Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ethnic TV presenters

Ethnic TV presenters

Old Jul 8th 2009, 11:30 pm

GSNR will become famous soon enoughGSNR will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Ethnic TV presenters

Originally Posted by dave99
Why is this a problem? I hope it doesnt get like england, where they start hiring people because they have a different ethnic background and want to fill a quota or not appear bias.

People should be hired on their qualifications and ability regardless of ethnic background.
Exactly!!! Why do people move to this country and then complain about everything. If they don't like it, why did they come here in the first place!!!
Old Jul 8th 2009, 11:34 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GSNR
Exactly!!! Why do people move to this country and then complain about everything. If they don't like it, why did they come here in the first place!!!
Numerous reasons - many of us came here for marriage and family reasons. Don't judge a person's motives until you have walked in their shoes.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 11:43 pm

GSNR will become famous soon enoughGSNR will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Numerous reasons - many of us came here for marriage and family reasons. Don't judge a person's motives until you have walked in their shoes.
I myself have moved here in hope of a better life.....
I am by no means judging anybody, but if this is the country people decide to make a new life in, then why should they complain ..... This is the country we have chosen to live in and we try our best to accept the way things are done here no matter how difficult it is!
There are many people all over the world that would love to live in Australia, but can't get in due to age, qualifications,etc, so I would say we are very lucky to be living here!!!
Old Jul 9th 2009, 12:40 am
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

Ahn DO, Jay Lagaya, also most of the kids playschool presenters...just off the top of my head...are they on SBS? think its ABC...
Old Jul 9th 2009, 12:49 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

I'm your typical yoghurt-weaver when it comes to PC issues but I think the OP has a false premise: firstly, it's not true that 100% of TV presenters are white, and secondly, I don't think there's a big underrepresentation (if any). Judging by these figures from wikipedia (which is always a terrible way to start an argument), I'm going to guess that the Australian population is 90-95% white: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Australia. Isn't that more or less the same as who reads the news? Or not?

In other words - THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT FACTS.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 12:54 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
I'm your typical yoghurt-weaver when it comes to PC issues but I think the OP has a false premise: firstly, it's not true that 100% of TV presenters are white, and secondly, I don't think there's a big underrepresentation (if any). Judging by these figures from wikipedia (which is always a terrible way to start an argument), I'm going to guess that the Australian population is 90-95% white: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Australia. Isn't that more or less the same as who reads the news? Or not?

In other words - THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT FACTS.
What the bloody-hell has bloody-white to do with bloody-ethnicity any-bloody-how?
Old Jul 9th 2009, 2:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WillBlack
I think most would identify Indira Naidoo as ethnically Australian with tinges of otherness.
What does ethnically Australian mean,as there is no such thing?
Old Jul 9th 2009, 2:48 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Definitions of Ethnic:
  • An ethnic group is a group of human beings whose members identify with each other, through a common heritage that is real or presumed
  • A group of people who identify with one another, especially on the basis of racial, cultural, or religious grounds
  • a minority group that retains some of the customs, language, or social views of the original group
  • people who share a commoon history, language,religion,and physical characteristics
Now we have to decide what definition we wish to use... and hope everyone used the same definition, otherwise we may talk at cross purposes..

Old Jul 9th 2009, 2:50 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Where did you pick that sentence from?

Anyway, here's an answer: http://www.answers.com/australian
Old Jul 9th 2009, 2:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Steady on now, its only 2009, dont want anything outrageous like OMG shock horro people of colour on TV now dow we

Heard a racist beauty this afternoon a beautiful little ethnic child was in woolies, coffee skin really stunning black eyes, older aussie woman went up to his mother and asked you from Africa woman in kiwi twang says no New Zealand
Yes steady on indeed.It would have been a brave station a decade or so back that would have risked ratings by allowing a non caucasian read the news. Remember it took awhile in this country before the white Anglo(WASP) dominated media machine allowed women to get a look in Sbs really broke the mould there and though it has been dumbed down a bit in recent years it is a station that thinking Australians can take some pride in.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 3:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by WillBlack
Where did you pick that sentence from?

Anyway, here's an answer: http://www.answers.com/australian
Um well ,actually from you sport,suggesting Indira Nahdoo being an ethnic Australian.Are you suggesting perhaps that you thought her aboriginal? Now most will agree that the so called Aboriginal is the first Australian but can we refer to them then as Australians? Is Australian then a race?So how does that impact on the people who came later they surely are Australian by birth or citizenship but not in race?
Old Jul 9th 2009, 3:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Definitions of Ethnic:

Now we have to decide what definition we wish to use... and hope everyone used the same definition, otherwise we may talk at cross purposes..
What you give there is a very broad term of the meaning of ethnic.So broad in fact that it at a pinch could almost include everybody.
Where does that leave the study Social Science of Ethnology i ask ?
Old Jul 9th 2009, 3:56 am
ABCDiamond

What you give there is a very broad term of the meaning of ethnic.So broad in fact that it at a pinch could almost include everybody.
And I ask: what is the study of Social Science of Ethnology ?
In the 20th century Ethnology has focused on the comparative study of past and contemporary cultures.
So then I wonder, what is a Contemporary Culture ?

Wow, this is so interesting, did you know that in 1952, Alfred Kroeber and Clyde Kluckhohn compiled a list of 164 definitions of "culture"...

Now I am confused.......

Old Jul 9th 2009, 4:58 am
Banned

Um well ,actually from you sport,suggesting Indira Nahdoo being an ethnic Australian.Are you suggesting perhaps that you thought her aboriginal? Now most will agree that the so called Aboriginal is the first Australian but can we refer to them then as Australians? Is Australian then a race?So how does that impact on the people who came later they surely are Australian by birth or citizenship but not in race?
Seems I have made the mistake of assuming that you are proficient in English, perhaps because your grammar and punctuation indicate so. Being kind, it appears that your vocabulary is deficient. Taking your words at face value, you appear to be a racist. I'm leaning toward the latter explanation.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 5:09 am
BE Enthusiast

micmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to all

ethnology - deals in part with the study of ethnicity.

In fact everyone has ethnicity, it’s just that very often the majority are not prompted to think about their own ethnic backgrounds hence we tend to think of ethnicity being related to the minority rather than the majority.

Last edited by micmay3_in_oz; Jul 9th 2009 at 5:16 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.