Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

English, Scottish, British, Welsh or Aussie

English, Scottish, British, Welsh or Aussie

Old Sep 19th 2003, 3:11 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Question English, Scottish, British, Welsh, Irish, Northern Irish or Aussie

How do you regard yourself, English, Scottish, British, Welsh, Irish, Northern Irish, Australian or does it really matter?

Have you changed allegiances since getting down under and what has devolution meant to your national identity?

This isn't about sport and is more about general attitudes to life and cultural habits.

Last edited by bondipom; Sep 19th 2003 at 3:26 am.
Old Sep 19th 2003, 3:17 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English, Scottish, British, Welsh or Aussie

Originally posted by bondipom
How do you regard yourself, English, Scottish, British, Welsh, Australian or does it really matter?

Have you changed allegiances since getting down under and what has devolution meant to your national identity?

This isn't about sport and is more about general attitudes to life and cultural habits.
Missed one - what about the paddies!

I am Irish, or depending on how explicit you want I am Northern Irish.

After nearly 20 years in England being called a paddy I am enjoying being here higher up the social tree than English

It is a personal opinion of course, but I think I will always be Irish, first and foremost. Mind you I plan to become a Citizen in Aus asap.

Cheers
Old Sep 19th 2003, 3:27 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Not been here long enough to class myself as an aussie, spent first half of life in Scotland, 2nd half in England so I'm a bit confused nationality wise.

As for cultural habits etc, I think it will take a year or so to lose some Uk ones and gain the Aussie ones so you are doing it without thinking.

I have secret desire to be a fitness freak & thought as soon as I moved to Oz it would happen, that I'd have Kylies bum etc but needless to say I'm still waiting.....
Old Sep 19th 2003, 3:27 am

Originally posted by Sandra
Missed one - what about the paddies!

I am Irish, or depending on how explicit you want I am Northern Irish.

After nearly 20 years in England being called a paddy I am enjoying being here higher up the social tree than English

It is a personal opinion of course, but I think I will always be Irish, first and foremost. Mind you I plan to become a Citizen in Aus asap.

Cheers
Thats not what they say behind your back. God knows what they say behind ours.
Old Sep 19th 2003, 3:40 am
slowly turning kiwi...

flygirl is an unknown quantity at this point

still very english...

lots of english habits and expressions. still have a southern english accent. have been told i even dress like a pom - am desperately hoping this was a compliment (!!!???)

have lived in this town for 2 years but people still ask me 'how long are you visiting for'....

i do have kiwi citizenship now (& a little blue passport), have even done jury service here. but no matter how hard i try i cant get anywhere near as excited when watching all blacks matches as i do when watching england. but the all blacks are coming to town for a training session next week so i guess i should go along!!! yum!
Old Sep 19th 2003, 3:41 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by bondipom
Thats not what they say behind your back. God knows what they say behind ours.
No need, more fun full frontal!
Old Sep 19th 2003, 3:52 am

Originally posted by Megalania
No need, more fun full frontal!
With or without thongs?
Old Sep 19th 2003, 4:43 am
BE Enthusiast

BookBear is an unknown quantity at this point

I still consider myself to be English. I suppose I might become a citizen, but then I'd still consider myself English.

What surprised me the other day, when I was talking to my bf's sister and her American fiance (he's just moved to Australia), was that I kept referring to 'we' when talking about Australians!
Old Sep 19th 2003, 5:16 am
Forum Regular

DaisyNZ is on a distinguished road

I've been here 11 years and most definitely English. I refuse to become a NZ citizen (being a resident has the same benefits, is there anything becoming a citizen would entitle me to that I can't already,hubby is a kiwi so we can travel to Oz etc). Anyway, I still don't get excited about rugby never mind the All Blacks. And after 11 years people still ask me where I'm from as though I'm visiting, or just emigrated!!! So even if we end up staying here, I'll always be a Pom in New Zealand rather than become a New Zealander. That is who I am. My boys have British passports now so I'm happy, until then I was outnumbered in the family!!! Being English gave me permission to laugh very loudly at the bad performance in the America's Cup, having said that, I think most kiwis had to laugh too!!!
Old Sep 19th 2003, 5:20 am
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by DaisyNZ
.... is there anything becoming a citizen would entitle me to that I can't already
Nice to see the suffragettes weren’t wasting their time
Old Sep 19th 2003, 5:55 am
Hello Sydney Oct 1

amaslam is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking

American.

No, I wasn't born in USA, but lived here most of my life. I also dream in English (or American English to your purists).

I don't think I'd consider myself Aussie until I've lived there the majority of my life and taken up the accents and local customs completely.
Old Sep 19th 2003, 5:57 am
Forum Regular

lynn kennedy is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure what I am! Born in Brum left there spent 10 yrs in Jersey (they are beans) 12 years in Isle of Man (manx) and now in Ozzieland. Suppose I'm an English Mongrel. Have definately become more patriotic since moving here as english get slated all the time!

Lets sound slushy as it's friday 'we are all citizens of the world"

Lynn
Old Sep 19th 2003, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

jockney is an unknown quantity at this point

Born in scotland,spent first 21 years there then moved to london where I`ve been for 22years.Nothing changes for me I`m still scottish(not to shortbready though)and cant see that changing after sunday when we fly for our new challenge in adelaide.My 16 week old daughter is a different kettle of fish as my wife is an english paddy ,god knows where her heart will lie.I guess if she decides she was born in england so call`s herself english I will have to apologise to her for digging up the wembely pitch in 1977.
Old Sep 19th 2003, 8:03 am
WBB

born in wales (insert sheep joke here) travelled the world from the age of 16 with the army spent a year in aus in 97 and hope to settle in brisbane.

but as they say you can take the boy out of wales but you cant take wales out of the boy.

Old Sep 19th 2003, 8:13 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

but as they say you can take the boy out of wales but you cant take wales out of the boy.

Or the boy out of the sheep (sorry, but you did say to do a sheep joke!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.