Evening classes

Old Aug 27th 2007, 11:54 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute
Default Evening classes

Hi In was thinking that one way of making friends in Oz would be to enrol in evening classes for tai chi, languages, art anything I am interested in to help me to meet like minded people.

However I can only find reference to college courses adult literacy etc are there evening classes like in the UK?

I am heading to Sydney
Old Aug 27th 2007, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Evening classes

Originally Posted by asher
Hi In was thinking that one way of making friends in Oz would be to enrol in evening classes for tai chi, languages, art anything I am interested in to help me to meet like minded people.

However I can only find reference to college courses adult literacy etc are there evening classes like in the UK?

I am heading to Sydney
A lot of the TAFEs run adult education classes in the evenings on all sorts of subjects (public speaking, languages, cooking, personal development etc). Google TAFE in NSW and check out the ACE courses (that's what the adult short courses are called). The universities also run short courses on weekends and evenings. Plus - most of our local schools run evening courses - we get a flier in the mail a few weeks before they start.

Thinking about it, we are spoiled for choice! We're in Brisbane but I suspect it'd be the same in Sydney.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 12:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.tafensw.edu.au/howex/serv...urses&Ctype=TP

here you go, found the link for you. you'll need to find out which campus is closest to you though as there are over 100 in NSW.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 12:10 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you very much obviously I was wording my search wrong.

I just thought that this is one of the ways I would try meeting people if I was in the UK so will try that in Oz if I have any difficulty making friends

I need to learn Auslan anyway
Old Aug 27th 2007, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

There are Community Colleges in most parts of Sydney which offer great recreational type classes (wine appreciation, cooking, fitness, crafts etc). They're better than TAFE around here which tend to have mainly work-related courses.

This is a link to my local one. There will be others in different parts of Sydney.
http://www.escc.nsw.edu.au/cgi-bin/WebObjects/East.woa

Last edited by NickyC; Aug 27th 2007 at 2:01 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 2:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

I am heading to Sydney
Try the WEA!

http://www.weasydney.com.au/index.ph...&action=course
Old Aug 27th 2007, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by NickyC
There are Community Colleges in most parts of Sydney which offer great recreational type classes (wine appreciation, cooking, fitness, crafts etc). They're better than TAFE around here which tend to have mainly work-related courses.

This is a link to my local one. There will be others in different parts of Sydney.
http://www.escc.nsw.edu.au/cgi-bin/WebObjects/East.woa
Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Darn neither of these teach Auslan I am very disappointed as I planned to enrol in this ASAP!! I know of courses in Tasmania however that's a bit far to go
Old Aug 27th 2007, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Darn neither of these teach Auslan I am very disappointed as I planned to enrol in this ASAP!! I know of courses in Tasmania however that's a bit far to go
The Sydney community college does Auslan:
http://www.sydneycommunitycollege.co...ule?ID=LG3301E.

I had a quick look at the websites of a couple of other community colleges and the ones at Macquarie and St George & Sutherland also do them.

The Deaf Education Network run Auslan courses all over Sydney. http://www.deaf.nsw.edu.au/course.htm
Old Aug 27th 2007, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by NickyC
The Sydney community college does Auslan:
http://www.sydneycommunitycollege.co...ule?ID=LG3301E.

I had a quick look at the websites of a couple of other community colleges and the ones at Macquarie and St George & Sutherland also do them.

The Deaf Education Network run Auslan courses all over Sydney. http://www.deaf.nsw.edu.au/course.htm
Thanks for that I am really grateful

anyone else wanna learn Auslan?