EOFY Tax return

Old Dec 28th 2013, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold
Default EOFY Tax return

I know it's a bit early but I want to sort this out in plenty of time.

The UK tax year ends in April but Oz in Jun.

So in May (hopefully) I get my P60 from the UK taxman, can I use this for my Oz tax return or do I have to try and work out the extra income I got between Apr and Jun 30 (and delete the income from previous Apr to Jun).
If I do just use my P60 do I have to inform the Oz taxman this is what I'm doing and get their approval.
If I have to extract 9 months from the P60 and then add on the 3 months for the next (UK) financial year it is going to be a nightmare.
Over the long term this balances out, but does the Oz taxman look at it this way.
Old Dec 29th 2013, 1:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EOFY Tax return

I have used my UK statements to end April on the Australian return. I have not bothered to look into whether this is ok or not on the basis that it will all come out in the wash.
Old Dec 30th 2013, 11:54 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

What is the nature of the employment that causes it to be taxable in the UK under PAYE and assessable in Australia?

Have you looked at the Tax Treaty to ensure it is correct that the UK salary is included on your Australian tax return?

Best regards.
Old Dec 30th 2013, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
What is the nature of the employment that causes it to be taxable in the UK under PAYE and assessable in Australia?
It's a company pension I've just started receiving I know it's not taxed in UK (well when I get the paperwork sorted) but the money varies each month as the $ jumps around and I want to know if I can just use the P60 to declare the income to simplify matters.
Old Dec 30th 2013, 11:08 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

In which case, I'd be listing the GBP amounts on a schedule for each year to 30th of June, and translating into AUDs using the average exchange rate for the year, which is published on the ATO website.

Don't forget to consider the possibility of a tax deduction for the Undeducted Purchase Price of the pension, if you made contributions to the UK pension fund personally.

Best regards.