Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Entering UK on Aus passport - do I need a visa?

Entering UK on Aus passport - do I need a visa?

Old Jan 20th 2012, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

Max&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to all
Default Entering UK on Aus passport - do I need a visa?

Hi all,

Probably a daft question but, when travelling back to UK on Aussie passport do we need any entry permits / visas?

(and for the obvious question - our UK passports expired ages ago and can't be bothered renewing them)

Thanks,
Old Jan 20th 2012, 1:09 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Entering UK on Aus passport - do I need a visa?

Originally Posted by Max&Ozzy
Hi all,

Probably a daft question but, when travelling back to UK on Aussie passport do we need any entry permits / visas?

(and for the obvious question - our UK passports expired ages ago and can't be bothered renewing them)

Thanks,
no
Old Jan 20th 2012, 1:16 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

I assume it's just a visit though?
Old Jan 20th 2012, 1:21 am
Forum Regular

Max&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to all

Thanks - yes just a flying visit / holiday to show family and friends the new little Aussie member of the family.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 1:27 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

You'd only need visas if you were staying for more than six months.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 1:38 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
You'd only need visas if you were staying for more than six months.
Do You?, whats the go if you go to u.k for a visit on ozzie passport, but decide to stay on - longer than six months?, in the meantime you renew your british passport, ....... sorry daughter going next year and not sure if she will stay/how long for etc....
Old Jan 20th 2012, 1:44 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret3
Do You?, whats the go if you go to u.k for a visit on ozzie passport, but decide to stay on - longer than six months?, in the meantime you renew your british passport, ....... sorry daughter going next year and not sure if she will stay/how long for etc....

She's a Brit. Once she's in the country she's entitled to 'change her mind' and stay. People carrying Australian passports are considered Australian by Passport Control and so have a six month visa free period. She'll be fine.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 2:22 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Your passport lists your place of birth in the UK, so you are considered a British citizen since becoming an Australian citizen does not revoke your original citizenship.

I went back to the UK once on my Australian passport and joined the (extremely) long queue for foreign passport holders: when I finally got to the desk the immigration man told me I could have gone in the (much shorter!) British passport line. That was in 1996, rules may have changed since.

Nowadays I leave Oz on the Oz passport and enter the UK on my British one, and my wife (who only has an Australian passport) comes with me through the British passport line without any problems.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 4:46 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
Your passport lists your place of birth in the UK, so you are considered a British citizen
Since 1983, birth in the UK does not necessarily equal British citizenship.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 6:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

I have Canadian and British passports and alternate between the two when travelling, depending on which que is shorter. Just gotta work on the Aussie one now!
Old Jan 20th 2012, 10:09 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

I have 8 passports.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Legal ones though??
Old Jan 20th 2012, 4:35 pm
Daffyd Duck

6 are expired