Reload this Page >

English solicitor requalifying in NSW

English solicitor requalifying in NSW

Old Dec 12th 2006, 4:53 am
Just Joined

Ju12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default English solicitor requalifying in NSW

Hi

I have seen a veryfew posts on this topics and none from people who have actually done it! I'm currently working in a law firm in Sydney and am applying for my practical training exemptions - there are enough British solictors working here (I have noticed the accents in the Courts!) that some must have requalified over here!

Would love to chat to someone about hte process and maybe get some tips.
Thanks guys

Juliet.x
Old Dec 12th 2006, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

Mr Pants is on a distinguished road
Default Re: English solicitor requalifying in NSW

I am in the middle of the process. You apply for practical and academic exemptions and provided you are a few years qualified, I'm 16 years, you will be exempt from all subjects save Professional Responsibility and Trust and Office Accounts. You then undertake the course, it is online, via the College of Law NSW and sit the two exams. I have just done these. Once passed you apply to be admitted in NSW.

I can post the various contact details if you wish.

Good luck
Old Dec 12th 2006, 10:20 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Mr Pants! I think I saw your posting on one of my earlier searches.

I have applied for my academic exemptions - just scraped the 5 years PQE so am hoping that will be enough.

Am struggling with the Practical exemptions - how much detail did you go into in your application? I will be fine if I just have to sit Ethics/ Accounting but I don't want to have to spend a substantial amount of time / money on courses which are completely irrelevant to the typr of work I do.

At the moment I have a draft essay (10 pages so far!!) detailing all the "competencies", which luckily as I worked for a small firm in England, is quite extensive, but even so I am having some difficulty in finding much experience in some particular areas e.g. administrative law. I really don't know if I am going over the top and would be better to keep it simple. Also not sure what to do about references, I can get a couple form my old employers but what to say other than agreeing with above said essay? What did you do?

Any assistance would be gratefully received! At the moment I am thinking the exams are the easy bit??! So incidentally, how did you find them?

Thanks in advance for all your help, it is good to know someone out there has been in the same boat.

Juliet.x
Old Dec 13th 2006, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

Hi

You will definitely have to do PR(ethics) and TOA(accounts). You may have to do one or two further exams as well.

As to the application I just went through it methodically and gave what info they required. I didn't produce 10 pages though! I would suggest that you keep it detailed but try and shorten it a bit. As for topics such as Admin Law I believe they rely upon your degree studies in that regard.

I applied for academic and practical exemption at the same time, get it all done without too much duplication.

Once assessed they tell you which subjects you need to sit, and then you have 2 years to sit them and apply for admission.

The exams weren't too bad, as usual, it is all in the preparation! Online learning is not really my thing though.

Should have the exam results in about 3 weeks!

Good luck
Old Dec 13th 2006, 11:00 am
Just Joined

Thanks Mr P, that is all quite reassuring.

I have just this minute mailed one of my old supervisors back home for a reference, and will be asking another as well. Did you provide any? I also have a copy of my LPC syllabus (at great expense - typical College of Law) - do you think I should include this?

All the best with your exams, sounds like all the hard work is done now, just a question of turning up at the Supreme Court in a silly outfit! Are you working at the moment, or waiting till you get on the roll? I'm at a really small firm, hence no-one ever having gone through this before. Learning curve, like everything else, I am finding.

Cheers for your help anyway.

jux
Old Dec 13th 2006, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Ju

I'm still plodding away in the UK. Not coming to Oz for another year or so, already have visa though with 4 years left to run, but am coming over in Jan for 3 weeks.

You WILL have to provide an official transcript of your degree subjects and Law School subjects from the appropriate establishments, all at a cost. The LPAB rely on these to assess you for exemptions. You also need to send originals of various certificates.

I didn't submit any references.

There was a really useful info sheet with the application form when I submitted mine, about 10 months ago. Have they changed recently?

How did you find getting a job?

Subject to passing the exams I shall be applying for admission later in 2007 and coming over for the ceremony in October or so.

Regards

Shaun
Old Dec 13th 2006, 10:44 pm
Just Joined

Wow, you are in it for the long term. Good that you can do accounts and ethics from the UK, what would have happened if you had had to sit any of the other courses though?!

I sent off the official transcripts with my application for Academic exemptions (London Met didn't charge me and in fact I got a nice letter from my old tutor, hence the whinge about the College of Law!) I got the actual course syllabus ages ago as I thought I needed it (maybe when I was looking at being assessed for a permanent visa before coming here) so may as well use it, even though it makes my application look even fatter!

Am now worrying that my Academic exemptions application was a bit on the thin side, especially compared to this but hey ho....

I have got quite a lot of info off the Lawlink website, and despite everything suggesting it will just be ethics and accounts, it just doesn't seem to sit squarely with having to prove my expertise in all the difference areas especially the family / criminal / admin section which is the one I am struggling with.

I was really lucky getting a job - was here three years ago on a Working Holiday visa and got three months placement with an aquaintance of one of my colleagues thatI applied to - they have now sponsored me to come over on a 457 visa and so am just woking essentially as a paralegal at the moment - still doing all the Court work as if I was qualified but can't call myself "solicitor". Don't think it should be too difficult to get a job once you are admitted, but I agree nothing much going before then.

If you are in Sydney in Jan and want to swap notes by all means let me know...
jux