Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Estate agents, medicals and box jelly fish!

Estate agents, medicals and box jelly fish!

Old Jun 2nd 2006, 11:44 am
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Vernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Estate agents, medicals and box jelly fish!

Well it is the school holidays and I am busy writing reports (so much for teachers getting loads of time off!) and drifting off thinking about Australia. We are booked in for our medicals in two weeks which is great and we instructed an estate agent yesterday and had 4 viewings on the first day so finally things feel like they are moving.

I was wondering about box jellyfish and how far down the coast they come. My husbands family have reacted very badly to the move and I have been banished from the fold (in the words of the dad in the film Meet the parents, I am no longer in the circle of trust!!) and when they do speak to my husband all they have to say is how horrible it will be and that we wont be able to swim in the sea because of the jelly fish - just thinking about them makes me want to scream (his family that is, bring on the jelly fish they are nothing compared to the sting his family have gven over the past few months)

So how far down the east coast do the box jelly fish come?
Thanks guys
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 11:53 am
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Estate agents, medicals and box jelly fish!

Originally Posted by Vernons
Well it is the school holidays and I am busy writing reports (so much for teachers getting loads of time off!) and drifting off thinking about Australia. We are booked in for our medicals in two weeks which is great and we instructed an estate agent yesterday and had 4 viewings on the first day so finally things feel like they are moving.

I was wondering about box jellyfish and how far down the coast they come. My husbands family have reacted very badly to the move and I have been banished from the fold (in the words of the dad in the film Meet the parents, I am no longer in the circle of trust!!) and when they do speak to my husband all they have to say is how horrible it will be and that we wont be able to swim in the sea because of the jelly fish - just thinking about them makes me want to scream (his family that is, bring on the jelly fish they are nothing compared to the sting his family have gven over the past few months)

So how far down the east coast do the box jelly fish come?
Thanks guys
Try not to take the family thing too hard. They're obviously just upset that you're going and I guess they'd rather swim in the Bristol Channel!

Where abouts in Oz are you heading?? I think the general rule about box jelly fish (and crocs I believe) is that Rockhampton is roughly how far south they come.

I may be wrong but I believe box jelly fish are not what you really need to worry about if swimming in the sea. (Althogh if you DO get stung by one then you're in big trouble ). Box jelly fish tend to be more numerous after local rain, near river and creek outlets, they are not usually found over coral, in deep water.

It's the Irukandji jellyfish (size of your thumbnail and see through) which are what cause most stings (although these are rarely fatal). I believe the season is October - May.

Hope this helps (a bit )

Graham

Last edited by northerner; Jun 2nd 2006 at 11:55 am.
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 12:01 pm
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Box Jellies are not your friend

http://library.thinkquest.org/C007974/2_1box.htm

To the OP. Don't worry about it. Get a pool
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 12:05 pm
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
Box Jellies are not your friend

http://library.thinkquest.org/C007974/2_1box.htm

To the OP. Don't worry about it. Get a pool
Indeed. To quote from another website regarding box jellyfish

"You have virtually no chance of surviving the venomous sting, unless treated immediately. The pain is so excruciating and overwhelming that you would most likely go into shock and drown before reaching the shore. So don't go swimming alone! Be sure to know the first aid procedures."

All I can say is :scared:

Graham
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 12:16 pm
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by northerner
Indeed. To quote from another website regarding box jellyfish

"You have virtually no chance of surviving the venomous sting, unless treated immediately. The pain is so excruciating and overwhelming that you would most likely go into shock and drown before reaching the shore. So don't go swimming alone! Be sure to know the first aid procedures."

All I can say is :scared:

Graham
Yep.....but it's nowhere near as deadly as the Milsitt
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 12:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

What, not asking about all the other envenomators?

Various land and sea snake species, spiders, blue-ringed octopus, stone fish, cone fish etc etc etc

And not forgetting crocodiles.

You can tell him/them that it's not like the country hasn't been lived in for 40K+ years!

This site: http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006250450,00.html gives a great reason for leaving the UK.......although of course Oz also has wildboar.
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Vernons

Sounds like a summer swim outside the stinger nets for someone is called for.....

WW
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 2:28 pm
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Vernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks you have all cheered me up
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 11:58 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Box jellyfish and crocs are only in the far northern tropical parts of OZ like far northern queensland , the Northern territory, where few people live.
There are'nt any in the beaches in Southern Queensland and WA, NSW, VIC, SA , WHere most of the population of OZ goes swimmming, Only around 1 person every 2 years is killed buy a box jellyfish in OZ. Your more likely to be killed by a bee or wasp sting in OZ then a shark or any creature while swimming in the ocean, The only real danger swimming in the ocean in OZ is drowning.

Last edited by Lord Pom Percy; Jun 3rd 2006 at 12:01 am.