Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

European Song Contest

European Song Contest

Old May 14th 2004, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about
Default European Song Contest

Couldn't believe my eyes....flicking through the channels and what do I come across...yep, the European Song Contest. On closer examination (and checking the internet) we are now watching the Semi Finals in Istanbul.

If anyone else is watching, does it sound as crap through their TV as it does through our little 14" portable?

Have to admit that while watching it I'm missing Terry Wogan's sarcastic little comments, although the Aussie Guy is putting in a good effort with the sarcy comments
Old May 14th 2004, 10:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Jensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: European Song Contest

Originally posted by Jaykay
Couldn't believe my eyes....flicking through the channels and what do I come across...yep, the European Song Contest. On closer examination (and checking the internet) we are now watching the Semi Finals in Istanbul.

If anyone else is watching, does it sound as crap through their TV as it does through our little 14" portable?

Have to admit that while watching it I'm missing Terry Wogan's sarcastic little comments, although the Aussie Guy is putting in a good effort with the sarcy comments
Apparently for the real thing you can get Tel's dulcet tones over the internet - not sure what channel though...
Old May 14th 2004, 10:25 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: European Song Contest

We just happen to have it on aswell, on SBS

The sound quality is OK, through a reasonable system, but the actual songs/singers leave a little to be desired. My little grl reckons that Australian Idol was much better!

I agree that it was much better with Terry Wogans comments

SBS reception is normally not very good in most areas.

Old May 14th 2004, 10:42 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was surprised to find it on, are the uk competing or did they get chucked out for scoring nil pwa last year?
Old May 14th 2004, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by mcmercer
I was surprised to find it on, are the uk competing or did they get chucked out for scoring nil pwa last year?
I did see a couple of british flags, but I'm pretty certain that they're not competing this year due to the dismal effort last year
Old May 14th 2004, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Jensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by mcmercer
We're competing with a really good song (well, as far as this contest is ever concerned!), but will no doubt lose out to political voting!
Old May 14th 2004, 10:45 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

yes, nothing to do with the song.......I've got it on in the background and they've been terrible so far, the israeli guy was particularly bad:scared:
Old May 14th 2004, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by jeff hardy
We're competing with a really good song (well, as far as this contest is ever concerned!), but will no doubt lose out to political voting!
Oops, I do stand corrected, although I thought that the rules were that if you ended up down the bottom, that you didn't get in the following year. Shows how much I know
Old May 14th 2004, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

KayCee is an unknown quantity at this point

We listen to radio 2 at work and they have been playing our entry loads! It's by James Fox (he was in Fame Academy) and it's actually quite good - and he's fit!!!
Old May 14th 2004, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

I can't believe my luck, I move 11 000miles and this follows me
Old May 14th 2004, 11:50 am
ABCDiamond

Here is the link BBC Eurovision to see who the 24 finalists are, and yes, UK is listed.

Old May 14th 2004, 1:19 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tinaj
I can't believe my luck, I move 11 000miles and this follows me
ARGHHH!!! Can't I get away from it! Terry flipping Wogan is stalking me!!!!

However (showing my age) I do remember "Save all your kisses for me....." from 1976!
Old May 14th 2004, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

mozzie will become famous soon enough

Oops, I do stand corrected, although I thought that the rules were that if you ended up down the bottom, that you didn't get in the following year. Shows how much I know
No, you're right Jaykay, that's the general rule. But there's some small print regarding the big countries (UK, Germany, France). Because they provide most of the funding for Eurovision they get to stay in whatever.
Old May 14th 2004, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice

Originally posted by mozzie
No, you're right Jaykay, that's the general rule. But there's some small print regarding the big countries (UK, Germany, France). Because they provide most of the funding for Eurovision they get to stay in whatever.
Ahhh so does that explain why they always have the hosts speaking in English and French? I often wondered what France did to make them special enough to get their own interpretation (as opposed to them saying it in Spanish for example)....not that I dislike the French or anything....just never understood it...it's not like the rest of Europe speak French....or do they????

love sophia xx

BTW I thought the Ukrainian song was the best in the preliminaries tonight!! But what were they wearing...they all looked like Zena