Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

ETA's and one way flights???

ETA's and one way flights???

Old Mar 4th 2007, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

Nette is an unknown quantity at this point
Question ETA's and one way flights???

Does anyone know if you are allowed to enter Australia on an ETA visa if you do not have a return flight booked??

Our dilemma is that we are emigrating to Adelaide in July and my mum would like to come out with us on holiday. She would like to come out on an ETA visa and see how it goes. If she enjoys it, she would then like to apply for a longer tourist visa to stay more than 12 months.

She can prove that she has the funds to buy a return flight to the UK at any time should it be required.

Is she allowed to enter the country without a return ticket??

Many thanks for any advice.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 3:19 pm
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ETA's and one way flights???

as far as i know she can as long as she applies for an extended stay visa at least a couple of weeks before her eta expires. she could also go to NZ for a couple of days and reenter from there, after getting another eta of course
if i am wrong i am sure someone will let you know
Old Mar 4th 2007, 3:30 pm
Karoola!!!!!!

GaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by louise4
as far as i know she can as long as she applies for an extended stay visa at least a couple of weeks before her eta expires. she could also go to NZ for a couple of days and reenter from there, after getting another eta of course
if i am wrong i am sure someone will let you know
As far as I know a ETA lasts for 12 months but you can only stay for 3 months at a time. Which like the person above says tell your mum to hop to NZ or another place outside Australia. This could include Singapore or one of the pacific islands. There are lots of cheap flights to some of the places listed.
I would ask one of the migration agents for some advise.
Gary and Vikky
Old Mar 4th 2007, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

I know that the ETA only lasts for 3 months and that is fine.

So can she enter the country on an ETA without a return ticket???

Sorry, i'm still confused!!!!!!! It doesn't take much!!
Old Mar 4th 2007, 4:39 pm
patience is a virtue !!!!

jo andy + 2 is a jewel in the roughjo andy + 2 is a jewel in the roughjo andy + 2 is a jewel in the roughjo andy + 2 is a jewel in the roughjo andy + 2 is a jewel in the rough

Hi,
I have just applied and received (12hrs later) for eta for 12 months for my parents as they wanted to come for a few months,, maybe more,, it only cost 70 dollars and lets them visit for a max 6 months at a time...did it on int subclass 626.
airline wouldnt let me book 1 way ticket for them, said they had to have visa..

hope this helps

Jo
Old Mar 4th 2007, 4:42 pm

jo andy + 2 is a jewel in the roughjo andy + 2 is a jewel in the roughjo andy + 2 is a jewel in the roughjo andy + 2 is a jewel in the roughjo andy + 2 is a jewel in the rough

they had to have 12 month visa so as i could book them a longer return ticket....not allowed 1 way on eta ,,thats what i meant !!! iim getting confused now....lol

Jo
Old Mar 4th 2007, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

Another couple of questions??

If your parents have been granted a 12 month visa, why are they only allowed to stay for 6 months at a time??

Also, now they have been granted a visa for a longer stay, can entry to Australia be gained on a one way ticket????

I'm still confused by it all!!! I'll be glad when we're all finally there!!
Old Mar 4th 2007, 6:45 pm
jonah

jonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud of

Hi

I think the best thing you can do is telephone immigration in London at £1 per minute or stay up till midnight and ring OZ directly to speak with them.

It is difficult to answer your questions as different types of visitor/tourist visas carry different restrictions on length of stay, fligts, work entitlements, no further stay etc etc.

I can say that a 3month evisa ($20 on internet) requires you to have a return ticket to UK. We had the same senario and planned to make a short trip to NZ or Fiji and then return to OZ for another 3 months. Was told by immigation that this was not possible as we needed a return to UK. Told us we needed a 676 tourist visa and a return ticket. Very confusing but thats what the man said

Give them a ring

Good Luck
Old Mar 4th 2007, 8:27 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I think on an ETA visa you have to have a return ticket. It's not worth getting to Australia and having her tourist visa cancelled because they think she intends to stay permanently. Just be sure to get a ticket that can be changed and if she is granted a longer holiday visa then you can change the date to when she is ready to go home.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 8:28 pm

I meant 676,,,told u i was confused.

If you phone the airline they will tell you wether or not you can book one way. they told us we couldnt.

676 is a multiple entry tourist visa, allowing each visit for upto 6 months.

Jo
Old Mar 4th 2007, 8:33 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Any airline will sell you a one-way ticket if you insist on it! Someone on an ETA can enter without a return ticket, but will probably be questioned as to why they haven't got one and when they intend to leave. If your mum arrives at the same time as you,with all of you on migration visas and her only on a tourist one, it will look to Immigration as if she intends to stay and there is always the possibility that they may refuse her entry without a return ticket for just this reason.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 11:14 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Any airline will sell you a one-way ticket if you insist on it! Someone on an ETA can enter without a return ticket, but will probably be questioned as to why they haven't got one and when they intend to leave. If your mum arrives at the same time as you,with all of you on migration visas and her only on a tourist one, it will look to Immigration as if she intends to stay and there is always the possibility that they may refuse her entry without a return ticket for just this reason.

This is correct. There is no mandatory requirement for a return ticket on an ETA however there is a requirement that all those arriving as tourists (ETA or regular tourist visa) be "genuine visitors". If the question is asked by Immigration on arrival, lack of a return ticket may well be a problem.

Some airlines may refuse to sell a one way to those on an ETA. That is a matter of airline policy.