Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Etihad Airline - anyone used them?

Etihad Airline - anyone used them?

Old Mar 19th 2009, 1:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute
Default Etihad Airline - anyone used them?

HI

Sorry to be boring with yet another flight question, we are hoping to go back to the UK in July for my mother's wedding. As always, we can't really affors it, so OH is not coming to save on the cost a bit. Checking out various flight prices and Etihad could do us for $6400 approx, but not really heard much about them, has anyone used them?

Have used Qantas (very good entertainment, nice staff and frequent drinks, snacks and meals) and Malaysia (not so good entertainment system, not enough soft drinks offered and no snacks but better seats).

Any thoughts?

Sam
Old Mar 19th 2009, 1:26 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Etihad Airline - anyone used them?

Originally Posted by Sammy T
HI

Sorry to be boring with yet another flight question, we are hoping to go back to the UK in July for my mother's wedding. As always, we can't really affors it, so OH is not coming to save on the cost a bit. Checking out various flight prices and Etihad could do us for $6400 approx, but not really heard much about them, has anyone used them?

Have used Qantas (very good entertainment, nice staff and frequent drinks, snacks and meals) and Malaysia (not so good entertainment system, not enough soft drinks offered and no snacks but better seats).

Any thoughts?

Sam

Not used them myself but my son has.

They are fine....they are the UAE official airline and route through Abu Dhabi

There have been several threads about them...try a search

G
Old Mar 19th 2009, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Not used them myself but my son has.

They are fine....they are the UAE official airline and route through Abu Dhabi

There have been several threads about them...try a search

G
Will do, thanks.

Sam
Old Mar 19th 2009, 2:08 am
Forum Regular

dmpp will become famous soon enough

We did book through them but changed to Emrates and getting our money back was a big problem but as flying with them no experience. I have read that Abu Dhabi airport is a bit of a nightmare as it can't cope with the number of passengers.

We usually use onetime.com to book flights which lists most major airlines.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 3:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Son has, fine the usual economy experience. But AD airport a total nightmare, said that was not an experience he would wish to repeat.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 4:04 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

I've flown with them 3-4 times, and my ma just did the kangaroo route with them at my recommendation.

all their planes are very new, the food is good, they have great in-seat entertainment (personal video recorder, tons of movies etc), and the staff were all very good.

abu dhabi airport was initially too small, busy and noisy to cope with the airline's fast growth (they are state-owned: the "bosses" said emirates is stealing our thunder and the oil is running out; here's a huge amount of money; build an airline; don't come back until it's a success) BUT they have just (two months ago) opened a second terminal, which is quieter and more spacious. It's not a relaxing experience but it's not as bad as it was before. I wouldn't pay $100 extra to avoid it for two hours, think of it that way.

if you're travelling with anyone long-distance like that: seriously, buy a decent pair of earplugs (not just freebie foamies), your own stereo headphones (if you have them), don't drink booze, and bring a pillow. You can laugh, but they make all the difference.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 4:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for the info, will keep looking at prices over the next week and then decide.
Wouldn't really choose to return to the UK yet due to costs and still feeling unsettled here but really do think I should be there for my mum's wedding.

Thanks

Sam
Old Mar 19th 2009, 8:10 am
sjo
Forum Regular

sjo will become famous soon enough

Hi, we've flown Etihad and they were OK and would definitely use them again.

Also If you book online with Etihad you can choose which seats you want when booking.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

My friend regularly flies with them (though only to Dubai and Abu Dhabi) and she says that they are really good. Not sure about long haul, but for a large saving it's probably worth a chance. Ref Emirates, I'm having a huge problem with them at the moment with the admin side of things (they have charged £300 for me pressing the wrong key when booking - my fault, but there you go). Emirates do come highly recommended so we thought we'd give them a try. It would be interesting to know how you get on. Have a good flight.
Lorraine
Old Mar 19th 2009, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lorrielou
My friend regularly flies with them (though only to Dubai and Abu Dhabi) and she says that they are really good. Not sure about long haul, but for a large saving it's probably worth a chance. Ref Emirates, I'm having a huge problem with them at the moment with the admin side of things (they have charged £300 for me pressing the wrong key when booking - my fault, but there you go). Emirates do come highly recommended so we thought we'd give them a try. It would be interesting to know how you get on. Have a good flight.
Lorraine
Thanks, I think I read about your problems with booking online with Emirates, hope you can sort it out.

Sam
Old Mar 20th 2009, 7:30 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

image001.jpg
Attached Thumbnails Etihad Airline - anyone used them?-image001.jpg  
Old Mar 20th 2009, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

beaumonts is an unknown quantity at this point

now thats not very nice wol - is it? - both inlaws and my mother have flown etihad in the last 2 months both said was great - altho the stop in abu is not very nice
Old Mar 20th 2009, 9:06 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

It's quite a droll story, actually!

Airbus and Etihad personnel did a full power engine run on a brand new $200m A380 without ballast or chocks. With no flaps down the aircraft tried to stop what it thought was an incorrectly configured take-off, by sounding the takeoff warning horn. This was a bit distracting, so someone pulled its circuit breaker. This in turn lead the aircraft - clever things, these airplanes - to think it was airborne. One of its safety features is that it won't allow the pilots to land with the brakes on - so it released the brakes.

No-one thought to cut the power, so..........................

Red faces.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

OMG, I wouldn't want to be the poor bugger responsible for this mess (although it does sound a team effort!).
Old Mar 20th 2009, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Wol

Maybe not then .....

Sam

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.