Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

England shirts in Oz Yes or No ?

England shirts in Oz Yes or No ?

Old Dec 8th 2006, 9:17 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: England shirts in Oz Yes or No ?

Originally Posted by simpy
Its because of pillocks like you who stereotype people because of their individuality that the world is full of small minded people who cause more problems than solve them. Prepare for a history lesson in the origins of the English Tattoo culture

'After captain cook returned from his voyage to polynesia
tattooing became a tradition in the british navy.
by the middle of the 18th century most british ports had
at least one professional tattoo artist in residence.
in 1862, the prince of wales, later to become king edward VII,
received his first tattoo - a jerusalem cross - on his arm.
he started a tattoo fad among the aristocracy when he was
tattooed before ascending to the throne.
in 1882, his sons, the duke of clarence and the duke of york
were tattooed by the japanese master tattooist, hori chiyo.'

can't see many of them wearing football shirts and acting 'yobbish'

Yes I have tattoo's, signifing the births of my children, designed by myself to create an individuality for myself.
You must have a very small circle of 'same style, materialistic' friends because of your outlook on people, see now i'm stereotyping you just because you don't like tattoos.
Well said - I may not have a tattoo but I've nothing against them. And I wear an England and other football shirts fairly frequently which must mean I'm inbred and stupid according to some. Then, these same people go to Australia and wonder why 'poms' are sometimes ridiculed...

Makes me laugh...
Old Dec 8th 2006, 9:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
Wht not wear a shirt with an Aussie flag , has a union jack in it and he won't get any verbal abuse from anyone.
Apart from the 'get our UJ off your flag' comments.

It's an interesting question though and is a broader issue about what we wear letting others know what we 'belong to' (it can be a tribe like a football club, a country as in this case with an England shirt or whatever, even I belong to a fashion conscious tribe).

For example, ask most people if there is a difference between a plain garment and one with a little swoosh or 3 stripes or whatever and they will say yes. But does it affect the functionality of the garment - no. Obviously people make statements by what they wear (or not wear in the case of thongs in supermarkets).

I wouldn't mind betting the people who think football strips are naff make their own statements in their own different way. Personally I think it's naff to pay a huge premium for a designer label eg plain T-shirt a few £'s or $'s to produce in a sweatshirt in the Far East, put a swoosh, 3 stripes or some designers name on it and mark it up 500%, sells like hotcakes. Of course the football shirt is made in a sweatshirt in the Far East and is marked up 500% too. There's lots of money to be made exploiting people who want to make 'I belong' statements.

Oh and on the original question, go for it, why not wear it?

OzTennis
Old Dec 8th 2006, 9:41 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simpy
Its because of pillocks like you who stereotype people because of their individuality that the world is full of small minded people who cause more problems than solve them. Prepare for a history lesson in the origins of the English Tattoo culture

'After captain cook returned from his voyage to polynesia
tattooing became a tradition in the british navy.
by the middle of the 18th century most british ports had
at least one professional tattoo artist in residence.
in 1862, the prince of wales, later to become king edward VII,
received his first tattoo - a jerusalem cross - on his arm.
he started a tattoo fad among the aristocracy when he was
tattooed before ascending to the throne.
in 1882, his sons, the duke of clarence and the duke of york
were tattooed by the japanese master tattooist, hori chiyo.'

can't see many of them wearing football shirts and acting 'yobbish'

Yes I have tattoo's, signifing the births of my children, designed by myself to create an individuality for myself.
You must have a very small circle of 'same style, materialistic' friends because of your outlook on people, see now i'm stereotyping you just because you don't like tattoos.
thank you for that, most interesting. I don't recall insulting you personally. I would ask you grant me the same courtesy.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 9:44 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyphilpott
Well said - I may not have a tattoo but I've nothing against them. And I wear an England and other football shirts fairly frequently which must mean I'm inbred and stupid according to some. Then, these same people go to Australia and wonder why 'poms' are sometimes ridiculed...

Makes me laugh...
I think you will find the reasons poms are ridiculed is far deeper than that. I don't have anything against tattoos either, I don't like them but believe its an individuals right to have one.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 9:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ian & Sharon
I've got loads of Liverpool shirts from seasons ago, I will wear them when I want, well when there the nearest to me when getting dressed. I've had no problems over here just great comments, people tell me that they support Liverpool and there family come from Liverpool (get the old "do you know them").
However I have never owned a England shirt and to be honest would not want to until they won something major

I do think the link between people who wear football shirts and have tattoos is daft, also don't tar everyone who wears a shirt to be a dick head. Thats a bit like saying if you voted labour you drink bitter and wear a flat cap, have a greyhound and eat tripe.

Anyway off to walk the hound

Ian
Do you know that it now seems certain that LFC will be bought by Sheikh Makhtoum of Dubai (Fly Emirates, Dubai Duty Free, richest horserace in the world and all that)? Benitez is looking forward to lots of Dirhams to buy players and compete with Chelsea and Man Utd.

OzTennis
Old Dec 8th 2006, 10:40 am

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

I have and do wear many sports tops , strikes up more coverations than a normal t shirt .
Never been told off in the street for it LOL.

Infact i bought a chelsea top just the other day as we had run out of rags at home .
Old Dec 8th 2006, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

neiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to all

i do not think it matters what shirt you wear or what country you are from this happens the whole world over people are laways juged by what they wear or what make they wear and oppions are made by this sometimes you just have to look a little deeper than the surface to find out what sombody is like and then make your jugment not by what they wear ,colour of there skin or where they are from.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

njk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of light

I think that wearing a team top can do 1 of 3 things:
1. Someone will take offence to it and become annoyed (or annoying)
2. Someone will use it as a cue to start a friendly conversation

or

3. No one will bat an eyelid.

If you can gauge the reaction you are likely to receive, base your decision to wear or not on that.

Personally, I won't wear one as I don't want to offend anyone. I'll probably offend them in some other manner, but at least I've removed one potential cause.
I'm not saying we should go out of our way not to offend, we should be able to do as we please - unfortunately life isn't like that all the time.

My little girl wore a red t-shirt/short [similar to England away kit but cheaper]set to creche the other day and no one said anything, mainly because Soccer isn't that 'big' in NT I guess.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 11:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by neiluk
i do not think it matters what shirt you wear or what country you are from this happens the whole world over people are laways juged by what they wear or what make they wear and oppions are made by this sometimes you just have to look a little deeper than the surface to find out what sombody is like and then make your jugment not by what they wear ,colour of there skin or where they are from.
True, but you only get one chance to make a first impression!

OzTennis
Old Dec 8th 2006, 11:38 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Perthforme
I have and do wear many sports tops , strikes up more coverations than a normal t shirt .
Never been told off in the street for it LOL.

Infact i bought a chelsea top just the other day as we had run out of rags at home .
It's amazing how many Expats have stopped us when my son wears his Sunderland shirt to ask do we live here etc. and it's always because of the distinctive top. We have only ever had positive chat as a result.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 1:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by annqldau
It's amazing how many Expats have stopped us when my son wears his Sunderland shirt to ask do we live here etc. and it's always because of the distinctive top. We have only ever had positive chat as a result.
The thought occurs that your son could go a mere 20 miles or so north from Sunderland wearing his shirt and the chat wouldn't be so positive (Makem etc).

OzTennis
Old Dec 8th 2006, 1:30 pm
Running on the spot.

rugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to behold

I have to say i'm really shocked by some of the comments about tatts and England shirts etc.
I have 3 tattoos,not visible unless I take my top off and I also wear an England rugby shirt,am I a thug?
No,i'm happily married ( 16 wonderfull years) have 2 wonderfull boys and i'll wear what I bloody well want.
If you judge Me as i have a few tattoos and wear a club/country shirt and have very short hair then I really have no time for you,if i present an image that you don't like well thats your problem,if you are small minded enough to label people who wear thier chioce of clothes etc how sad.
I am English,always have been always will be.At any rugby game fans MIX and are allowed a pint WITHOUT the fear of ANY trouble,I was at the Bristol v Gloucester game a few weeks ago,stood with all my mates from Bristol next to loads of lads from Gloucester,all having a drinking,wearing club colours..was thier any trouble....12,000 plus in the ground,no trouble.
i imagine that many smallminded people would assume that there were fights galore as the 2 tribes met on the terraces..how wrong can you be.
Don't judge people,take everyone for what they are...individuals!!
Old Dec 8th 2006, 1:39 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think its embedded somewhere in the great "class system" England has, whether people accept it or not, that someone wearing a rugby shirt supporting their team/country is perceived as a better class of person than the bloke next to him wearing a football shirt of the same country. Rugby = posh, football = chav.

me - I hate football shirt but not for that reason - I hate the shiny stuff they're made of and roundneck t's on hubby look stoopid owing to the fact he has no neck and is a slight chubb!

oh - and I dont like tattoos either - but then I also hate beetroot! each to their own and I would never judge anyone for their own tastes - as I wouldnt expect them to judge me on my choice of flowery bikini's I buy!

but if my boys ever went to get a tattoo - I might have to lock them in their rooms until they're 50!

Last edited by username 34; Dec 8th 2006 at 1:42 pm.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 2:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Many points raised:

Rugby attracts a different sort of person than football (soccer). Simple fact is that supporters cannot safely mix at British football matches. No problems at most footy, league and union matches in Australia. Soccer in Australia can be different because try as hard as they may, the fact remains that some teams in Australia have certain ethnicity dominant and when some teams play each other (eg Croat backed vs Serb backed teams) then overseas troubles spill over.

I'm sure we all know the generalisation about a thugs game played (and watched) by gentlemen vs the other way round - rugby vs soccer. The irony is that soccer is a far more skillful and athletically demanding game than rugby (half the positions on the rugby field are for people who frankly couldn't play most other sports because of their bulk or lack of pace).

I don't have a problem with 'Tatts' (as in Tattoos not Tattslotto) but like it or not they do convey an impression to people - presumably a body is adorned with them to create an impression so people can't be blamed for drawing the wrong impression surely? In the past this inevitably was that I am a navvy or working class or a boxer or whatever (as explained by their origins - which I always thought started with Cook's sailors copying the Polynesians). Times have changed and now we get the obligatory tatt for the name of your children (used to be sweetheart) or country emblem (how phony is the SA'er Pietersen with his tatts?) or I've been on holidays in Ibiza and got one when I was drunk. Can anyone really like Beckham's tatts for example?

Gloucester vs Bristol at rugby - fine. Bristol Rovers vs Bristol City; Cheltenham Town vs Bristol C/R's - great bonhomie I think not.

Just a few comments in the interests of healthy debate.

OzTennis

Originally Posted by rugbymad
I have to say i'm really shocked by some of the comments about tatts and England shirts etc.
I have 3 tattoos,not visible unless I take my top off and I also wear an England rugby shirt,am I a thug?
No,i'm happily married ( 16 wonderfull years) have 2 wonderfull boys and i'll wear what I bloody well want.
If you judge Me as i have a few tattoos and wear a club/country shirt and have very short hair then I really have no time for you,if i present an image that you don't like well thats your problem,if you are small minded enough to label people who wear thier chioce of clothes etc how sad.
I am English,always have been always will be.At any rugby game fans MIX and are allowed a pint WITHOUT the fear of ANY trouble,I was at the Bristol v Gloucester game a few weeks ago,stood with all my mates from Bristol next to loads of lads from Gloucester,all having a drinking,wearing club colours..was thier any trouble....12,000 plus in the ground,no trouble.
i imagine that many smallminded people would assume that there were fights galore as the 2 tribes met on the terraces..how wrong can you be.
Don't judge people,take everyone for what they are...individuals!!
Old Dec 8th 2006, 2:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Oh, and my experiences with football here in Scotland. I follow Gretna FC (Scottish Cup finalists this year, successive winners of Div 3 and Div 2, leaders of Div 1 now, SPL bound) as they are a local team. The team from less than 20 miles away is Queen of the South (Rabbie's name for Dumfries, no jokes please). We are both in Div 1 and have had 2 local derby matches so far - segregation, threats on the 2 club websites to each other, heavy police presence in and around the ground etc.

One match I was at was against Airdrie United. Each team had coloured players present so what do some Airdrie 'loons' do? A group of them appear in KKK masks which they donned in the ground when the coloured Gretna sub came on and when their coloured striker scored. How sick is that? Yep, 4 or 5 of them were tracked down and some have been banned for life from every football ground in Britain.

The point I'm making I guess is that it isn't all let's have a pint together chaps rugby local derby.

OzTennis

OzTennis

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.