Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Enter UK without UK passport

Enter UK without UK passport

Old May 22nd 2011, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

migrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the rough
Default Enter UK without UK passport

I am returning to the UK for the first time since 2005 when I migrated from UK to Oz. Just going back for about 4 weeks to catch up with family. I am now an Australian Citizen and have my new Australian passport which I applied and paid for only a couple of weeks ago. To cut costs I am not renewing my now expired UK passport, so will be travelling there and back on my Aussie passport. When I enter the UK does anyone know if I need any kind of visa. Has anyone done what I am doing and met with any diffuculties other than a quicker passage through Immigration?

I read somewhere that you may need a visa to visit family in the UK.
Old May 22nd 2011, 11:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Enter UK without UK passport

Originally Posted by migrantoz
I am returning to the UK for the first time since 2005 when I migrated from UK to Oz. Just going back for about 4 weeks to catch up with family. I am now an Australian Citizen and have my new Australian passport which I applied and paid for only a couple of weeks ago. To cut costs I am not renewing my now expired UK passport, so will be travelling there and back on my Aussie passport. When I enter the UK does anyone know if I need any kind of visa. Has anyone done what I am doing and met with any diffuculties other than a quicker passage through Immigration?

Try this:- http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/doineedvisa/

Don't think you need one.

Last edited by Alfresco; May 22nd 2011 at 11:33 am.
Old May 22nd 2011, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

As long as you have valid passport to enter, UK accept dual nationality.
Old May 22nd 2011, 11:32 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Aussie passport holders don't need a visa if they are just going for a holiday (think its up to 3 months) - for 4 weeks you are definitely fine, no visa required.
Old May 22nd 2011, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

migrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the replies, the Home Office site asked 3 very simple questions and after my replies stated that I will not normally need a visa to come to the United Kingdom. Not exactly a definitive answer considering I am travelling from the other side of the world to visit. Lets hope they let me in when I get there.
Old May 22nd 2011, 6:14 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies, the Home Office site asked 3 very simple questions and after my replies stated that I will not normally need a visa to come to the United Kingdom. Not exactly a definitive answer considering I am travelling from the other side of the world to visit. Lets hope they let me in when I get there.
"Normally" means that there are exceptions, such as those with certain criminal records or who have been refused a UK visa, or previously removed from the United Kingdom.

IF you encounter any problems with Immigration on arrival, an expired British passport is also an acceptable proof of citizenship, at least if it is fairly recently expired.
Old May 22nd 2011, 11:45 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
"Normally" means that there are exceptions, such as those with certain criminal records or who have been refused a UK visa, or previously removed from the United Kingdom.

IF you encounter any problems with Immigration on arrival, an expired British passport is also an acceptable proof of citizenship, at least if it is fairly recently expired.

Yes, I discovered this last year when I went back for Christmas.

The OP may wish to renew their UK passport while in the UK, as it is only about £70, plus the post office processing fees. I did this, and my folks brought it out to me when they came over a couple of months later, though there is nothing stopping friends/family sending it on.

S
Old May 23rd 2011, 6:43 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

I've been back to the UK twice on Aussie passport. Not had any problems at all. You get a stamp in your passport that says you're not allowed to work whilst in the UK. Made sure mum did all the work instead

I think the visa stamp you get allows you stay in the UK for 6 months. We also travelled back from France and they just gave us a visa stamp on entry so no problems there either.

Both times I have brought along the old expired passports but have not needed them.
Old May 23rd 2011, 6:51 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

You only need to prove your British nationality and an expired UK passport will be sufficient.

I've entered the UK at least 3 times on an expired UK passport.

This way you don't have to queue up with all the foreigners at passport control when you arrive in the UK
Old May 23rd 2011, 6:57 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
You only need to prove your British nationality and an expired UK passport will be sufficient.

I've entered the UK at least 3 times on an expired UK passport.

This way you don't have to queue up with all the foreigners at passport control when you arrive in the UK

When we came back from the Czech Republic, we discovered that the non-EU queue was empty, so we just breezed through on our Aussie passports, leaving all the EU holders fighting their way through the EU queue

S
Old May 23rd 2011, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

Condor of Bermuda has a brilliant futureCondor of Bermuda has a brilliant futureCondor of Bermuda has a brilliant futureCondor of Bermuda has a brilliant futureCondor of Bermuda has a brilliant futureCondor of Bermuda has a brilliant future

My wife and I had our first ever trip to the UK a few years ago. We are Aussies so we had to line up with the rest of the "aliens".

A gent in uniform came over (Birminghm airport) and asked if we were in the wrong queue. I said no, but he said are you British?

I said, well we were when you wanted us to storm the beaches at Gallipoli, but apparently not any more....
Old May 23rd 2011, 10:18 am
Banned

knowlton is on a distinguished road

You won't need a visa if it's for leisure - you will be fine.

Also, if it's dual, UK will accept without any problems.
Old May 23rd 2011, 11:54 am
BE Enthusiast

markbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura about

How come Aussies can visit the uk without a visa but British need a visa to visit Australia. Oh yes Britain doesn't have so many rules!!!
Old May 23rd 2011, 12:50 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markbhx
How come Aussies can visit the uk without a visa but British need a visa to visit Australia. Oh yes Britain doesn't have so many rules!!!
Aus is more discerning
Old May 23rd 2011, 7:48 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markbhx
The Australian ETA/evisitor is considered by most other countries to be the equivalent of visa free tourist travel.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.