 28th 2008, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

Annie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really nice

So many things to do.

Pan Pacific Masters Games are on whilst you are in the coast, not that you'll want to watch us old foggies attempting to look good whilst doing sports, but that is why there isn't anything else too major on.

Agree about Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary, it is so good and there is a train to take you from one end of the park to the other, so you will have to walk around, but you can rest up too.

Beach of course! If you want some family friendly ones, try Rainbow Bay Coolangatta, or Labrador's lagoon which is on the broadwater, and further north than Southport.

Sea World is also worth considering, it does have some rides, but that is not the main focus, lots of shows, and animal exhibits. Your 2 YO will love it, and there is an area with kids rides and also a water play park so take bathers and a towel!

Great time of year to go up to Mt Tamborine, cooler than the coast, and some great galleries and cafes at Eagle Heights Gallery Walk.

If you get stuck and need the 2 year old to get rid of some energy there are some indoor playgrounds where you can sit and relax in teh cafe and they can go wild.

Wet n Wild is also a possiblity as they have a great kids area Buccanneer Bay, where you can sit and watch them. Alternative, if you want to go to a pool is Southport pool.

Lots of playgrounds along the beachfronts too.

Aqua Duck, is a cruise on a really silly looking boat that goes on land too, kids love it. Or take a cruise to South Stradbroke Island.

So much to do, you will find lots to keep you and the little one occupied. Have a great time.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 1:26 am
BE Enthusiast

sheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to all

Just make sure your there when the feed the birds at Currumbin. We were there whilst we were on our reccie in April and our three still talk about
Old Aug 29th 2008, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Coppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of light

Wow thanks everyone The rugby sounds good but I don't know if our daughter Tia would be good enough to site still for so long (god help us on the flights!!!)

I will deffo be stopping off at Currumbin sounds fantastic!

I'm going to have to print the entire thread off lol.

The waterpark and seaworld sound great, I've been seaworld in Florida and thought it was really great for kids (just didn't have any at the time lol)

I'll make sure I get OAP rate too

Oh and happy birthday Spartacus!

We probably won't be moving to Oz for another 3/4 years what with having another baby and we also have our own business which we will have to establish further in order to "take it" to australia.

But is there anything anyone can recommend we do/look at whilst there to make sure that we see the "real" australia? I know staying in a hotel on the beach won't give us a realistic impression, we're thinking about getting the train into Brisbane for an idea of commuting etc but any ideas would be great!

Especially what you gold coastians do on your days off

Thanks
Jen
Old Aug 29th 2008, 12:35 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janicebks
The Indy 300 is on 23-26/10 but I guess that's off.

Janice

Nope!!! It's still on.
24 Indycar teams, V8's, Carrera Cup, Aussie Racing Cars and Formula 3, will all be there.

Power On!!!!

Last edited by The Bloke; Aug 29th 2008 at 12:38 pm.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

Annie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really nice

Do you really want to know what us gold coastians do on the weekend? Well, Aussies are sport mad, so if you have kids I can almost bet you are at some kind of sporting event! Year round there is something to do.

Sundays is Surf Life Saving Day! Nippers is a great Aussie tradition, you will see the kids on the beach from around 8am through till around 11ish playing games and learning about the surf. The kids range from 5 year olds upwards! That is very australian! You can also go into the Surf Clubs as a visitor and often get a great meal with a brilliant view!

Get a feel for Brisbane on a week day, that is a great idea, if you go on the train after 9.30am and are returning by around 3.30pm you can go off peak rates - and miss the big squeeze!

We live on the Gold Coast for lifestyle, we are so shallow! But in reality most Gold Coasters don't spend time in Surfers Paradise. We hang out at Main Beach or Broadbeach rather than Surfers!

I would recommend you check out Northern New South Wales, like Kingscliff or Byron Bay.

I always take my visitors to Mt Tamborine to check out the view both to the coast and inland, try to go on a boat trip - cruise to South Straddie for the day, or Tangalooma which is on Moreton Island.

A drive tround Redland Bay, which is in the Southern Bayside area of Brisbane is also really great.

One really Australian thing I think is seeing "red earth" - I am wracking my brains to think of where the closest place you can see that is. Perhaps someone else can suggest.....

If you want an idea of places where people live and work in the Gold Coast drive around Robina, Varsity Lakes and up to Southport, that gives a broad and general view of living in the GOld Coast. But basically people choose here for so many different reasons...

Please forgive my rambling, I have just spent the day in the Brisbane Aquatic Centre and I have to go back for more tomorrow - I said sport was the big thing eh!

Hope the rambling helps!