Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Escape the teenage yobs

Escape the teenage yobs

Old Oct 12th 2005, 9:49 pm
Account Closed

eatstatic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Escape the teenage yobs

No need for ASBOs in Utopia, or is there?

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/...796614626.html
Old Oct 12th 2005, 10:04 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Escape the teenage yobs

One measly news story about one single gang of teens? Luxury!

If I had a quid for every story like this that I've seen since coming to the UK... :scared:
Old Oct 12th 2005, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

swimmingsaintee will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Escape the teenage yobs

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
One measly news story about one single gang of teens? Luxury!

If I had a quid for every story like this that I've seen since coming to the UK... :scared:

Hmm. 1 of the reasons I want to go is that I have 4 kids ( boys). We live in a small village here in Scotland - it's really lovely, pretty middle class etc etc but there's " nothing to do " ( particularly when it's raining / snowing/blowing a gale.) At week ends I see kids ( 13/14) hanging around on the street drinking cans of special etc. Our kids are fine, so far, but already the oldest who is 13 is under pressure from mates to try things. I was brought up in our nearest town which is pretty small by most standards but full of drunken kids at week ends and really a threatening place to be - really sad when you've spent 40 years there.It just seems to me that alcohol plays too big a part in their lives already. Our limited experiences of both Australia and also America have shown that whilst undoubtedly there are exceptions life for a teenager seems to involve more healthy activity and does not revolve around binge drinking the way it seems to here.
Or am I wrong?
All views greatly received
Old Oct 12th 2005, 10:31 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Escape the teenage yobs

Originally Posted by swimmingsaintee
Hmm. 1 of the reasons I want to go is that I have 4 kids ( boys). We live in a small village here in Scotland - it's really lovely, pretty middle class etc etc but there's " nothing to do " ( particularly when it's raining / snowing/blowing a gale.) At week ends I see kids ( 13/14) hanging around on the street drinking cans of special etc. Our kids are fine, so far, but already the oldest who is 13 is under pressure from mates to try things.

I was brought up in our nearest town which is pretty small by most standards but full of drunken kids at week ends and really a threatening place to be - really sad when you've spent 40 years there. It just seems to me that alcohol plays too big a part in their lives already.

Our limited experiences of both Australia and also America have shown that whilst undoubtedly there are exceptions life for a teenager seems to involve more healthy activity and does not revolve around binge drinking the way it seems to here.

Or am I wrong?

All views greatly received
Australia has her fair share of yobs and nutters, but nothing approaching the sheer boldness, savagery and bloody-minded violence of the UK equivalents. :scared:

We do have a drinking culture, but not a binge-drinking culture; as for "more healthy activity", that really varies from state to state and suburb to suburb, but it's generally positive.
Old Oct 12th 2005, 10:35 pm
kelly Slater...mmmmmm

Carkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really nice

bring back national service I say...
Old Oct 12th 2005, 10:44 pm
Fighting my corner

Talking Re: Escape the teenage yobs

Originally Posted by Carkedit
bring back national service I say...
To train 'em, or kill 'em off...?
Old Oct 12th 2005, 10:46 pm
kelly Slater...mmmmmm

Carkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really nice

To train 'em, or kill 'em off...?
mmmm..thats a hard one...can I pick both??
Old Oct 12th 2005, 10:48 pm
Account Closed

eatstatic is an unknown quantity at this point

Australia has her fair share of yobs and nutters, but nothing approaching the sheer boldness, savagery and bloody-minded violence of the UK equivalents. :scared:

We do have a drinking culture, but not a binge-drinking culture; as for "more healthy activity", that really varies from state to state and suburb to suburb, but it's generally positive.
On one level I agree Vash. The levels of violence, drunkeness and yobbishness do vary from suburb to suburb in Oz, just as the UK.

Your summary of the UK I quote from you...

but nothing approaching the sheer boldness, savagery and bloody-minded violence of the UK equivalents

I beg to differ. I saw many a drunken violent hoon in Sydney, more often than not in charge of a V8 Holden.

Oz is similar to the UK, in that its full of dont give a shit tossers that you wouldnt want to exchange glances with on a late night.

The main difference between me and the dreamers is that I know the same shit happens 12000 miles away, they kid themselves that once heathrow is out of sight so are the prioblems that blight 21st century Western Nations.

Only difference is, once in Oz you will beg the hoons to run you over, its far preferable to the death of a thousand cuts of boredom in the non descript never ending suburbs of the Godzone.
Old Oct 12th 2005, 10:49 pm
Fighting my corner

Wink Re: Escape the teenage yobs

Originally Posted by Carkedit
mmmm..thats a hard one...can I pick both??
Be my guest!
Old Oct 12th 2005, 10:57 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eatstatic
On one...
Your arguments, stuck record that you are, are almost as comedic as that web-site in your sig. You're like a little ray of light ...
Old Oct 12th 2005, 10:59 pm
kelly Slater...mmmmmm

Only difference is, once in Oz you will beg the hoons to run you over, its far preferable to the death of a thousand cuts of boredom in the non descript never ending suburbs of the Godzone.
think I would prefer bored to scared shitless by a bunch of yobs..
Old Oct 12th 2005, 11:01 pm
Fighting my corner

Cool Re: Escape the teenage yobs

On one level I agree Vash. The levels of violence, drunkeness and yobbishness do vary from suburb to suburb in Oz, just as the UK.

Your summary of the UK I quote from you...

but nothing approaching the sheer boldness, savagery and bloody-minded violence of the UK equivalents

I beg to differ. I saw many a drunken violent hoon in Sydney, more often than not in charge of a V8 Holden.
And what were they doing at the time? Driving the V8, or stepping out of it to rape/mug/stab some innocent bystander?

There was a case here in the UK recently where some **** stabbed a geezer on a bus in broad daylight, then coolly disembarked at his stop and walked away without a care in the world. Nobody tackled him, and nobody helped the stabbed bloke - who died shortly afterwards.

[quote]Oz is similar to the UK, in that its full of dont give a shit tossers that you wouldnt want to exchange glances with on a late night.

The main difference between me and the dreamers is that I know the same shit happens 12000 miles away, they kid themselves that once heathrow is out of sight so are the prioblems that blight 21st century Western Nations.

Actually, the main difference is that the UK is chock full of nutters, while Australia has them in small, scattered pockets of the community.

So are you still in Australia, or did you go back to the heady delights of the UK and its gorgeous, superbly finished terrace houses...? Because of course, we all know that none of Britain's suburbs could possibly be described as "nondescript - and here's the proof!

Mmmm, I just can't get enough of that!

By contrast, an Australian working class suburb -

Quiet? Yep. Nondescript? Not in the slightest. Boring? Quite possibly - but only in a "we had no muggings, stabbings, rapes or murders last Friday night" sort of way.
Old Oct 12th 2005, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really nice

My parents live in Sheffield, South Yorkshire and I keep an eye on the news there. Apparently two areas (Parson Cross and Ecclesfield) are so bad for yobs they have been turned into curfew and 'dispersal zones'. Not only that there was a pic on the front page of the local rag the other day of a puppy that had been killed, after probably being tortured, and hanging from a tree.

I'd sooner live in Mornington any day!!
Old Oct 12th 2005, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Vash the Stampede]And what were they doing at the time? Driving the V8, or stepping out of it to rape/mug/stab some innocent bystander?

There was a case here in the UK recently where some **** stabbed a geezer on a bus in broad daylight, then coolly disembarked at his stop and walked away without a care in the world. Nobody tackled him, and nobody helped the stabbed bloke - who died shortly afterwards.

Oz is similar to the UK, in that its full of dont give a shit tossers that you wouldnt want to exchange glances with on a late night.

Actually, the main difference is that the UK is chock full of nutters, while Australia has them in small, scattered pockets of the community.

So are you still in Australia, or did you go back to the heady delights of the UK and its gorgeous, superbly finished terrace houses...? Because of course, we all know that none of Britain's suburbs could possibly be described as "nondescript - and here's the proof!

Mmmm, I just can't get enough of that!

By contrast, an Australian working class suburb -

Quiet? Yep. Nondescript? Not in the slightest. Boring? Quite possibly - but only in a "we had no muggings, stabbings, rapes or murders last Friday night" sort of way.

Ignore him he is a sad little troll, as I have proved in the past when you confront him with an intelligent response he cannot come up with a reply and disappears for a while. Which is a shame as I quite like a good argument, but it is no fun with someone like him who has an IQ smaller than his shoe size.
Old Oct 12th 2005, 11:18 pm
Fighting my corner

Thumbs up Re: Escape the teenage yobs

Thanks mate, I'll keep that in mind.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.