Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Even DIMIA are confused about Citizenship changes

Even DIMIA are confused about Citizenship changes

Old Nov 17th 2005, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Even DIMIA are confused about Citizenship changes

At long last we are eligible to apply for citizenship (Monday being the magic day of 701 days in Oz since PR was granted).

I called Citizenship hotline yesterday to ask the best way to lodge the forms.
The girl on the helpline said we could post them and await an interview or book an interview time now and bring all forms in at that point.

HOWEVER.....she said if I waited until the next interview date she had available (mid Dec) the legislation might have changed and we might then have to wait 3 years....I can't believe they think it will change so quickly and with no warning, when the govt has been talking about it for months.

Anyway she said it would be best to post forms to them, they can start processing, and we are then at least 'being processed' and would not be impacted by the change to 3 years.

Good to know Oz governement are as efficient as governments around the world.
Old Nov 17th 2005, 9:06 pm
lor
BE Forum Addict

lor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Even DIMIA are confused about Citizenship changes

Just wanted to wish you luck.
Old Nov 17th 2005, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

thanks!

just worried now that we are so close....
Old Nov 17th 2005, 9:31 pm
lor
BE Forum Addict

lor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pomster
thanks!

just worried now that we are so close....
You'll be fine ,(some may disagree )but so far Ive found the immigration people in Vic to be really honest and helpfully!
So quick post it back!
Old Nov 17th 2005, 10:43 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

We just filled it in online & they called us the following week asking if we wanted the interview either in the city or in Dandenong.
Old Nov 17th 2005, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

jwatsonoz will become famous soon enough

I would turn up with everything and they will probably interview you on the spot - but you may have to que for a few hours.

or... just accept the change
2years or 3years - not that long...

At long last we are eligible to apply for citizenship (Monday being the magic day of 701 days in Oz since PR was granted).

The girl on the helpline said we could post them and await an interview or book an interview time now and bring all forms in at that point.

HOWEVER.....she said if I waited until the next interview date she had available (mid Dec) the legislation might have changed and we might then have to wait 3 years....I can't believe they think it will change so quickly and with no warning, when the govt has been talking about it for months.

Anyway she said it would be best to post forms to them, they can start processing, and we are then at least 'being processed' and would not be impacted by the change to 3 years.

Old Nov 17th 2005, 11:42 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Can you lodge online to get in early and use the same interview date?
Old Nov 18th 2005, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

I decided to send the forms, as all the identity bits had been filled out (and I had to drive some miles to get these signed, so am not keen to repeat the process for an electronic lodgment, which is on a different form)

Now just waiting for a response and an interview date.

( I had thought about just turning up, clutching my forms but the lass said we could not do that!)
Old Nov 18th 2005, 4:11 am
Nos De Caraid...

BartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of light

New anti-terrorism laws: Aussie Citizenship Test:
Answers best you can....

How many slabs can you fit in the back of a Falcon Ute while also allowing room for your cattle dog?

When packing an Esky do you put the ice, or the beer, in first?

Is the traditional Aussie Christmas dinner:
a) At least two roasted meats with roast vegetables, followed by a pudding you could use as a cannonball. Also ham. In 40C heat.
b) A seafood buffet followed by a barbie, with rather a lot of booze.
And ham. In 40C heat.
c) Both of the above, one at lunchtime and one at dinnertime. Weather continues fine.

How many beers in a slab?

Does "yeah-nah" mean "Yes and no" or "Maybe" or "Yes I understand but No I don't agree"?

The phrases "strewth" and "flamin' dingo" can be attributed to which TV character?
a) Toadie from Neighbours
b) Alf from Home & Away
c) Agro from Agro's Cartoon Connection
d) Sgt. Tom Croydon from Blue Heelers?

When cooking a barbecue do you turn the sausages
a) Once or twice
b) As often as necessary to cook
c) After each stubby
d) Until charcoal?

Name three of the Daddo brothers.

Who was the original lead singer of AC/DC?

Which option describes your ideal summer afternoon:
a) Drinking beer a mate's place
b) Drinking beer at the beach
c) Drinking beer watching the cricket/footy
d) Drinking beer at a mate's place while watching the cricket before going to the beach?

Would you eat pineapple on pizza? Would you eat egg on a pizza?

How many cans of beer did David Boon consume on a plane trip from Australia to England?

How many stubbies is it from Brissy to the Gold Coast in a Torana travelling at 120km/h?

Who are Scott and Charlene?

How do you apply your tomato sauce to a pie?
a) Squirt and spread with finger
b) Sauce injection straight into the middle?

If the police raided your home would you:
a) Allow them to rummage through your personal items
b) Phone up the nearest talkback radio shock jock and complain
c) Put a written complaint in to John Howard and hope that he answers it personally?

Which Australian Prime Minister held the world record for drinking a yardie full of beer the fastest?

Have you ever had/do you have a mullet?

Thongs are:
a) Skimpy underwear
b) Casual footwear
c) They're called jandals, bro?

On which Ashes tour did Warney's hair look the best? 1993, 1997, 2001 or 2005?

What someone is more likely to die of.
1) Red Back Spider
2) Great White Shark
3) Victorian Police Officer
4) King Brown Snake
5) Your missus after a big night
6) Dropbear?

How many times must a steak be turned on a conventional four-burner barbie?

Can you sing along to Cold Chisel's Khe Sahn?

Explain both the "follow-on" and "LBW" rules in cricket and discuss the pros and cons for the third umpire decisions in the latter....

Name at least 5 items that must be taken to a BBQ.

Who is current Australian test cricket captain:
a) Ricky Ponting
b) Don Bradman
c) John Howard
d) Makybe Diva?

Is it best to take a sick day on:
a) When the cricket's on
b) When the cricket's on
c) When the crickets on?

What animal is on the Bundaberg Rum bottle?

What is the difference between a pot and a middy of beer?

What are Budgie smugglers?

Did you cry when Molly died on a Country Practice?

A "Hoppoate" is:
a) A breed of kangaroo
b) A kind of Australian "wedgie"
c) A disgraced Rugby League player?

What does having a 'chunder' mean?

When you were young did you prefer the Hills Hoist over any swing set?

What do the following terms mean:
a) Mate?
b) Maate
c) Maaaaaaate?

What does the terminology 'True Blue' mean?

........................ lol
Fool if you think its over... its just began... )
Old Nov 18th 2005, 4:24 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

I got the same when i called up yesterday. I have booked an interview for dec 15th but have decided to apply online, can't do it for another 10 days, then if they contact us quickly we can still use the same interview date but if not then cancel it and get a leter one. BUT.... from what everyone says online applications are quicker in WA but slower most other places.

Good luck when the time comes

Lynn
Old Nov 18th 2005, 4:50 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

It's 731 days (2 years + 1 day), not 701.

Jeremy