Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

England vs Australia Rugby

England vs Australia Rugby

Old Jun 21st 2003, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

Teliko19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default England vs Australia Rugby

Well I just got back from the match and it was great! Was sat with the noisy crowd, Australians and English ppl, we were all having a ball. I wore my England shirt with pride of course!

Its funny what alcohol does to ppl, one person had to be restrained from attacking the Australian coach when he walked past, 2 others got in a competition to see who could shout the loudest (Oz vs English) shouting cheating cheating pommies or boring boring Australia... but aprt from that I loved it and can't wait for the World Cup. And of course we kicked Australian ass as expected!
Old Jun 21st 2003, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

kevmitch is on a distinguished road
Default Re: England vs Australia Rugby

Watched the match on Sky - a great England performance, can't wait to see what the Aussie press say ... no doubt it will be cheating, boring, dirty, lucky England, bad referreing, playing a weakened team, nothing on the match, it will be different in October, etc, etc. (perm any 3 from the above and you too can be an aussie journalist)

Its a great day for all the Poms in Australia, and all those hoping to arrive soon ... something to crow about for a change.
Old Jun 21st 2003, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

Zebra4 is on a distinguished road

Great game and a well deserved win by the English. Far from boring. Made up for the Eurovision Song Contest?

The IRB will be delighted to get more tickets sold for the World Cup. A full strength Wallabies with a few games behind them will be a different contest come October. Watch out for the All Blacks after the Tri Nations. Who can beat them in the World Cup?
Old Jun 21st 2003, 4:47 pm
Geelong October!!!!

Codgob is an unknown quantity at this point

Hic!!!!!!!!!!,ah being a English bloke in Wales all the better,ah sweet joy!
Old Jun 21st 2003, 10:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

muppetking is on a distinguished road

I love Martin Johnson's comment, post match."We were hoping for rain but unfortunately we had to play some rugby." Priceless! At least the Ozzies were rather more gracious in defeat than the bleating Kiwis.
Old Jun 22nd 2003, 1:06 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by muppetking
I love Martin Johnson's comment, post match."We were hoping for rain but unfortunately we had to play some rugby." Priceless! At least the Ozzies were rather more gracious in defeat than the bleating Kiwis.
probably because apart from the two rugby states {QUEENSLAND&NSW} the rest of the country could,nt give a toss, be intresting to see the viewer numbers in each state, but i must admit its good to see the poms win somthing ............... MM
Old Jun 22nd 2003, 5:00 am
Forum Regular

boots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud of

Not being an expert in the difference between league and union rugby it seems the Aussie players need to pull their finger out,namely Hopoate,to give the Poms their usual whipping in sports.
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 8:14 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: England vs Australia Rugby

I had to make do with watching the game in the Walkabout in London.

But I more than made the most of it.

Also thanks to all my girlfriends friends (all aussies) who made my weekend very profitable with the amount of side bets I had going on.

Aint Aussie arrogance great, never heard such a quiet place after the match.

TT

Originally posted by Teliko19
Well I just got back from the match and it was great! Was sat with the noisy crowd, Australians and English ppl, we were all having a ball. I wore my England shirt with pride of course!

Its funny what alcohol does to ppl, one person had to be restrained from attacking the Australian coach when he walked past, 2 others got in a competition to see who could shout the loudest (Oz vs English) shouting cheating cheating pommies or boring boring Australia... but aprt from that I loved it and can't wait for the World Cup. And of course we kicked Australian ass as expected!
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 10:15 am
earlswood

What a brilliant result and I even bet our agent in Oz a fiver that we would win!!

That's bought the final bill down a bit.

Earlswood

Old Jun 23rd 2003, 10:25 am
Badge

England played a great game - even Hughesey had a great one (the ref). It was great he didn't blow up every few seconds.

Even Jase had a few good runs - his run through the aussie midifeld was fantastic - defences were starting to read him.

And Josh Lewsey poleaxing Rogers was great.

badgers

PS

Start learning the following song in time for the World Cup

(To the tune of "And Shall Trelawney Live..")

A good sword and a trusty hand, a merry heart and true
Australia's men shall understand what English lads can do
And have they fixed the where and when, and can we score a try?
Here's fifty thousand English men who know the reason why!!

Chorus
======
And shall Australia win?
And did Campese lie?
Here's fifty thousand English men
who know the reason why!!!

Any volunteers for writing a second verse?

Old Jun 23rd 2003, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

Zebra4 is on a distinguished road

Well played by the English.

But hasn't anyone noticed that NZ & Oz were without a penalty kicker? So Wales weren't really trying when they went down by 8 tries on Sat?
Who is going to beat the All Blacks in the World Cup?
Old Jun 24th 2003, 5:08 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mr mover
probably because apart from the two rugby states {QUEENSLAND&NSW} the rest of the country could,nt give a toss, be intresting to see the viewer numbers in each state, but i must admit its good to see the poms win somthing ............... MM
The AFL called off all their games plus it was live all over Australia , the press here are still licking their wounds.
Hows Lleyton ?

Old Jun 24th 2003, 5:16 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Zebra4
Well played by the English.

But hasn't anyone noticed that NZ & Oz were without a penalty kicker? So Wales weren't really trying when they went down by 8 tries on Sat?
Who is going to beat the All Blacks in the World Cup?

England will in the Final ?

Old Jun 24th 2003, 6:34 am
Forum Regular

sophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant future
Unhappy

I really enjoyed watching the match, but unfortunately by Aussie friends are of the extremely sport-proud variety. I've known them for years, but I'm ashamed to say that we left the pub 30min after the game because the conversation took an ugly turn

Every time they win, they get to cheer and we congratulate - though after the GB v Aus rugby league last year or the Ashes it's more like gloating. If we win we're not allowed to cheer or even sing because 'England were trying to create professional fouls all the way through, the ref was an idiot'. Riiiight. 'How else could a team with 6 over-30s win?' Maybe by scoring tries, the same way as usual...

This is one aspect of Australia I will never get used to, though hopefully it's just a Sydney thing. Everything's been cleared up as far as our friendship goes, but sometimes I which they could hear how insulting they become *before* the alcohol leaves the system. I wonder what they'll say about Lleyton tonight...
Old Jun 24th 2003, 6:39 am
Banned

Originally posted by sophiedb
I really enjoyed watching the match, but unfortunately by Aussie friends are of the extremely sport-proud variety. I've known them for years, but I'm ashamed to say that we left the pub 30min after the game because the conversation took an ugly turn

Every time they win, they get to cheer and we congratulate - though after the GB v Aus rugby league last year or the Ashes it's more like gloating. If we win we're not allowed to cheer or even sing because 'England were trying to create professional fouls all the way through, the ref was an idiot'. Riiiight. 'How else could a team with 6 over-30s win?' Maybe by scoring tries, the same way as usual...

This is one aspect of Australia I will never get used to, though hopefully it's just a Sydney thing. Everything's been cleared up as far as our friendship goes, but sometimes I which they could hear how insulting they become *before* the alcohol leaves the system. I wonder what they'll say about Lleyton tonight...

Sorry to say its not the Aussies have a large chip on each shoulder they hate lose to the Poms , the word sporting was banished here long ago.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.