Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

ETA Visa / Qantas cock-up story

ETA Visa / Qantas cock-up story

Old Oct 21st 2006, 8:14 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile ETA Visa / Qantas cock-up story

My BIL turned up at Heathrow last week to check in on his Qantas flight to Melbourne. He had got his ETA online, and although the ETA website says you don't need to do this, he had printed off the ETA page with the reference number confirming he had bought one.

So imagine his surprise when he checked in and Qantas said there was no record of him having an ETA and they were not going to let him board the plane!!! This despite the fact that he showed them the piece of paper with the receipt on it.

He was told he had to rush off to an internet facility on the airport and buy another ETA!

Who is responsible for this cock-up? DIMA or Qantas? And (should he bother for the $20) who should he go to for a refund??? Like he has any chance of getting one....

Anyone else heard of this occurrence?

Buzzy
Old Oct 21st 2006, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of
Default Re: ETA Visa / Qantas cock-up story

I am so old-fashioned, what's an ETA?
Old Oct 21st 2006, 8:22 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: ETA Visa / Qantas cock-up story

Originally Posted by flip
I am so old-fashioned, what's an ETA?
Electronic Travel Authority - visitors visa online.

Buzzy
Old Oct 21st 2006, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
My BIL turned up at Heathrow last week to check in on his Qantas flight to Melbourne. He had got his ETA online, and although the ETA website says you don't need to do this, he had printed off the ETA page with the reference number confirming he had bought one.

So imagine his surprise when he checked in and Qantas said there was no record of him having an ETA and they were not going to let him board the plane!!! This despite the fact that he showed them the piece of paper with the receipt on it.

He was told he had to rush off to an internet facility on the airport and buy another ETA!

Who is responsible for this cock-up? DIMA or Qantas? And (should he bother for the $20) who should he go to for a refund??? Like he has any chance of getting one....

Anyone else heard of this occurrence?

Buzzy
Something similiar happened to my other half a couple of years ago with BA. Turned up for flight check in at Heathrow bound for Melbourne, and check in staff said they couldnt find any record of him having an ETA. Because he worked for BA at the time, the ETA was done through his work, and it turned out there was a typo on the spelling of his name, which is why they couldn't find it. It took about 45 minutes to sort out and it was touch or go whether we would make the flight. Thankfully everything turned out ok.
Old Oct 21st 2006, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Electronic Travel Authority - visitors visa online.

Buzzy
That's better than I thought, I'd guessed you meant he had to buy another ticket. Very scary at the time for him though I guess.
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

sue and mick is a jewel in the roughsue and mick is a jewel in the roughsue and mick is a jewel in the roughsue and mick is a jewel in the roughsue and mick is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by flip
That's better than I thought, I'd guessed you meant he had to buy another ticket. Very scary at the time for him though I guess.
Hi everyone

we are off to perth 31/1/07 to validate our visa do we need eta's we booked our flight through austravel and they said we did not need one as we will be aussie residents once our passports are stamped

sue
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 1:56 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Originally Posted by sue and mick
Hi everyone

we are off to perth 31/1/07 to validate our visa do we need eta's we booked our flight through austravel and they said we did not need one as we will be aussie residents once our passports are stamped

sue
err yes that is correct.

ETAs are for short-term tourists.

Buzzy
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 2:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

One thing you definitely do after you get an ETA online is to go back to the site and enter the reference number you get when you apply - to prove it exists. Print this out so you have a hardcopy and write your passport number, date of birth and nationality on here as well.

http://www.eta.immi.gov.au/

If you have done it correctly and have a printout to prove it, there are only 4 reasons why it won't come up at the airport - if the incorrect passport number, date of birth, nationality or reference number is inputted at the check-in desk. If you have a problem make sure these 4 details are correct. I certainly wouldn't go and apply for another one if I'd already paid and proved it exists and some 'jobsworth' can't input the details correctly!

OzTennis

Last edited by OzTennis; Oct 23rd 2006 at 2:10 pm.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

sue and mick is a jewel in the roughsue and mick is a jewel in the roughsue and mick is a jewel in the roughsue and mick is a jewel in the roughsue and mick is a jewel in the rough

err yes that is correct.

ETAs are for short-term tourists.

Buzzy

Thanks buzzy for your reply, but please excuse me having a dizzy blonde moment but we are only going for 3 weeks to validate our visa and then returning later in year for good so will we be classed as short term tourists on our validation trip so will need eta's and as there is 5 of us it will cost us 100 sqids, so just double checking, many thanks

sue
Old Oct 25th 2006, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks buzzy for your reply, but please excuse me having a dizzy blonde moment but we are only going for 3 weeks to validate our visa and then returning later in year for good so will we be classed as short term tourists on our validation trip so will need eta's and as there is 5 of us it will cost us 100 sqids, so just double checking, many thanks

sue
NO! Applying for an ETA will invalidate your other visas so do not get an ETA!
Old Oct 25th 2006, 11:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

sue
5 ETA's will cost $100 if you do it online for yourself, I have no doubt an agent or travel agent will charge you 100 squids or $250 for doing what you can do yourself in a jiffy.

http://www.eta.immi.gov.au/

OzTennis
Old Oct 25th 2006, 11:37 am
Victorian Evangelist

What Teliko said.

You only need 1 sort of visa and by the sound of it you have 1 already.

Buzzy
Old Oct 25th 2006, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Teliko21
thanks for that teliko21 you seem pretty sure about that so i think i wont be doing that .

many thanks

sue
Old Oct 25th 2006, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for that teliko21 you seem pretty sure about that so i think i wont be doing that .

many thanks

sue
Hehe yep I am absolutely positive about it You can only hold 1 type of visa for Oz at a time hence each time a new visa is granted it automatically invalidates the previous visa.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 12:02 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teliko21
Since 1 July 2002 an ETA can't legally take effect if another visa is held. But in general this is good advice, for example a regular tourist visa will cancel a permanent visa.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.