Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

estate agents in Oz should wear stripey jumpers

estate agents in Oz should wear stripey jumpers

Old May 13th 2008, 5:47 am
BE Enthusiast

raven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to behold
Default estate agents in Oz should wear stripey jumpers

Just had Ray White in to value our home on the sunny coast and they want 20,000 to market it and the cheeky b s a rds expect us to pay for our own advertising. Do they think i am mad!!!.I am in no hurry to sell so i am going to try onerealty only 1% plus $500 up front. Ray white could not offer any more than theses guys.. go on same website do same open houses . I am gobsmacked at what the so called biggys charge 5% for first 18000 then 2.5% after that . UNREAL
Raven
Old May 13th 2008, 5:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: estate agents in Oz should wear stripey jumpers

Originally Posted by raven
Just had Ray White in to value our home on the sunny coast and they want 20,000 to market it and the cheeky b s a rds expect us to pay for our own advertising. Do they think i am mad!!!.I am in no hurry to sell so i am going to try onerealty only 1% plus $500 up front. Ray white could not offer any more than theses guys.. go on same website do same open houses . I am gobsmacked at what the so called biggys charge 5% for first 18000 then 2.5% after that . UNREAL
Raven
Yep, another thing thats seriously expensive in OZ. But that is the standard REIQ fee, and they always want advertising money on top.

I too would give the 1% guys a go.
Old May 13th 2008, 6:03 am
BE Enthusiast

raven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Yep, another thing thats seriously expensive in OZ. But that is the standard REIQ fee, and they always want advertising money on top.

I too would give the 1% guys a go.
Absolutely nothing to lose. Like everything else internet will eventually swallow the greedy sods up. Look at travel agents in uk all succombed to the internet
Old May 13th 2008, 6:50 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raven
Absolutely nothing to lose. Like everything else internet will eventually swallow the greedy sods up. Look at travel agents in uk all succombed to the internet
Salespeople are motivated and incentivised by commision. Your capped and low % commision agents may have less incentive to put effort into marketing your property - they need to turn over much greater volume to make the same commision as a 2.5% 'typical' agent. Consequently, it's in their interest to get your property off their books as quickly as possible and they are less likely to put in the effort to secure you top dollar / more likely to pressure you to accept lower offers.

On a $500k property the difference betwen Ray White and onerealty is about $7k. That could be less than one bid at an auction.

I'm not an RE agent by the way, but I have used Ray White and found them a very professional organisation.
Old May 13th 2008, 6:54 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

suppose it must depend what you/they mean by "advertising"
our real estate agents charged $15K
for that we got adverts in the paper every week, ad on realestate.com.au and as many home opens as we wanted
we got them to knock $2K off in the end as well
at the end of the day, our house was sold within 6 weeks so yes, a lot of money but we were happy with the end result
Old May 13th 2008, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bridie
suppose it must depend what you/they mean by "advertising"
our real estate agents charged $15K
for that we got adverts in the paper every week, ad on realestate.com.au and as many home opens as we wanted
we got them to knock $2K off in the end as well
at the end of the day, our house was sold within 6 weeks so yes, a lot of money but we were happy with the end result
In qld u have to pay for your own advertising at $400 a time it isnt cheap. Thats on top of the 17000 NOT CHEAP
Old May 13th 2008, 9:08 am
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bcworld
On a $500k property the difference betwen Ray White and onerealty is about $7k. That could be less than one bid at an auction.
7k is a shit load of money though, half of this (with the advertising thrown in) would still be a very tidy sum for the service they offer. And have you ever seen a poor RE Agent.
Old May 13th 2008, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bcworld
Salespeople are motivated and incentivised by commision. Your capped and low % commision agents may have less incentive to put effort into marketing your property - they need to turn over much greater volume to make the same commision as a 2.5% 'typical' agent. Consequently, it's in their interest to get your property off their books as quickly as possible and they are less likely to put in the effort to secure you top dollar / more likely to pressure you to accept lower offers.

I'm not an RE agent by the way, but I have used Ray White and found them a very professional organisation.
The differance on my property is actually 10000 and, 1 per cent only is a franchise so i suppose you may be right on trying to make me sell for less. b ut i still think that for 500 dollars they are worth trying out for a 60 day period and if it doesnt work out then i will have no option but to pay..(still think its daylight robberie though)
Old May 13th 2008, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Betty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe you could try selling it yourselves? There is not much to it really, we just had a for sale sign made up, plonked it in the front garden, advertised in the Sunday paper for a home open and sold it that weekend, think it cost a couple of hundred dollars all up. We used the same settlement agent we used for our last house and got a discount on that too. We saved ourselves a heap of money, certainly enough to pay for the move back