Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

the essentials....

the essentials....

Old Oct 23rd 2004, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

sunny side up has a spectacular aura aboutsunny side up has a spectacular aura aboutsunny side up has a spectacular aura about
Default the essentials....

its really happening now - got the flight booked for 8 december, have to get out of the house by 17 november....so i'm packing.... :scared:

i'll be sending a few boxes by air or sea but i'm wondering what stuff i should have in my check-in baggage - what (apart from clothes and all that other stuff) will i desperatly need in perth in my first few weeks (expecting it to take a while if i send it by sea because of x-mas and all that)....i'm completely clueless at the moment....

what did you all bring - or not bring and really miss when you got there???

tanja
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 5:57 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the essentials....

ok I will start the list

-anything related to applying for jobs - copies of CV/qualification certification (back up CV/list of contacts on a eg yahoo account that can be accessed from internet places)

- documentation like birth certificates, driving licence, valuable jewelry (ie stuff that is hard to or cannot be replaced), car insurance no claims

- bank statments/letter from landlord showing regular payments for mortgage/rent

all the best
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 6:10 pm
Go Banana's !!

Make a copy or save a file which imports your favourites from your computer.

All those useful links you have saved up for the day you finally get there come in handy. I also made a master copy of all my files, CV etc onto CD so that I had everything just in case the computer went duff on the journey.

I'm not brilliant tecnically but someone did a thread on it once so if you do a search you should be able to work out how to do it and save them - unless you will have your own PC available straightaway anyway.

Good luck

Warren

Old Oct 23rd 2004, 6:10 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by walaj
ok I will start the list

-anything related to applying for jobs - copies of CV/qualification certification (back up CV/list of contacts on a eg yahoo account that can be accessed from internet places)

- documentation like birth certificates, driving licence, valuable jewelry (ie stuff that is hard to or cannot be replaced), car insurance no claims

- bank statments/letter from landlord showing regular payments for mortgage/rent

all the best

Dont forget to seperate precious negatives from the photo albumbs/wallets, so at least if the photos get lost you can reprint. The negatives wont take up much room in your luggage anyway.

Lucy
x
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 6:15 pm
Go Banana's !!

Oh and a couple of extra travel adaptors so your not limited whilst you gradually change over all your electrical stuff.

Warren

Old Oct 23rd 2004, 8:44 pm
Badge

if negatives are a pain, scan all old non digital photos to CD
burn all fav digital photographs to CD

you can print and frame on arrival and hey presto you feel much more at home.

Old Oct 23rd 2004, 11:13 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sunny side up
its really happening now - got the flight booked for 8 december, have to get out of the house by 17 november....so i'm packing.... :scared:

i'll be sending a few boxes by air or sea but i'm wondering what stuff i should have in my check-in baggage - what (apart from clothes and all that other stuff) will i desperatly need in perth in my first few weeks (expecting it to take a while if i send it by sea because of x-mas and all that)....i'm completely clueless at the moment....

what did you all bring - or not bring and really miss when you got there???

tanja
The thing I missed most was my Swiss Army Knife, which I'd carefully packed in one of our check-in suitcases. In the end, we didn't take that case - and so my knife with its corkscrew, bottle opener, scissors, tweezers, nail files, pen knives, etc etc traveled with the rest of our stuff in the container. Unfortunately this meant that for 9 weeks, we had to buy screwtop bottles, and live with straggly 'Dennis Healey'-style eyebrows and long scary :scared: sharp nails, until the container arrived....

Anya.
Old Oct 24th 2004, 1:55 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Exciting stuff Tanja, happens quickly doesnt it

All the above I would suggest, plus bring any medicines/herbals/contraception you might be on and make sure you have at least two months supply with you.

You might want to bring a couple of work/interview clothes, but can probably reason that (unless you're one of the lucky ones!) you wont have job till your container arrives, so wont need too much of this stuff.

I bought a little bear to bring with me (has an England shirt on - from Euro'04). I'm not really a cuddly toy person, but having something "native" was quite nice

Bring your address book with you if you have one!

Also make sure you bring a copy of your degree/diploma/high school certificate etc, as some companies may want to see this.

Good luck with everything!