British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Evaporative Aircon (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/evaporative-aircon-568399/)

Luma Oct 21st 2008 8:37 am

Evaporative Aircon

We've been getting quotes in.

Does anyone have these types and any comments on which is best?
- Breeze Air
- Cool Breeze
- Braemar

Thanks

Amazulu Oct 21st 2008 8:44 am

Re: Evaporative Aircon

Originally Posted by Luma (Post 6894985)

- Breeze Air
- Cool Breeze
- Braemar

Thanks

My experience of evaporative is that it does not work. It's really just a glorified fan and is not really airconditioning.

Get reverse cycle instead.

themerlin Oct 21st 2008 8:46 am

They only work in dry climates.

If it's a humid heat they make it worse.

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 6895006)
My experience of evaporative is that it does not work. It's really just a glorified fan and is not really airconditioning.

hoofie2002 Oct 21st 2008 8:49 am

It does work ok, but not very well when it's very humid [it is cheap to run though]. If I was putting a/c in for the first time, I'd get a reverse-cycle.

If it's a new build, consider putting a core in the roof that will duct heating/cooling all over the house.

bridie Oct 21st 2008 8:50 am

I was going to say the same, we had evaporative in our new build (mainly because it was a free offer!) and it was pretty pants once the temp went right up and the humidity started....

Amazulu Oct 21st 2008 9:00 am

Originally Posted by hoofie2002 (Post 6895014)
It does work ok, but not very well when it's very humid [it is cheap to run though]. If I was putting a/c in for the first time, I'd get a reverse-cycle.

If it's a new build, consider putting a core in the roof that will duct heating/cooling all over the house.

Agree. Ducted for a new build. Split systems for an existing house.

Amazulu Oct 21st 2008 9:02 am

Originally Posted by hoofie2002 (Post 6895014)

Reverse cycle is expensive to install and operate - and it's not very efficient.

It works well though.

Evaporative is cheap for a reason.

Luma Oct 21st 2008 9:04 am

We're going the evaporative way. We don't have tons of money to spend and also don't want high running costs.

Petals Oct 21st 2008 9:26 am

Depends where you live. If you live in Mildura Vic for instance evaporative is fine as its very hot and very dry. If you lived in Brisbane then it would be a disaster because its so humid and evaporative is humid too.

themerlin Oct 21st 2008 10:56 am

Just get a fan.

Originally Posted by Luma (Post 6895073)
We're going the evaporative way. We don't have tons of money to spend and also don't want high running costs.

Swing-Your-Pants Oct 21st 2008 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Luma (Post 6894985)

- Breeze Air
- Cool Breeze
- Braemar

Thanks

Ok here's my 2c worth:

We have a ducted Cool Breeze system and on the whole it works very well. Even last Boxing Day when Perth reached 44.6c we were cool inside the house as it was too hot to eat outside. Humid days do affect its ability to cool but what we found is if you know its going be humid start the system early in the day and it will keep cooling.

Evap is a very simple system which mainly consists of a large fan and a water pump to keep the Celdek pads soaking wet. For cooling you cannot beat a proper air con system but they chew electric big time. Our system chews about 900w an hour as opposed to the 17kw's that our friends system pulls.

There are pro's and con's for either system. Do a google search for more detailed info.

DrWho Oct 21st 2008 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by Swing-Your-Pants (Post 6895652)
...Our system chews about 900w an hour as opposed to the 17kw's that our friends system pulls...

The kW figure most often quoted for AC systems is that for the cooling or heating capacity not the electrical stuff... 17kW would get you a pair of 25kW Daikin ducted systems which would cool a very substantial house indeed... :)

Swing-Your-Pants Oct 22nd 2008 12:58 am

Originally Posted by DrWho (Post 6897045)
The kW figure most often quoted for AC systems is that for the cooling or heating capacity not the electrical stuff... 17kW would get you a pair of 25kW Daikin ducted systems which would cool a very substantial house indeed... :)

Very true mate. Its a huge house with two large chiller units outside. They pull that much juice that they only put it on when they have to !

Luma Oct 22nd 2008 1:32 am

Originally Posted by Swing-Your-Pants (Post 6895652)
Ok here's my 2c worth:

We have a ducted Cool Breeze system and on the whole it works very well. Even last Boxing Day when Perth reached 44.6c we were cool inside the house as it was too hot to eat outside. Humid days do affect its ability to cool but what we found is if you know its going be humid start the system early in the day and it will keep cooling.

Evap is a very simple system which mainly consists of a large fan and a water pump to keep the Celdek pads soaking wet. For cooling you cannot beat a proper air con system but they chew electric big time. Our system chews about 900w an hour as opposed to the 17kw's that our friends system pulls.

There are pro's and con's for either system. Do a google search for more detailed info.

Thanks for your reply. The is currently a good deal for Cool Breeze on so we're thinking of going that way.

mulben Oct 22nd 2008 3:03 am

Thanks for your reply. The is currently a good deal for Cool Breeze on so we're thinking of going that way.

Try to get a self cleaning / emptying cooler, this will stop the build up of
calcium scale on the batts. Brivis and Braemar ( I think ) have them.
Scale reduces the efficiency of the cooling over time