Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Equivalent of Argos? And some household shopping recommendations please...

Equivalent of Argos? And some household shopping recommendations please...

Old Jul 25th 2005, 9:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

JohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond repute
Default Equivalent of Argos? And some household shopping recommendations please...

We are arriving in Oz in just over 6 weeks and all our stuff is just about to be shipped. But we have kept our stuff to a minimum, and as we are moving into a house from day 1, we don't want to waste too much time driving around looking for general household items. I'd like to find somewhere the equivalent of Argos if such a place exists in Queensland (Brisbane). I need to stock up on all the usual stuff, loads of kitchen stuff, bed linen, curtains, lawnmower! towels, etc etc. So something like Argos would be great. In our last visits to Brisbane we haven't seen anything quite like Argos.

Another thing...We are shipping our wonderful 'memory' mattresses - the best thing since slice bread. Can anyone recommend a good bed shop that might sell a motorised bed base without paying through the nose. I know you can get them at Ikea (in UK), but I'd like to see some alternatives in Oz.

Another thing - we haven't got a swimming pool in Oz (oh well never mind), but hubby has promised me an outdoor spa if I behave. So any recommendations, once again without paying through the nose. We are not looking for one that needs to be professionally installed. John can do this.

And finally - we went to visit the massive Homemaker City in Wickham street, Brisbane, which was absolutely fantastic. Can anyone recommend anywhere else similar in the Brisbane vicinity. What about all you Baysiders, you seem to have all the shops close to hand. Hope that Mr ABC reads this post. Its worth a few glasses of wine! (beer / or whatever your poison!)

Thanks Everyone (in advance)

Netta
Old Jul 25th 2005, 10:42 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Equivalent of Argos? And some household shopping recommendations please...

Originally Posted by JohnAndNetta
We are arriving in Oz in just over 6 weeks and all our stuff is just about to be shipped. But we have kept our stuff to a minimum, and as we are moving into a house from day 1, we don't want to waste too much time driving around looking for general household items. I'd like to find somewhere the equivalent of Argos if such a place exists in Queensland (Brisbane). I need to stock up on all the usual stuff, loads of kitchen stuff, bed linen, curtains, lawnmower! towels, etc etc. So something like Argos would be great. In our last visits to Brisbane we haven't seen anything quite like Argos.

Another thing...We are shipping our wonderful 'memory' mattresses - the best thing since slice bread. Can anyone recommend a good bed shop that might sell a motorised bed base without paying through the nose. I know you can get them at Ikea (in UK), but I'd like to see some alternatives in Oz.

Another thing - we haven't got a swimming pool in Oz (oh well never mind), but hubby has promised me an outdoor spa if I behave. So any recommendations, once again without paying through the nose. We are not looking for one that needs to be professionally installed. John can do this.

And finally - we went to visit the massive Homemaker City in Wickham street, Brisbane, which was absolutely fantastic. Can anyone recommend anywhere else similar in the Brisbane vicinity. What about all you Baysiders, you seem to have all the shops close to hand. Hope that Mr ABC reads this post. Its worth a few glasses of wine! (beer / or whatever your poison!)

Thanks Everyone (in advance)

Netta
Hi Netta,

Do you want cheap or do you want quality & whats your definition of kitchen stuff (ie plastic containers & cheap glasses or new mixmasters & waffle makers? ). I dont actually know what Argos is, but by your description, I would try BigW (like Woolworths in the UK?), Kmart & Target. Or if you want a bit better, try Myers & David Jones (affectionately known as DJs) . The first 2 certainly sell most if not all of that stuff, not sure that Target would sell the mower. 1 other place that sells everything are the Hypermarkets, there is one at Aspley & 1 at Sunnybank Hills. Failing that, most shopping centres will have a crazy Clarkes or simiar for the cheap kitchen stuff & Pillowtalk for the manchester (LOL) type stuff. Pillowtalk ( www.pillowtalk.com.au ) is great for towels, sheets etc, I always get excellent quality stuff very reasonably there. Bunnings is the equivilent of B&Q, theres a massive one at Cannon Hill which may be the closest for you (trying to think if theres one closer to the city, but I cant think of any). If you want electrical try The Goodguys ( www.goodguys.com.au ) Clive Peeters ( www.clivepeeters.com.au )or Clive Anthony ( www.cliveanthonys.com.au ) . All of them haggle like mad, so dont be afraid to do it, I recently got $1500 off my new stove.

There are plenty of HomeMaker centres around. I havent been to the one in the Valley, but theres one at Carindale (near us), one at Loganholme & one at Capalaba on this side of town. Also one at Jindalee & probably some on the northside. If you want a good shopping centre (ie clothes & good quality) try Carindale http://www.westfield.com/carindale/o...e_id=carindale .

Bedding shops try Captn Snooze ( www.snooze.com.au ) & Forty Winks ( www.fortywinks.com.au ) .

Cant help with the spa, have you looked in the yellowpages? www.yellowpages.com.au

Hope that helps.
Old Jul 25th 2005, 10:51 pm
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of
Default Re: Equivalent of Argos? And some household shopping recommendations please...

sorry...not up in Queensland, but I haven't heard of any Argos type shops here though. The ones the next poster mentioned...Target, Big W and K Mart are NOT like Argos.....but they are ok. On a more positive note....you do get Ikea here so they would probably have the bed base if you couldn't find any alternatives.
Old Jul 25th 2005, 11:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

JohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Hi Netta,

Do you want cheap or do you want quality & whats your definition of kitchen stuff (ie plastic containers & cheap glasses or new mixmasters & waffle makers? ). I dont actually know what Argos is, but by your description, I would try BigW (like Woolworths in the UK?), Kmart & Target. Or if you want a bit better, try Myers & David Jones (affectionately known as DJs) . The first 2 certainly sell most if not all of that stuff, not sure that Target would sell the mower. 1 other place that sells everything are the Hypermarkets, there is one at Aspley & 1 at Sunnybank Hills. Failing that, most shopping centres will have a crazy Clarkes or simiar for the cheap kitchen stuff & Pillowtalk for the manchester (LOL) type stuff. Pillowtalk ( www.pillowtalk.com.au ) is great for towels, sheets etc, I always get excellent quality stuff very reasonably there. Bunnings is the equivilent of B&Q, theres a massive one at Cannon Hill which may be the closest for you (trying to think if theres one closer to the city, but I cant think of any). If you want electrical try The Goodguys ( www.goodguys.com.au ) Clive Peeters ( www.clivepeeters.com.au )or Clive Anthony ( www.cliveanthonys.com.au ) . All of them haggle like mad, so dont be afraid to do it, I recently got $1500 off my new stove.

There are plenty of HomeMaker centres around. I havent been to the one in the Valley, but theres one at Carindale (near us), one at Loganholme & one at Capalaba on this side of town. Also one at Jindalee & probably some on the northside. If you want a good shopping centre (ie clothes & good quality) try Carindale http://www.westfield.com/carindale/o...e_id=carindale .

Bedding shops try Captn Snooze ( www.snooze.com.au ) & Forty Winks ( www.fortywinks.com.au ) .

Cant help with the spa, have you looked in the yellowpages? www.yellowpages.com.au

Hope that helps.

Thanks a million MrsD (again!). I guess I'm looking at middle of the road for general kitchen stuff. I've been to a lot of 'DJ's' and they're fine - probably the equivalent of our Debenhams or John Lewis - and so a bit more upmarket. I'll definitely try the hypermarkets you mentioned. I didn't know about these two. We did go very briefly to Carindale and Cannon Hill on our last visit and were very impressed that these were so close to us. I've found my perfect shop for Indian and Chinese spices here. I was a bit worried I'd been spoilt at home with a massive selection of little Indian / Asian groceries but I can rest easy now. My wok will be out in no time.

I'll try the other options mentioned. I forgot about Crazy Clarkes. That would be ok for my bargain basement stuff, and I'll stick with DJ's when I want something decent. Pillowtalk also sounds like one I should check out.

Argos is one of these catalogue shops that sells EVERYTHING at reasonable prices. You pick up the catalogue, fill out a docket, then take it to the check-out for collection. You can shop from home as well. These shops are absolutely manic at Xmas in the UK (well in fact all year round), its where a lot of people buy their kids Xmas toys and just about anything else.

Bunnings is John's favorite shop already. He loved the one at Canon Hill. Just like a B&Q warehouse in the UK. Only thing we found really strange was the terrible choice of taps. John used to do quite a lot of refurbishments and redevopments in the UK (and we also recently did a major self-build - what a mammoth task that was) so he's always interested in anything on the DIY front, so he'll be hunting down all sorts of builders merchants / plumbers / etc, but he's rather dissappointed about what he's limited to being able to do in Oz (i.e no electrics / plumbing etc). We want to add an extension and extra bathroom on our house. Looks like he'll just have to sit back and watch the professionals to a large degree! That will kill him I'm sure.....

Anyway thanks for the info. I will definitely be checking some of these out.

Now anyone out there for spas?????? This is MY treat, so its really important!

Netta
Old Jul 25th 2005, 11:49 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Bcking up Mrs D - the Pick'n'pay hypermarket at Aspley is excellent - nearest equivalent I've found to a good Asda - homeware and food in one big store. Reasonable qualioty, njot too pricey. Probably better quality than some Argos stuff, and there is no real equivalent of Argos here.
Ikea is down on the south side, and has all the usual stuff, so you'll be OK there.
Old Jul 26th 2005, 12:30 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by JohnAndNetta
Hope that Mr ABC reads this post.
It looks like I am too late

But Mrs D has done a better job on these things than I could have done

Old Jul 26th 2005, 3:53 am
Badge

I love Target, BigW and K-Mart.

I love the way they sell everything - eg Kmart even sells car batteries and oil, then you can get a BBQ too followed by a packet of chips, a cuddly toy and a paperback.

I'm still trying to work out which of the 3 is better than the others for anything. For me our KMart eclipses just in the shear variety. copyright Mike Stanton 2004.

Badge

Old Jul 26th 2005, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

ballyhoo has a spectacular aura aboutballyhoo has a spectacular aura aboutballyhoo has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Bcking up Mrs D - the Pick'n'pay hypermarket at Aspley is excellent - nearest equivalent I've found to a good Asda - homeware and food in one big store.
Wow - Pick 'n Pay is a South African shop!. Do they have them all over Australia, or just Queensland? We are heading to Geelong.
Old Jul 26th 2005, 8:34 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by ballyhoo
Wow - Pick 'n Pay is a South African shop!. Do they have them all over Australia, or just Queensland? We are heading to Geelong.
Pick 'n Pay here is one of the new names that Coles Myer Ltd is using, along with:
Myer
Coles
Pick'n'Pay
Kmart
Target
Liquorland
Vintage Cellars
Officeworks
BI-LO
Harris Technology
and probably others

It may be different to the South African one

Old Jul 26th 2005, 8:39 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Pick 'n Pay here is one of the new names that Coles Myer Ltd is using, along with:
Myer
Coles
Pick'n'Pay
Kmart
Target
Liquorland
Vintage Cellars
Officeworks
BI-LO
Harris Technology
and probably others

I may be wrong, but I dont think that PicknPay was owned by Coles Myer when it started about 15-20 years ago - I think Coles Myer have since acquired it.
Old Jul 26th 2005, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks everybody for your replies.
Looks like we've got some serious shopping to do. Can't wait

Netta
X
Old Jul 26th 2005, 2:03 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

It looks like I am too late

But Mrs D has done a better job on these things than I could have done
Of course - from you we were expecting something along the lines of:

Interestingly, the 2001 figures for household goods show that nearly 27% of people in and around Brisbane (post codes 4000 - 4200) used Myers, whereas in Post Codes 4500 - 4700 this had fallen to 6%.
A 2003 survey of residents in the Bayside region who were born overseas (17% of population) showed that of these a staggering 64% preferred Myers to DJ but nearly 82% of them would be prepared to shop in BigW. 15% of the sample earned more than the national average wage and rated Bunnings as at least equivalent to the hardware shops in their country of origin.

One particularly interesting fact is that 100% of the residents earning less than the national average but more than the state average who originated from Norway but had at least one Danish parent felt that Jarlsberg cheese was not easy to find in the Bayside convenience stores (this is old data - Sven Svenssen has since moved to Sydney).

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Jul 26th 2005, 2:10 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Myer
Coles
Pick'n'Pay
Kmart
Target
Liquorland
Vintage Cellars
Officeworks
BI-LO
Harris Technology
and probably others

And don't forget your FlyBuys
Old Jul 27th 2005, 12:30 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by DagBoy
Of course - from you we were expecting something along the lines of:

Interestingly, the 2001 figures for household goods show that nearly 27% of people in and around Brisbane (post codes 4000 - 4200) used Myers, whereas in Post Codes 4500 - 4700 this had fallen to 6%.
A 2003 survey of residents in the Bayside region who were born overseas (17% of population) showed that of these a staggering 64% preferred Myers to DJ but nearly 82% of them would be prepared to shop in BigW. 15% of the sample earned more than the national average wage and rated Bunnings as at least equivalent to the hardware shops in their country of origin.

One particularly interesting fact is that 100% of the residents earning less than the national average but more than the state average who originated from Norway but had at least one Danish parent felt that Jarlsberg cheese was not easy to find in the Bayside convenience stores (this is old data - Sven Svenssen has since moved to Sydney).

Cheers,

DagBoy
I loved that, nearly killed myself laughing Karma heading your way

PS: I checked your %'s and they are slightly ...........................