Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Equity ISAs - to declare or not?

Equity ISAs - to declare or not?

Old Dec 10th 2007, 6:27 am
Just Joined

Caveman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Equity ISAs - to declare or not?

I've concluded from reading previous posts on ISAs thet they're not considered tax-free by the ATO once you become a resident for tax purposes. My question is regarding equity ISAs. Given that they are based on shares and could go up or down, am I obliged to declare their value each year and pay tax on the increase? I'm thinking that I don't make any profit until I cash them in. Any thoughts?
Old Dec 10th 2007, 6:32 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Equity ISAs - to declare or not?

Originally Posted by Caveman
I've concluded from reading previous posts on ISAs thet they're not considered tax-free by the ATO once you become a resident for tax purposes. My question is regarding equity ISAs. Given that they are based on shares and could go up or down, am I obliged to declare their value each year and pay tax on the increase? I'm thinking that I don't make any profit until I cash them in. Any thoughts?
Yes....you do have to declare them. The annual growth is considered as part of your income by the ATO.

There are ways to minimise the tax....best consult a professional.

G
Old Dec 10th 2007, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Equity ISAs - to declare or not?

If they pay a dividend then that's income and must be declared. Otherwise, I think, you are liable for capital gains tax when you sell the equities. See an expert