Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

English Football in Brisbane

English Football in Brisbane

Old Nov 4th 2004, 1:11 pm
chilled member

sloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond repute
Default English Football in Brisbane

I know this may sound a trivial question but its dead serious to me..

Are any of the English Premership Matches shown on TV in Brisbane?

Being a big Chelsea fan, my only regret about leaving the UK is the fact I wont see them live any more, my only consolation will be to at least see Chelsea matches on TV.
Old Nov 4th 2004, 1:54 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English Football in Brisbane

Originally Posted by sloake

Being a big Chelsea fan, my only regret about leaving the UK is the fact I wont see them live any more, my only consolation will be to at least see Chelsea matches on TV.
I saw a few premiership matches all over Australia while I was out there 18 months ago. You may need to subscribe to a premium channel though. Only problem is the timing. 12pm kick offs are just do-able at 11pm in Aus but for a 3pm kick off it needs to be special to stay up for. I did that for the Arsenal - Southampton cup final and wished I hadn't bothered.
Old Nov 4th 2004, 2:02 pm
chilled member

sloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Worzel

thanks for that.. I wont be to worried about the time difference..as long as I get the chance to watch (or even video)

A few beers out, clubbing then home to the football sounds like a good plan for me... then off to safe in knowledge that Chelsea have won.. (hopefully)
Old Nov 4th 2004, 2:05 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Hiya sloake,

Been a blues fan long? I used to go in the days of David Speedie and Kerry Dixon ... to say nothing of John Bumstead.

Bit of a lapsed fan now, anyway, good luck with your move ... any particular bit of Brisbane you looking at?

Cheers,
Matt
Old Nov 4th 2004, 2:09 pm
chilled member

Originally Posted by Deadmeat
Hiya sloake,

Been a blues fan long? I used to go in the days of David Speedie and Kerry Dixon ... to say nothing of John Bumstead.

Bit of a lapsed fan now, anyway, good luck with your move ... any particular bit of Brisbane you looking at?

Cheers,
Matt
Been a Chelsea fan since 1997 ( I know its not that long, I only started following English football and supporting them when I moved to the UK from the Channel Islands)

moving to Brissie, on 6th Jan looking at either New Farm or Fortitude Valley area..
Old Nov 4th 2004, 2:18 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Been a Chelsea fan since 1997 ( I know its not that long, I only started following English football and supporting them when I moved to the UK from the Channel Islands)

moving to Brissie, on 6th Jan looking at either New Farm or Fortitude Valley area..
You'll have missed the terraced fun and games of The Shed then? That was fun. I've got some great memories of some terrible performances - never did have any luck when I was watching them so it's probably for the best.

Getting beat (in the pouring rain) 4-0 by West Ham sticks in the mind with Cottee and that blonde scottish bloke running riot.

I'm aiming to be in Brissy just before you, as soon into the New Year as I can manage.
Old Nov 4th 2004, 2:24 pm
chilled member

You'll have missed the terraced fun and games of The Shed then? That was fun. I've got some great memories of some terrible performances - never did have any luck when I was watching them so it's probably for the best.

Getting beat (in the pouring rain) 4-0 by West Ham sticks in the mind with Cottee and that blonde scottish bloke running riot.

I'm aiming to be in Brissy just before you, as soon into the New Year as I can manage.

Yeah missed all them, when I go, I get stuck in the West Upper Section, great view but not that much atmosphere rather be in the Shed or MH end.. Went a couple of weeks back from my last match Chelsea 4 - Blackburn 1.. well worth it..

Well as your going to be in Brissie before me, I will let you find the first bar that stays open to show Chelsea matches..
Old Nov 4th 2004, 2:27 pm
Account Closed

Yeah missed all them, when I go, I get stuck in the West Upper Section, great view but not that much atmosphere rather be in the Shed or MH end.. Went a couple of weeks back from my last match Chelsea 4 - Blackburn 1.. well worth it..

Well as your going to be in Brissie before me, I will let you find the first bar that stays open to show Chelsea matches..
I can't remember my last game but I did go to the Full Members Cup Final at a terraced Wembley one year (4-3 vs Man City after being 3-1 down, great match), so that's how long ago it was! I stick with my local side, Gillingham, these days.

I'll investigate the bar situation, purely for research purposes!
Old Nov 4th 2004, 3:52 pm
Arriving in GC 12th Jan

elksa will become famous soon enoughelksa will become famous soon enough

Probably better if you can't get to see them when your out there. It will stop you blues fans getting upset when you finish behind those Gonners AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN.
Old Nov 4th 2004, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: English Football in Brisbane

Yeh foxtel have about 5 matches on over the weekend, all the live sky games and a 3pm kick off game as well. Best time for Oz are the 12:45 Saturday games, but a 4 o'clock Sunday game would be a nightmare as it is Monday morn and you would be getting up for work, unless you get on shifts?

I have thoroughly looked into this, and I know it sounds selfish but one of the things I looked for in emigrating to Oz was the love of sport

But if the missus asks it is for quality of life
Old Nov 5th 2004, 8:13 am
chilled member

Originally Posted by Dicko
Yeh foxtel have about 5 matches on over the weekend, all the live sky games and a 3pm kick off game as well. Best time for Oz are the 12:45 Saturday games, but a 4 o'clock Sunday game would be a nightmare as it is Monday morn and you would be getting up for work, unless you get on shifts?

I have thoroughly looked into this, and I know it sounds selfish but one of the things I looked for in emigrating to Oz was the love of sport

But if the missus asks it is for quality of life

Thanks for that info, set my mind at rest.. True about the Sunday games..

Good luck to Everton this Saturday, but I hope you dont win...
Old Nov 6th 2004, 6:56 am
Just Joined

martywild is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't remember my last game but I did go to the Full Members Cup Final at a terraced Wembley one year (4-3 vs Man City after being 3-1 down, great match), so that's how long ago it was! I stick with my local side, Gillingham, these days.

I'll investigate the bar situation, purely for research purposes!
Must have had too much beer on the terraces that day. Chelsea won 5-4 after leading 5-1 with a few minutes to go (1986). In City's defence, they had played United in a 2-2 derby just 24 hours before.

Anyway, loads of live "soccer" on the box over here,possibly more than in the UK. Usually 3 games on a Saturday night / Sunday morning, 2 or 3 on a Sunday night and the Monday night game is on Tuesday morning here.
You will need Fox Sports though and plenty of staying power.
Old Nov 6th 2004, 7:38 am
PommieLeague

This is the best sport in Brissy Real Footy

Old Nov 6th 2004, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: English Football in Brisbane

Originally Posted by Lathlain
This is the best sport in Brissy Real Footy

Hey Lathlain,
I really like the Rugby League, when I was over I went to watch the Bronco's against the Dragons at the Suncorp stadium, it was a great atmosphere and so cheap as well with free trains with your match ticket, and free buses to the ground, I think it cost us about $70 for 2 adults and 2 kids, great value!

I went last week to Manchester to watch Britain against the Aussies that was great as well, but poor last minute

Anyway that one cost me a bit more to go and watch, but enjoyed it all the same!

I suppose I will have to continue in participating and watching as much sport as I can over there, How annoying
Old Nov 6th 2004, 12:36 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by martywild
Must have had too much beer on the terraces that day. Chelsea won 5-4 after leading 5-1 with a few minutes to go (1986). In City's defence, they had played United in a 2-2 derby just 24 hours before.

Anyway, loads of live "soccer" on the box over here,possibly more than in the UK. Usually 3 games on a Saturday night / Sunday morning, 2 or 3 on a Sunday night and the Monday night game is on Tuesday morning here.
You will need Fox Sports though and plenty of staying power.
Blimey ... the things booze will do to your memory over time! I knew it was a close game anyway

I definitely remember Gillingham losing on penalties to City after leading 2-0 with a ridiculously small amount of time to go ... remember that well ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.