Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

English builders in Oz

English builders in Oz

Old Aug 29th 2005, 8:42 am
Just Joined

Roofman is a jewel in the roughRoofman is a jewel in the roughRoofman is a jewel in the roughRoofman is a jewel in the rough
Default English builders in Oz

Is it a common thing to find that the expat community use their own builders whilst in Australia? I know this is common for places like Spain. How easy is it for an English builder to set up on his own in Oz? Are the building practices much different?
Old Aug 29th 2005, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

Location: caerphilly, south wales, avonsleigh, melbourne as of 30/03/05!!!!
carloubateman is a jewel in the roughcarloubateman is a jewel in the roughcarloubateman is a jewel in the roughcarloubateman is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: English builders in Oz

Originally Posted by Roofman
Is it a common thing to find that the expat community use their own builders whilst in Australia? I know this is common for places like Spain. How easy is it for an English builder to set up on his own in Oz? Are the building practices much different?
the building practices arnt that much different, it tends to be a lot easier out here i find personally, there are no cavity walls, single skin brickwork, they dont give a s*** about the presentation of the face work because it all gets acid washed after the brickwork is completed!
drawings are a lot simpler, they seem to be about 4-5 years behind in their building regs.
bricks are a bit bigger, gages are different 75 at home over here its 85, 86, 87, 88.
there seems to be plenty of work out here for british builders in my opinion, in melbourne any way!

regards

carl
Old Aug 29th 2005, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

shade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really nice

Originally Posted by carloubateman
the building practices arnt that much different, it tends to be a lot easier out here i find personally, there are no cavity walls, single skin brickwork, they dont give a s*** about the presentation of the face work because it all gets acid washed after the brickwork is completed!
drawings are a lot simpler, they seem to be about 4-5 years behind in their building regs.
bricks are a bit bigger, gages are different 75 at home over here its 85, 86, 87, 88.
there seems to be plenty of work out here for british builders in my opinion, in melbourne any way!

regards

carl
Get your a.. out here.We are crying out for builders here in Perth.I think you would even be fast tracked.
Old Aug 29th 2005, 10:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah mate loads of work ignores the fact you need a license. To get that you will need extensive australian work experience and knowledge plus qualifications in Aus. My builders licenses for NSW, Victoria and Queensland, were granted after 12 years Aus experience as a carpenter, supervisor, project manager, and study, then extensive testing and financial investigation to assure my liability to the client in the case of any error. Every year I am investigated again and audited. Also need to do 2/3 days a month doing further study to even begin to keep up with the ever changing regulations and liability.

Getting a single trade license can take up to 8 months if qualified in the first place. Maybe after a couple of years you could undertake study to sit for a builders lic, even then be very confident you know your laws inside and out, regulation is tough here and liability is the name of the game.

Start with the licensing body in your state. PM me if you cant find them through a search. Rich

Should add There are now university degrees which is another way to qualify. Then some experience and asset building.

Last edited by jad n rich; Aug 29th 2005 at 11:07 am.
Old Aug 29th 2005, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

sara-anthony3108 is a jewel in the roughsara-anthony3108 is a jewel in the roughsara-anthony3108 is a jewel in the roughsara-anthony3108 is a jewel in the roughsara-anthony3108 is a jewel in the rough

where and when r u heading .. my hubby is a builder .. just spoke to his uncle yesterday and he says they are paying $1200 p/thousand in perth and abt 1.30 per block.. he is hoping to set up by himself aswell ... we go for medicals tomorrow

Originally Posted by Roofman
Old Aug 29th 2005, 5:30 pm
Just Joined

Roofman is a jewel in the roughRoofman is a jewel in the roughRoofman is a jewel in the roughRoofman is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by sara-anthony3108
where and when r u heading .. my hubby is a builder .. just spoke to his uncle yesterday and he says they are paying $1200 p/thousand in perth and abt 1.30 per block.. he is hoping to set up by himself aswell ... we go for medicals tomorrow
We were hoping to go to Brisbane. I'm more of a roofer than bricklayer although we do small extensions/loft conversions here. Money sounds good though!!