Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

English, Scottish, British, Welsh or Aussie

English, Scottish, British, Welsh or Aussie

Old Sep 19th 2003, 8:31 am
WBB

Originally posted by h garrett
Or the boy out of the sheep (sorry, but you did say to do a sheep joke!)
we shag em you eat em.

Old Sep 19th 2003, 11:52 am
Happy mum of 2 Aussies

Wanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to behold

Spent 10 years in South Africa, 10 years in Canada, the last 10 years in the UK, and now I'm moving on to Australia. At the moment I call myself British/Canadian (got both citizenships) God knows what I'd call myself if I got Aussie citizenship one day.
I think 'Citizen of the World' is a good a title as any.

W.
Old Sep 19th 2003, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

I was born in the UK. Emigrated to Australia when I was 9, came back to England when I was 30, and now at 40 I've just got back to Australia.

Have to admit that I call Australia home, and I consider myself an Ozzie (have dual citizenship).

Regards
Old Sep 19th 2003, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

weefi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Jaykay
I was born in the UK. Emigrated to Australia when I was 9, came back to England when I was 30, and now at 40 I've just got back to Australia.

Have to admit that I call Australia home, and I consider myself an Ozzie (have dual citizenship).

Regards

Fit like loons and quinies?!!

I'm most defo a Scot and proud of it!
I think my accent actually got stronger when down yonder and I became embarrassingly patriotic at times,especially when talking rugby!! Yes,Scotland are pretty dismal playing with odd shaped balls but we lose with a smile on our faces and keep coming back for more!! Gracious in defeat isn't something I'd associate with Aussies and rugby!!!!!!

It's a beautiful country and I'll miss the hills but not the weather!!

Fi

Brisvegas Dec
Old Sep 19th 2003, 2:48 pm
Free at last!

Houdini is on a distinguished road

I'm 50% Swiss, 50% Scottish, born in South Africa, lived there most of my life, currently live in the UK, moving to Oz..........

Still 100% South African
Old Sep 19th 2003, 2:53 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Jaykay

Regards
Opposite way around for me! I was born in Oz, bought up in UK to British parents, consider myself very British.
Old Sep 19th 2003, 2:58 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I have to admit that I already feel more at home when I'm in Oz, than I do in the UK. we moved house a lot when I was a kid, so I don't consider myself to have ties to any particular part of the UK, (except perhaps the bit of Welsh blood in me, from my dad's side). I intend to become an Aussie citizen as soon as I can, though I guess part of me will always have a bit of loyalty to Britain.
I already support the Aussie cricket team, follow Aussie motor racing, and will be cheering for the Aussie in the Rugby World Cup. Odd how I feel more affinity to that side of the world than this, can't explain it, but maybe its because having made the decision to emigrate, I feel I should try and integrate with my new country. Sounds very smarmy I suppose, but as they've agreed to let me in, I feel I should put something into the country in return.
Old Sep 19th 2003, 3:23 pm
WBB

Originally posted by Pollyana
I have to admit that I already feel more at home when I'm in Oz, than I do in the UK. we moved house a lot when I was a kid, so I don't consider myself to have ties to any particular part of the UK, (except perhaps the bit of Welsh blood in me, from my dad's side). I intend to become an Aussie citizen as soon as I can, though I guess part of me will always have a bit of loyalty to Britain.
I already support the Aussie cricket team, follow Aussie motor racing, and will be cheering for the Aussie in the Rugby World Cup. Odd how I feel more affinity to that side of the world than this, can't explain it, but maybe its because having made the decision to emigrate, I feel I should try and integrate with my new country. Sounds very smarmy I suppose, but as they've agreed to let me in, I feel I should put something into the country in return.

yes i agree, and when you become a citizen dont you have to swear some sort of oath to serve australia

i maybe wrong :lecture:

Old Sep 19th 2003, 3:45 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP PLEDGE

From this time forward, under God
I pledge my loyalty to Australia and its people,
whose Democratic beliefs I share,
whose rights and liberties I respect,
and whose laws I will uphold and obey.

:lecture:
Old Sep 19th 2003, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Pollyana
AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP PLEDGE

From this time forward, under God
I pledge my loyalty to Australia and its people,
whose Democratic beliefs I share,
whose rights and liberties I respect,
and whose laws I will uphold and obey.

:lecture:

Have you been practising Polyanna!
Old Sep 19th 2003, 4:24 pm
Home and Happy

Don't know it off by heart yet! I do know the words to Advance Australia Fair, however, which I am assured is more than many Australians know...!!
Old Sep 19th 2003, 4:26 pm
Nov 27th 2003: Brisbane

BrisbaneBrummie is an unknown quantity at this point

What a good question.........

I spent the first 16 years of my life in Birmingham, Enlgish by birth, English background.
A couple of years in the army, followed by 15 years in South Wales.

Firstly I'm a Brummie then an Englishman, then I am British.

But without doubt, I believe in becoming part of the community where you live. Like someone earlier said, 'give somehing back'.

I look forward to becoming part of my new home!

Trev
Old Sep 19th 2003, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

cam the man is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jockney
Born in scotland,spent first 21 years there then moved to london where I`ve been for 22years.Nothing changes for me I`m still scottish(not to shortbready though)and cant see that changing after sunday when we fly for our new challenge in adelaide.My 16 week old daughter is a different kettle of fish as my wife is an english paddy ,god knows where her heart will lie.I guess if she decides she was born in england so call`s herself english I will have to apologise to her for digging up the wembely pitch in 1977.
NEVER apologise for digging up the turf at Wembley!
Old Sep 19th 2003, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road
Default Re: English, Scottish, British, Welsh, Irish, Northern Irish or Aussie

Originally posted by bondipom
How do you regard yourself, English, Scottish, British, Welsh, Irish, Northern Irish, Australian or does it really matter?

Have you changed allegiances since getting down under and what has devolution meant to your national identity?

This isn't about sport and is more about general attitudes to life and cultural habits.

I don't class myself as British/English, i have just asked Mark and my 11 year old and we all agree that we are half Australian as in nearly a full one!
regards
rach
Old Sep 19th 2003, 7:08 pm
Nov 27th 2003: Brisbane

BrisbaneBrummie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by cam the man
NEVER apologise for digging up the turf at Wembley!
OI!

LOL!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.