Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is this enough for family of 3 in Perth

Is this enough for family of 3 in Perth

Old Jul 1st 2012, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is this enough for family of 3 in Perth

Originally Posted by Cor Blimey
Siren & Brian, at last.....thank you very much for your reply. That's great. I'm entirely greatful for you help. I knew there was some decent people out there with no ego/Bull Shit or agendas other than to offer some advice. Thank you sincerely.
I suppose it also depends on how you like to live (or how you can live) some people would think $10,000 dollars a car is expensive some would think it was very cheap, decent rental homes in decent areas in Perth cost from about $420 per week upwards but then cheaper in not so great areas and a heck of a lot more in really up market areas, everyone is different due to circumstances, we could push the boat out a bit more but we like to keep things mid range and have money in the bank but still enjoy ourselves . Most people we knew in Perth had about $70,000+ combined income some had less with one income for us the min. level we would live in Perth would be $70,000 so you should be fine even with expensive Air fares home (you might find you eventually want to visit other places rather than the UK) good luck
Old Jul 1st 2012, 12:08 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cor Blimey
Siren & Brian, at last.....thank you very much for your reply. That's great. I'm entirely greatful for you help. I knew there was some decent people out there with no ego/Bull Shit or agendas other than to offer some advice. Thank you sincerely.
So are you taking the Perth job rather than the Bahrain one?
Old Jul 1st 2012, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
So are you taking the Perth job rather than the Bahrain one?
I think they must be taking the Bahrain one.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 1:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by itigo
I think they must be taking the Bahrain one.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007

Why the fingers crossed? He asked a completely legit question and got ridiculed for it. Yes it is a salary higher than quite a few on here but that doesn't mean that they would have no worries about moving half way around the world. It could be that they were on a higher salary in the UK - you read on here time and time again how high the cost of living is in Aus.

We all have different lifestyles I for one, would struggle with MY current lifestyle on that sum or less but that doesn't mean I couldn't cut my cloth to fit if needs be.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 2:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Charming and welcome to BE! Bearing in mind that most people come on BE to ask if they are going to able to live on $60k for a family of four, it is surely understandable that you got the replies you did when asking about a salary that the vast majority of posters are never going to come near. Certainly no need to be abusive. Try reading the rules of BE. They're here. Both Rule 1 and 2 appear relevant.
I understand his response - you all ridiculed him because he didn't earn what is classed as "normal" So what that if he is earning a lot more than other's - that doesn't make his fears and concerns any less valid - If he was bragging like a poster we all know from the past then ok ridicule him but this doesn't seem to be the case in this instance.

Caveat - you didn't all ridicule him but many did.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 2:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hebe
Why the fingers crossed? He asked a completely legit question and got ridiculed for it. Yes it is a salary higher than quite a few on here but that doesn't mean that they would have no worries about moving half way around the world. It could be that they were on a higher salary in the UK - you read on here time and time again how high the cost of living is in Aus.

We all have different lifestyles I for one, would struggle with MY current lifestyle on that sum or less but that doesn't mean I couldn't cut my cloth to fit if needs be.
I completely agree that people on higher incomes should be able to ask questions and BE is not limited to people on average salary or below. However, in this case I wonder if it was the way he asked that was antagonising, i.e. will we be able to rent a house and have a car and maybe save something. Err no, most people live in tents and walk everywhere.

Anyone who had done even the tiniest spot of research would know that this is well above average and might have posed a question in a more sensitive manner. E.g. "how does it compare" rather than "is it enough"
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 4:01 am
Just Joined

PerthParamedic is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't be daft, people's friends and family cannot always visit - if my family were to fly here, thats 5 adult air fares, for me to go there and see them its one fare. And my mum can't come out, her health isn't good enough.
I wasn't trying to be daft - I was giving my opinion....

I haven't had all of my family out in all the time I've been out in Australia - (7 years).

Funny thing about opinions - they are neither right or wrong.....

PP

Last edited by PerthParamedic; Jul 2nd 2012 at 4:01 am. Reason: I must learn to speeeeell
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 9:39 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PerthParamedic
I wasn't trying to be daft - I was giving my opinion....

I haven't had all of my family out in all the time I've been out in Australia - (7 years).

Funny thing about opinions - they are neither right or wrong.....

PP
It was mainly your comment about your real friends coming to visit you - not always that easy...sometimes the only way to see people is for us to go back there
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 10:54 am
Just Joined

Cor Blimey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hebe
I understand his response - you all ridiculed him because he didn't earn what is classed as "normal" So what that if he is earning a lot more than other's - that doesn't make his fears and concerns any less valid - If he was bragging like a poster we all know from the past then ok ridicule him but this doesn't seem to be the case in this instance.

Caveat - you didn't all ridicule him but many did.
Thanks Hebe.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 2:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Whether the package you have been offered here will be enough depends on the lifestyle you have now and wish to maintain....

Alsonwhat profession are you in?

There can be hidden "costs"

Eg.

Medical colleague. Well respectedvin his field, into his research and oft published in his country of origin found WA to be a back water he couldnt tolerate and wasnt prepared to put his professional career "on hold" for any length of time whilst he enjoyed the "lifestyle"....... And whilst the money was good for a while he wouldnt sacrifice that for it long term.

Not enough info for a sensible answer.....
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 2:22 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Don't be daft, people's friends and family cannot always visit - if my family were to fly here, thats 5 adult air fares, for me to go there and see them its one fare. And my mum can't come out, her health isn't good enough.

I know I'm not the only one in that position.
So how come yer always flying to London to bother me
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 2:28 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
I wrote this in the Rovers Return explaining what a drive by gloat was. You Madam, deserve a hearty golf clap.

In my ironman triathlon world the pinnacle race to qualify for is the Hawaii Ironman World Championships (it's very tough to qualify for, even at my age of 45 yrs I'd have to turn in a time of sub 9hrs 40 and I'm currently on 13.5hrs ).

So when anyone qualifies on the various forums people always put up questions that let people know they're off to Ironman Hawaii. eg: 'Which race wheels should I take to Hawaii?' or 'what sunglasses work best in Hawaii'. This is known as a 'drive by gloat'
That's funny,cheers
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 9:05 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
So how come yer always flying to London to bother me
Cos you're a handy stop for refuelling on the way home
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

seanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to all

I actually earn more than the OP and have no problem driving to work on my jet ski in the middle of brisbane from the gold coast.

And yes, it is plenty to live on, dont drive a porsche though.

IT Contracting salaries or mining salaries are pretty high at the moment, depending on field and area obviously, some of the sydney roles are in a slump, i.e. the C# coder, advertising to be paid in Lattes. But its not abnormal for an IT bod or defo mining/energy workers to be paid 1k-1.5k a day which puts your salary up over 250k per year.

Lucky yes and absolutely liveable in most places.