British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   An etiquette question for mums... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/etiquette-question-mums-899299/)

LaLaLayla Jul 9th 2017 4:12 pm

An etiquette question for mums...

Hi, in Australia, is it OK to do the school run in your gym clothes? Just checking before I do the school run next Tuesday :p.

spouse of scouse Jul 9th 2017 4:16 pm

Re: An etiquette question for mums...

Originally Posted by LaLaLayla (Post 12290273)
Hi, in Australia, is it OK to do the school run in your gym clothes? Just checking before I do the school run next Tuesday :p.

Of course it's ok! Probably about the only thing you can't wear is nothing :lol:

LaLaLayla Jul 9th 2017 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12290279)
Of course it's ok! Probably about the only thing you can't wear is nothing :lol:

But is it the done thing? This is a prep school in the Northern Suburbs. Not sure if that makes any difference. Don't want to show the kids up on their first day :lol:.

Pollyana Jul 9th 2017 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by LaLaLayla (Post 12290282)
But is it the done thing? This is a prep school in the Northern Suburbs. Not sure if that makes any difference. Don't want to show the kids up on their first day :lol:.

People here wander round the supermarket in their pyjama with bare feet.They won't bat an eyelid if you do the school run in the same:ohmy:

spuddyo Jul 9th 2017 9:15 pm

Yup. same up here on the Central Coast, people drop kids off at school in their pyjamas with or without a bath robe, bare feet and hair in knots. Disgraceful, but see it every day.

spouse of scouse Jul 9th 2017 10:23 pm

People can wear whatever they like, no idea what anyone else would even care.

NickyC Jul 10th 2017 12:19 am

It seems like every person under the age of about 50 wears gym clothes all the time at the weekend. It's like a uniform - shoppers, walkers, coffee drinkers et al - all out and about in their tight pants doing their weekend stuff. Doubt half of them have ever been near a gym or done a yoga class.

Dropping the kids off at a private school in your gym clothes? You'd fit in very nicely.

Dorothy Jul 10th 2017 12:25 am

Originally Posted by NickyC (Post 12290508)

Dropping the kids off at a private school in your gym clothes? You'd fit in very nicely.

Don't forget the park sipping chai lattes with the other mums in their Lorna Jane uniforms.

spouse of scouse Jul 10th 2017 12:42 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 12290509)
Don't forget the park sipping chai lattes with the other mums in their Lorna Jane uniforms.

...and the bloody 4WDs, that have never been offroad and are never likely to :lol:

Dorothy Jul 10th 2017 12:47 am

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12290512)
...and the bloody 4WDs, that have never been offroad and are never likely to :lol:

:goodpost:

Beoz Jul 10th 2017 1:37 am

Where I live, eastern subs of Sydney, the yummy mummies are always wandering around in hot pants. Not sure if they are off to the gym after school drop off, or doing coffee with the ladies, but its the done thing around here.

LaLaLayla Jul 10th 2017 2:31 am

Thanks for all the replies. Gym kit it is then!

spuddyo Jul 10th 2017 4:53 am

Hot pants would be better :)

moneypenny20 Jul 10th 2017 5:01 am

Originally Posted by spuddyo (Post 12290435)
Yup. same up here on the Central Coast, people drop kids off at school in their pyjamas with or without a bath robe, bare feet and hair in knots. Disgraceful, but see it every day.

Disgraceful? Why? As long as the privates are covered up who the hell cares what people are wearing? I have honestly never understood this weird obsession (general, not you I don't think) people have with what other people, generally strangers, are wearing.

spuddyo Jul 10th 2017 9:30 pm

I'm just an old fashioned fogey with morals set back in dark ages. Don't mind me, I am just a grumpy old man and proud of it.