Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

England shirts in Oz Yes or No ?

England shirts in Oz Yes or No ?

Old Dec 8th 2006, 6:25 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: England shirts in Oz Yes or No ?

Originally Posted by tony_russell
It is because of all this type of ridiculous "PC" rubbish that many people choose to emigrate in the first place.
And you think emigrating will leave this behind...?
Old Dec 8th 2006, 6:33 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by OzTennis
The thought occurs that your son could go a mere 20 miles or so north from Sunderland wearing his shirt and the chat wouldn't be so positive (Makem etc).

OzTennis
Quite correct but he wore it bravely in UK as well, think it has given him a sense of spirit to support an underdog with only one leg, one eye and no teeth rather than a team that wins all the time as it has lots of money.

Can remember when Man'U and Liverpool were first becoming big and the number of Northern kids who would have supported Newcastle or Sunderland who chose to support them just because they had money and won.

At least my kid knows winning isn't everything just an occasional miracle.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 7:16 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

I am shocked and outraged at some of the pathetic and anal views of some of the posters on this thread. What the hell is wrong with England shirts or tattoos for that matter. It is because of all this type of ridiculous "PC" rubbish that many people choose to emigrate in the first place. I really can't believe the pure snobery i'm reading.
If theres nothing wrong with it, why do people get stick for wearing it here ?

There's a time and a place for everything. I dont feel the need to try and openly declare that I'm English and walk into a pub wearing an England shirt in one of the most nationaly loyal sporting countries in the world and then moan about getting aggro about it. It's kinda a no brainer and nothing to do with being PC.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 7:24 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion

There's a time and a place for everything. I dont feel the need to try and openly declare that I'm English and walk into a pub wearing an England shirt in one of the most nationaly loyal sporting countries in the world and then moan about getting aggro about it. It's kinda a no brainer and nothing to do with being PC.
Spot on...
Old Dec 8th 2006, 7:25 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

oh karma coming your way for that!
Old Dec 8th 2006, 7:27 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

I encouraged both my girls to dress and express themselves in whatever way they wanted to. It is after all an individuals choice to wear what they want to wear and they shouldn't be judged on it.

Whilst at high school my youngest dressed as a "Gegga" sort of very mild gothy/rock. She had to endure no end of abuse from others who didn't dress the same. Eighteen months later she now dresses in trendy stuff. The same lads who gave her abuse are now trying to chat her up. She's still the same girl so why the change in attitude? Because generally speaking, most people judge you on appearance. They put you into a little catergory based on what you are wearing and if you don't belong to their group, they judge you accordingly.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 7:33 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am shocked and outraged at some of the pathetic and anal views of some of the posters on this thread. What the hell is wrong with England shirts or tattoos for that matter. It is because of all this type of ridiculous "PC" rubbish that many people choose to emigrate in the first place. I really can't believe the pure snobery i'm reading.

Am I being a snob if I say I dont like tattoos and football shirts??

I also cant stand gold buttoned navy blazers, Jaguar cars and men who wear loafers - all classic attributes of the upper classes... so does that mean I have a reverse snobbery going on about them??

and your post is a little confusing - you say its PC rubbish and then say its snobbery ..... PC would mean nobody would dare infer any kind of snobbery for fear of being "un pc".

and I'm sure you've also thought about someone you've only observed and then made judgement as being a posh toff and probably even spoken about it too so I would'nt get so mad and offended by something so trivial - you'll never last as an expat if you're this touchy!

Last edited by username 34; Dec 8th 2006 at 9:13 pm.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by annqldau
It's amazing how many Expats have stopped us when my son wears his Sunderland shirt to ask do we live here etc. and it's always because of the distinctive top. We have only ever had positive chat as a result.
Hi,

I've got to agree with that. When we've been out and our children have had their Pomper kits on we've often had somebody chat again nothing negative has ever been said.

I think to be honest that its how you behave is more important than wearing a particular shirt. Behave like a yob and people will treat you like a yob! I've seen lots of bad chavvy behaviour from people who aren't wearing football shirts.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by matt-and-jenny
I guess you could think to yourself what would your reaction be if you saw a person or a liitle kid walking down an English street with an Australian sports shirt on.
J.

No one would bat an eyelid and all very double standards
Old Dec 8th 2006, 11:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Whether you like it or not, some soccer tops do have negative connotations - unfortunately, especially IF the person wearing it opens his mouth and confirms what you've come to expect. In this respect I can see where northern bird (and other posters) are coming from. That's not to say its everyone.

I don't wear national tops anymore - just don't fancy it as I don't go to the games anymore. That's living in VIC for you(!) Luckily the rugby fraternity has a fantastic reputation. I'd actually rather wear a top from another country to show my support for the world game.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 11:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymad
The irony is that soccer is a far more skillful and athletically demanding game than rugby (half the positions on the rugby field are for people who frankly couldn't play most other sports because of their bulk or lack of pace).
have you watched rugby lately!!
Can you name these players please,i think your qite wrong on this point my friend,years ago..yes,but not any more.the game has changed and so have the players.
You were able to tell a players position without looking at his shirt number,not anymore.
Of course there exeptions which I'm sure you'll remind me of but on the whole I think your out of touch........although we can go to the video ref!
In current international rugby even props are quite 'fit' (allowing for shear bulk of course!) They have to move around for 80mins remember.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 11:16 pm
Where's the factor 30.

Mid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pomster
My thought would be ' oh look an Australian supporter"....can't see what the problem is by wearing something to show your support.

If you lived in London and wore a Man U football shirt, would people tell the wearer to go back to Manchester?

Tolerance for all!
No.Cause we are used to seeing Man U shirts in London.There are more Man U supporters in Fiji than there are in Manchester.Even my nephew supports Man U (and wears the shirt )and he lives in Somersett.
A true Mancunian would wear a sky blue shirt
Old Dec 8th 2006, 11:23 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
Ah! But what you are effectively saying is that anyone with a tattoo is a small minded yobbo that wears football shirts, spends his life in the pub, hates all other nationalities and likes a fight! NOT SO!!!!

I have tattoos, several in fact....I am not a yob, I have manners, I am respectable, speak politely, open doors for people (not just ladies), respect the law, love my mum - god rest her soul, and work bloody hard to make a good life for me and mine.....so, what's so bad about someone who thinks tattoos are cool? Do tell, I really am intrigued?
There isn't anything bad about someone who likes tattoos, I never said there was. I just don't like them.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 11:26 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simpy
Thing is you DID insult me personally by your pathetic comments and stereotyping of people with tattoo's and not only me, but you insulted a LOT of people with your comments. If it's your preference to not like tattoo's then keep your opinions to yourself, to air your single minded views on a public forum where you can insult people who you don't even have the pleasure of knowing personally (and with comments like yours i don't think you ever will be fortunate to know them) is rather stupid and if you think that by doing so you won't get comments back is a bit simpleminded, you may as well stand on the town hall steps and announce the same.
You like them I don't its as simple as that and as you say this is an open forum where we can all express our opinions. I have as much right to say I don't like them as you have to say you like them. If you were offended by my opinion that was not my intention. My comment was slightly tongue in cheek as there was a previous heated debate on tattoos a few weeks back.

Last edited by northernbird; Dec 8th 2006 at 11:40 pm.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 11:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I have to agree. All things being equal I'd rather keep a team shirt to a sporting event. I wouldn't wear one to the local, or to go shopping.

I have a couple of tattoos that are very subtle, and as a result people like them (when shown). But you know what, I wouldn't have them done if I had my time again and I would not recommend them to anyone.It was an impetuous act.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.