Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Estate Agents How Did You choose??

Estate Agents How Did You choose??

Old Oct 17th 2005, 1:02 pm
Happy Member

kris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Estate Agents How Did You choose??

well we have almost finished giving the place a lick of paint made arrangements for 5 of the buggers to come round and give us a valuation!!

One has just been seemed ok as far as any of em can ,how do you choose which one to market your property?

We have told them we are moving into my parents house as they are going to Spain, and we can not move til April!!

So how did you decide which of the lying buggers to use!!

kris xx
Old Oct 17th 2005, 1:30 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Estate Agents How Did You choose??

I asked "Would you lie to me?" and if they said "No", I said "OK, I'll choose you."

Old Oct 17th 2005, 1:32 pm
Happy Member

kris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Estate Agents How Did You choose??

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I asked "Would you lie to me?" and if they said "No", I said "OK, I'll choose you."

Mmmmm could be the way to go!! Although dont want to go multi agency just yet

Kris xx
Old Oct 17th 2005, 1:33 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Estate Agents How Did You choose??

Originally Posted by kris maynard
Mmmmm could be the way to go!!
I can guarantee, it works every time.

After all, I wouldn't lie to you!
Old Oct 17th 2005, 1:36 pm
Happy Member

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I can guarantee, it works every time.

After all, I wouldn't lie to you!

LOL
Old Oct 17th 2005, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kris maynard
well we have almost finished giving the place a lick of paint made arrangements for 5 of the buggers to come round and give us a valuation!!

One has just been seemed ok as far as any of em can ,how do you choose which one to market your property?

We have told them we are moving into my parents house as they are going to Spain, and we can not move til April!!

So how did you decide which of the lying buggers to use!!

kris xx

Ask them round to value the house and the one that leaves the smallest slime trail up the drive is the one to use

John
Old Oct 17th 2005, 3:19 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

We got three agents out and got them to go through and value the house. Then we talked their fees. I asked them what the did for their fees and pushed and pushed until I liked their answer...then got them to lower their fees a little more and then went back to the other agents and got them to lower their price for the same work and went for the lowest and best service...

Play them off against each other. There are so many of them around that you can afford to be choosy!!!
Old Oct 17th 2005, 3:25 pm
Drifting back to earth

wavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond repute

We put our house on the market just over a week ago with Fox & Sons. We got three people around as well. Luckily two out of the three valued it at the same price which made it a bit easier. The third we didn't really like anyway so he was out of the equation. We tried to negotiate on the rate but couldn't get anywhere. We got 1.6% so didn't think it too bad compared to the others which were 2%. The only thing we've done which they didn't like was put them on a 6 week contract and we'll move at the end of those 6 weeks if they haven't tried particularly hard. It's up to them then. We had 4 viewings in the first week and have heard nothing since. We'll see! Good luck anyway!
Old Oct 17th 2005, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

I had the same dilemma a couple of weeks ago. Had 3 round. Totally different opinions on the value. After lots of thought I went for the one who thought he could get the most for the place!

Who knows, it may be the wrong decision but if I can get an extra £15K for it then that's an extra $35K Aussie dollars in our fund.

I get a marketing update call on Mondays and I just keep reminding them that the clock is ticking on their contract and if they want to recoup the money they've spent on marketing it they have less time every week.

As a point to note (and I don't know if all scumbags - no sorry that should read estate agents ) are the same - the stated 'tie in' period shown on the contract was X weeks (they initially wanted 16!) BUT it was only at the end of these 16 weeks that I could give 2 weeks notice. That would have been 18 WEEKS :scared:

Got them down to 10 + 2 weeks notice in the end so it's worth bargaining on that aspect as well as the comission.
Old Oct 17th 2005, 4:25 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

I had a series of Qs to ask them, ranging from: is the valuation given the figure you will market at? what are the selling points? what are the drawbacks of the property? is there anything we can do to help sell the property? etc. (I think I might have posted the question list a few months back)

Their responses, what I thought of the person (a couple were v slimy, did not appeal to me so why would they a buyer?) and critically the fee helped decide. A few had v few properties in my bracket on their books, making them unatractive. Only 2 made sugggestions of what could be done, there rest saying there was nothing which showed they did not look at the property with much thought.

I would not be tied in with any agent for more than 4wks - if they can do their job then there should be no reason to change.

As for fee I did have difficulty getting them down, but have agreed that if they get within £x of the asking price they get the % they want, if lower the % is a tad lower.

Although saying that we had an offer <90% of the asking price and we were being pushed to think that was a reasonable amount - from their view 90% of the commission is better than nothing, so of course he was pushing it.