Epilepsy

Old Sep 29th 2003, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

The GoodbyeGirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Epilepsy

Anyone know of anyone not being granted a visa because of one of their dependent's having epilepsy? My son (20) has epilepsy. Diagnosed last year, and recently controlled. When we went for our medicals, we told the examining doctor that they were controlled. Thanks in advance...
Old Sep 29th 2003, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Take a look at http://www.movingdownunder.co.uk/files/faq.php about 6th question down there is a link to goverment site.

Epilepsy should not be a problem, I have type 1 diabetes and that was no problem. They just need to know its controlled etc.

Have you looked at http://www.epilepsy.com.au/

One thing you need to find out is if the medication can be obtained here in Australia. Not all brands are available. I was about to change insulin to a type that would suit my lifestyle and make life a whole lot easier only to find its not supplied here. Fortunatley I was advised to check beforehand.
Old Sep 29th 2003, 8:05 pm
Drowning Member

Surfer Chick is an unknown quantity at this point

I read somewhere that as long as you tell the person doing the medical that it is undercontrol and would not effect future employment (black outs at work) it wouldn't be a problem. Apparently you have to make sure you spell it out LOAD & CLEAR it is under control.
Old Sep 30th 2003, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all
Default Re: Epilepsy

Hi

My husband has had sleep epilepsy for years. We had to get a letter from the doctor stating his medication and details of history etc and we got accepted okay.

Good luck
Old Sep 30th 2003, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

The GoodbyeGirl is an unknown quantity at this point

DianeOz,
Was your hubby's epilepsy controlled before you made the application and if so, how long had it been under control? Was your hubby the main applicant? How long ago did you apply for your visas?

Thanks a bunch in advance.
Old Oct 1st 2003, 1:01 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Yes it was controlled and had been for at least 10 years, he was the main applicant also.

Good luck, I'm sure it will be okay.

regards
Diane
Old Oct 1st 2003, 2:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nice

Hi

I cannot see a problem with epilepsy, it is usually controlled easily with appropriate medication which is available in oz - different brand - same drugs. Declare it at your medical, along with medication details. About the only thing you wont be able to get is drivers/pilots/subaqua licences and even then some of these are possible subject to stringent restrictions.

good luck

Peter