Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Entry level offshore work

Entry level offshore work

Old Jun 1st 2011, 2:13 am
Just Joined

wannaworkontherigs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Entry level offshore work

Just wondering if anybody can point me in the right direction.

I have lived in Perth for the past 3 years and have PR. I would like to get
a start in the offshore industry, but have no prior experience in this area.

I appreciate that entry level jobs will be highly competitive, but the problem I have, is finding where these jobs are advertised or who to contact.

I've done various Google searches, but just seem to keep coming up with articles explaining the work involved.

Any advice on what my first steps should be would be great.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 2:15 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Entry level offshore work

Originally Posted by wannaworkontherigs
Just wondering if anybody can point me in the right direction.

I have lived in Perth for the past 3 years and have PR. I would like to get
a start in the offshore industry, but have no prior experience in this area.

I appreciate that entry level jobs will be highly competitive, but the problem I have, is finding where these jobs are advertised or who to contact.

I've done various Google searches, but just seem to keep coming up with articles explaining the work involved.

Any advice on what my first steps should be would be great.
What do you mean by Offshore mate?

If you mean on the rigs then I can’t help you.

If you mean overseas than I might be able to, if you tell me what area you work in.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 2:26 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
What do you mean by Offshore mate?

If you mean on the rigs then I can’t help you.

If you mean overseas than I might be able to, if you tell me what area you work in.
Sorry, should have made myself clearer, I mean work in the gas/oil industry.
I'm thinking along the lines of roustabout/laborer, or maybe trainee driller would be great if possible.

Thanks anyway though
Old Jun 1st 2011, 4:17 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Sorry, should have made myself clearer, I mean work in the gas/oil industry.
I'm thinking along the lines of roustabout/laborer, or maybe trainee driller would be great if possible.

Thanks anyway though
Try toilet cleaning, you'll earn a fortune, I know a bloke who does it and is on $12-1500 a day, have a look for agencies on the net
Old Jun 1st 2011, 6:02 am
BE Enthusiast

mvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to all

Do you have the relevant experience/training and certificates to work on the rigs.

E.g I believe you will need a safety certificate for helicopter ditching in the sea before any agency will touch you.
You will find that unless you have experience that is sought after then it will be difficult to get a start and if you do it will be on a casual basis.

I would start contacting agencies that hire for the rigs and enquire as to what is required for them to consider you.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 6:43 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mvagusta
Do you have the relevant experience/training and certificates to work on the rigs.

E.g I believe you will need a safety certificate for helicopter ditching in the sea before any agency will touch you.
You will find that unless you have experience that is sought after then it will be difficult to get a start and if you do it will be on a casual basis.

I would start contacting agencies that hire for the rigs and enquire as to what is required for them to consider you.
I have no experience in the field at all and I appreciate it's a very competitive industry to break into.

The problem I've been having is finding the relevant agencies, there seem to be plenty out there for the higher level jobs, but I cant find anyone who deals in the entry level stuff
Old Jun 1st 2011, 6:52 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
Try toilet cleaning, you'll earn a fortune, I know a bloke who does it and is on $12-1500 a day, have a look for agencies on the net
Are you saying your mate earns $7500 a week bog cleaning?
Old Jun 1st 2011, 6:54 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Put me down for that!!!!
Old Jun 1st 2011, 7:00 am
BE Enthusiast

mvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to all

I have no experience in the field at all and I appreciate it's a very competitive industry to break into.

The problem I've been having is finding the relevant agencies, there seem to be plenty out there for the higher level jobs, but I cant find anyone who deals in the entry level stuff
I'm not sure if this is any good but you could try http://www.rigzone.com/search/p/serv...nel/placement/

The other thing to do is to contact some of the companies and ask for the information you require. Somebody may point you in the right direction.
I do know that Maersk have drilling rigs around Australia.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 7:06 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mvagusta
I'm not sure if this is any good but you could try http://www.rigzone.com/search/p/serv...nel/placement/

The other thing to do is to contact some of the companies and ask for the information you require. Somebody may point you in the right direction.
I do know that Maersk have drilling rigs around Australia.
Cheers I will give both a go
Old Jun 1st 2011, 7:17 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nati...-1226027697866
Old Jun 1st 2011, 7:22 am
Just Joined

That's crazy, surely they can get plenty applicants willing to do those unskilled jobs for much much less than that?????????????
Old Jun 1st 2011, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

NigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond repute

I know someone who managed to get into this a few decades ago when drilling started in the north sea. He worked like mad for several years, almost froze to death many times and had to give up luxuries like sleep and most of his life but it was worth in in the end. He now has his own company with many employees, he's also got a huge list of highly qualified people wanting to work for him because he is a good employer.

Don't forget that they sub-contract a lot or work particularly the catering. I wanted a job in that area many years ago in W.A., I was getting the local paper just after midnight saw one advertised 'written applications only. I wrote out an application and waited outside their office at 7:30 am, after about 20 mins a bloke who looked to be the right person arrived, I asked him if he was the personnel manager, he said yes and I handed him my application saying it was safer than the post. He had a click glance at the application and invited me in, I had quite a while to wait but he did give me an interview and within about ten minutes he offered me the job, most of the poor sods wouldn't have even posted their applications by then but two days later they flew me up to the North West and they sent all my stuff by road, great job and it gave me a real good start to Australia.

You have to do things like this to get a job. Be as ruthless as you like but stick to the truth but no harm in saying you feel confident about being able to do the job that they have on offer.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 7:32 am
West is best!

oz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to all

http://www.lucas.com.au/Home.htm

These guys were advertising in last weekends Courier Mail for trainee drillers. The contact email address given is different to the one on their website, it was [email protected]

Goodluck
Old Jun 1st 2011, 8:07 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

"potentially earn" - the article is bullshit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.