Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

ETA, criminal record

ETA, criminal record

Old Mar 10th 2003, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

carey/steve is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ETA, criminal record

Can anyone advise? We are going to oz in April on holiday, have today tried to do eta and found out we can,t apply in the normal way because my husband has a criminal record!! His conviction was 11 years ago for obstruction and drunk and disorderly he served no time but got a suspended sentence. As we do not have time to do this by post through our travel agent, (as they say it can take 3 to 4 weeks) he has to go to the australian embassy in person. Of course we are really worried about this, if he arrives early does anyone know how long it might take. or in the worst case might he be refused? Anyone any experience of this?
Please send private messages if you do not want to discuss this on the forum

Thanks
Carey
Old Mar 11th 2003, 7:35 am

Debbie Jo has a spectacular aura aboutDebbie Jo has a spectacular aura aboutDebbie Jo has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: ETA, criminal record

Originally posted by carey/steve
Can anyone advise? We are going to oz in April on holiday, have today tried to do eta and found out we can,t apply in the normal way because my husband has a criminal record!! His conviction was 11 years ago for obstruction and drunk and disorderly he served no time but got a suspended sentence. As we do not have time to do this by post through our travel agent, (as they say it can take 3 to 4 weeks) he has to go to the australian embassy in person. Of course we are really worried about this, if he arrives early does anyone know how long it might take. or in the worst case might he be refused? Anyone any experience of this?
Please send private messages if you do not want to discuss this on the forum

Thanks
Carey
Hi Carey
Who told you you can,t have the ETA was it the travel agent because after 11 years i thing your husbands conviction may not be on record. If this is the case for the sake of £10 try to get the ETA if the Embassy refuse then ring them as iam sure they have set times for you to go and see them.
I don,t think they will refuse an ETA when his coviction was so long ago. We all make mistakes in our youth.

Debbie Jo
Old Mar 11th 2003, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

carey/steve is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ETA, criminal record

Originally posted by Debbie Jo
Hi Carey
Who told you you can,t have the ETA was it the travel agent because after 11 years i thing your husbands conviction may not be on record. If this is the case for the sake of £10 try to get the ETA if the Embassy refuse then ring them as iam sure they have set times for you to go and see them.
I don,t think they will refuse an ETA when his coviction was so long ago. We all make mistakes in our youth.

Debbie Jo
Hi Debbie jo thanks for reply, i have been told by the travel agent (trailfinders) that it,s best if you declare your record because if you don,t and they find out at alater stage that you have entered the country on an eta without declaring, then they might exclude you in the future.This is something we don,t want as obviously we are applying for PR. I think what alot of people do is go and not say anything , either they are:- not worried because they know it,s not a problem or they take a chance and not follow the letter of the law.
Maybe we are worrying about nothing as we always do!!!
I would still like to here from people whe know for deffinite, maybe nobody knows!!!! Who knows!!!!

As sully4441 has pointed out i have perfected the art of being ignored!