British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Ethnic Minority predjuice ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/ethnic-minority-predjuice-792886/)

captain-caveman Apr 4th 2013 1:19 pm

Ethnic Minority predjuice ?

I was wondering if anyone can comment what is the levels of predjuice towards ethnic minorities in Australia ?

Anyone got any experiences to share ?

spouse of scouse Apr 4th 2013 3:57 pm

Re: Ethnic Minority predjuice ?

Originally Posted by captain-caveman (Post 10640172)
I was wondering if anyone can comment what is the levels of predjuice towards ethnic minorities in Australia ?

Anyone got any experiences to share ?

Levels of prejudice - in what way? If you're talking about systemic prejudice, Australia's anti-discrimination laws are easily found on the web.

I'm probably an ethnic minority, with white Australian, indigenous Australian, English, Scottish and Swedish heritage. Anything I could tell you couldn't possibly help you to judge Australia as a country.

I'd be a bit wary of making any judgements based on a few bits of anecdotal evidence from strangers.

captain-caveman Apr 4th 2013 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 10640434)
Levels of prejudice - in what way? If you're talking about systemic prejudice, Australia's anti-discrimination laws are easily found on the web.

I'm probably an ethnic minority, with white Australian, indigenous Australian, English, Scottish and Swedish heritage. Anything I could tell you couldn't possibly help you to judge Australia as a country.

I'd be a bit wary of making any judgements based on a few bits of anecdotal evidence from strangers.

Am a visible ethnic minorty-Muslim/Asian/, but I remember reading this story on the bbc http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21468892

RedDragon2008 Apr 4th 2013 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by captain-caveman (Post 10640479)
Am a visible ethnic minorty-Muslim/Asian/, but I remember reading this story on the bbc http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21468892

You always get isolated idiots

If your asking if this is widespread? No. Does it happen? Yes. Is it accepted practise? No, hence the publicity.

:)

carolinephillips Apr 4th 2013 8:24 pm

In the cities there is less of it- particularly cosmopolitan Melbourne, and Sydney with its increasing ethnic population, but out in the sticks there is racism towards anyone who isn't Aussie born and bred, no matter what ethnicity you are. It is caused by resentment of the perceived "injustice" of migrants coming to take jobs and pushing the price of housing up.

As a white Pommie woman I've not had too many comments here in Sydney, just gentle ribbing, and I strike back with references to the poor showing of the cricket team if they nark me.

But a big caveat is that there is racism in the UK, and most countries that you go to. Aussies tend to come right out with it: in the UK, apart from the yob factor, it was more sly and underhand.

isgraham Apr 4th 2013 8:33 pm

You will experience less discrimination than say a maid from the phillipines or a building worker from india would experience in Saudi Arabia or Dubai who are visibly not Muslim.

Pomster Apr 5th 2013 11:30 pm

My SE Asian looking husband would say 'not particularly' .
He works in people's homes and was saying what a huge ethnic mix there is in Melbourne- recently his clients have been Somalian, Eritrean, Sudanese, as well as the usual Chinese/Vietnamese/Greek/Italian/even white Euros.

Petals Apr 7th 2013 6:39 am

Yes I believe there is prejudice towards the muslim community but a lot of it is brought on themselves by their demands for this and that which other communities do not expect. Aussies are not a fans of people not looking fter their own communities. Also a few fire brand types tend to make most Aussies tar them with the same brush. I think we all have our own beliefs and creeds but we need to keep them private and in our own homes and not in the wider social area for harmony.

Muslim dress does attract attention from some yobs as anyone who wears something different does.

RedDragon2008 Apr 7th 2013 6:48 am

Originally Posted by Petals (Post 10644317)
Yes I believe there is prejudice towards the muslim community but a lot of it is brought on themselves by their demands for this and that which other communities do not expect.

So all the posters looking for centrelink and family benefit advice can expect racial taunts when they arrive?

So when a Donation is requested for a Christian hospice or school I can heave racial abuse on them ??? because as you have stated they brought it on themselves.

You must have been drinking or live closer to Frankston towncentre than you make out.

chochobnob Apr 7th 2013 7:03 am

Short answer: If you are an educated, well spoken, British ethnic minority with any sort of well paid professional job. Prepare to be hated and for Aussies to be visibly uncomfortable in your presence. You will unsettle them.

You tick all the wrong boxes. Foreign, Pommie, ethnic, successful, intelligent and with enough worldly skills to not spend 50 years living in their home town (Aussie style).

If you are the kind of minority who doesn't prick the average Australians massive inferiority complex you'll be fine, they'll ignore you or at worst patronise you.

Sorry, year seven in Australia, seen too much, making plans to get back to the UK. Wonderful country but the locals suck big hairy balls.

spouse of scouse Apr 7th 2013 10:45 am

Originally Posted by chochobnob (Post 10644340)
Short answer: If you are an educated, well spoken, British ethnic minority with any sort of well paid professional job. Prepare to be hated and for Aussies to be visibly uncomfortable in your presence. You will unsettle them.

You tick all the wrong boxes. Foreign, Pommie, ethnic, successful, intelligent and with enough worldly skills to not spend 50 years living in their home town (Aussie style).

If you are the kind of minority who doesn't prick the average Australians massive inferiority complex you'll be fine, they'll ignore you or at worst patronise you.

Sorry, year seven in Australia, seen too much, making plans to get back to the UK. Wonderful country but the locals suck big hairy balls.

Look on the bright side. Your massive superiority complex has cancelled out one massive inferiority complex :)

OzTennis Apr 7th 2013 11:12 am

Evenly balanced - massive chip on each shoulder. :D

Beoz Apr 7th 2013 11:17 am

Don't let the door smack you in the arse on your way out.

Beoz Apr 7th 2013 11:22 am

You'll be fine. If you are really worried about looking out of place just live in Sydney's west

CVarney Apr 8th 2013 7:43 am

Meeting up with recruitment consultants in Brisbane my husband and i were told that we sould expect to be paid lower than someone else with the same experence and we havent worked in Australia before.