Reload this Page >

Enquiry regarding veterinary in Australia

Enquiry regarding veterinary in Australia

Old Jan 15th 2010, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

ben8118 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Enquiry regarding veterinary in Australia

Hi there,

I'm an Australian resident and I'm planning to apply spouse visa for my wife. My questions are:

She is a veterinarian graduated from University Putra Malaysia (UPM). This is the only university in Malaysia having Doctor Veterinary Medicine (DVM) course. She has been working as a veterinary surgeon for the past 3 years and currently working in a pharmaceutical veterinary company.

1) Is her degree recognize in Australia?

2) After she obtained her spouse visa, will she be able to practice veterinary in Australia?

3) If it is not accrediated or recognize, what will be the assessing body and what are the steps she needs to do or the stuffs she needs to perform e.g. further studying master etc so that she can work and practice in Australia?

4) What will be the options, steps and actions needed to be done in order for her to work in Australia?

Hope you guys out there can shed some ideas and comments.

Thanks!
Old Jan 15th 2010, 2:50 pm
Banned

Ozwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to all
Default Re: Enquiry regarding veterinary in Australia

Originally Posted by ben8118
Hi there,

I'm an Australian resident and I'm planning to apply spouse visa for my wife. My questions are:

She is a veterinarian graduated from University Putra Malaysia (UPM). This is the only university in Malaysia having Doctor Veterinary Medicine (DVM) course. She has been working as a veterinary surgeon for the past 3 years and currently working in a pharmaceutical veterinary company.

1) Is her degree recognize in Australia?

2) After she obtained her spouse visa, will she be able to practice veterinary in Australia?

3) If it is not accrediated or recognize, what will be the assessing body and what are the steps she needs to do or the stuffs she needs to perform e.g. further studying master etc so that she can work and practice in Australia?

4) What will be the options, steps and actions needed to be done in order for her to work in Australia?

Hope you guys out there can shed some ideas and comments.

Thanks!
Hi Ben,

Your wife should have a look at www.avbc.asn.au and from what I remember it is a comprehensive assessment process, much like what overseas trained Doctors have to go through for registration here.

Enquiring with the AVBC and getting assessed will answer all your questions.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 9:56 pm
Just Joined

alivet is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down Re: Enquiry regarding veterinary in Australia

Hi,

definitely take a look at the website Ozwanderer mentioned above. That should give you all the details you need.

Unfortunately, chances are your wife will need more than a basic assessment; Australia recognizes only a few veterinary degrees from overseas for direct registration (UK vet schools, Utrecht, Massey and a few others). As far as I'm aware UPM is not on the list.

So, your wife would need to sit the exams (practical and theory). I believe the theory exams are held twice yearly, the practical once per year (and there's often a waiting list!). She would also require a high score on the IELTS exam.

So, when she passes these succesfully, and has an appropriate visa (eg spouse) then she can register to work as a vet in Oz. Currently, each state has a separate registration system.

It can take a while to arrange and pass the exams. She may wish to consider working as a vet nurse or as a drug rep until that time (we currently have a vet from Europe doing just that).

Good luck

Ali

Last edited by alivet; Jan 15th 2010 at 9:57 pm. Reason: typo
Old Jan 16th 2010, 1:40 am
Forum Regular

Dear alivet and ozwanderer,

Thanks for the information.

Can my wife, a veterinary graduate from University Putra Malaysia (UPM) able to work as a vet nurse in Australia?

If yes, do you guys have information on which state and which clinics hiring?

Is vet nurse currently in demand in Australia? And if yes, which state?

Thanks.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

UK-2-OZ will become famous soon enoughUK-2-OZ will become famous soon enough

Hi There
I worked in a veterinary hospital in Melbourne, we had 3 vets who came from Malaysia, unfortunately their qualifications were not recognised here. Yes, they did work as vet nurses. They could use their qualifications from Malaysia to gain points towards the degree here.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

Hi UK-2-OZ,

Thanks for the feedback. As for the 3 vets currently working as a vet nurse in Australia, were they permanent resident or under holiday working visa, temporary work visa etc?

One of my wife's friend, currently in Australia is pursuing a Masters veterinary course in UQ. She told my wife that even if she graduated, she will not be able to work as a vet nurse in Australia. Is it true?

Is the hiring and job offer for vet nurse solely based on the discretionary of the clinic or hospital?
Old Jan 21st 2010, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

UK-2-OZ will become famous soon enoughUK-2-OZ will become famous soon enough

Hi
They are PR, however, as to your next question, it is down to each individual clinic whether they accept you as a vet nurse. We had vet nurses who were only Cert II qualified and were working towards their Cert IV in vet nursing.

A lot of veterinary hospitals will ask for a minimum qualification of a Cert IV, however, you will find a lot of TAFE's will not accept you on to the Cert IV Course unless you have a job in the industry already, so it really is a catch 22.
Take a look here for a list of veterinary jobs: http://www.kookaburravets.com/Australia/IndexOz.htm