Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

England shirts in Oz Yes or No ?

England shirts in Oz Yes or No ?

Old Dec 8th 2006, 3:00 am
BE Enthusiast

woogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nice
Default England shirts in Oz Yes or No ?

This has just been mentioned in another thread, but I thought it would be a good one on it's own.
Yesterday I took my 4 year old to playgroup in his England kit, yes the one with his name on the back bought be a good friend in the UK for his birthday, before we left.
Hubby is dead against him wearing it here & is of the view soccer shirts are only for on the pitch, not for the pub etc. and doesn't agree with wearing an England one, now we're living in Oz. As it was only playgroup I let him wear it. This started the debate with some other ex-pat mums there & opinion was split about 50/50 between the shoulds/shouldn'ts. One girl said her boys had just recd shirts in the post from Uk with their names on for xmas -they won't be wearing them outside.
Another said she was walking down the road with her son in his England top & some guy wound his car window down & shouted at them to go back home, in no uncertain words, so needless to say, he doesn't go out in his.
Anyone else feel it's out of order ? It's not like we're flying a big England flag from the roof top.

Last edited by woogle; Dec 8th 2006 at 4:30 am.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: England shirts in Oz Yes or No ?

Personally I find it sad seeing grown men walking around the shops / bar whatever wearing a football shirt.

Do they realise how stupid they look?
Old Dec 8th 2006, 3:12 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woogle
This has just been mentioned in another thread, but I thought it would be a good one on it's own.
Yesterday I took my 4 year old to playgroup in his England kit, yes the one with his name on the back bought be a good friend in the UK for his birthday, before we left.
Hubby is dead against him wearing it here & is of the view soccer shirts are only for on the pitch, not for the pub etc. and doesn't agree with wearing an England one, now we're living in Oz. As it was only playgroup I let him wear it. This started the debate with some other ex-pat mums there & opinion was split about 50/50 between the shoulds/shouldn'ts. One girl said her boys had just recd shirts in the post from Uk with their names on for xmas -they won't be wearing them outside.
Another said she was walking down the road with her son in his England top & some guy wound his car window down & shoulted at the to go back home, in no uncertain words, so needless to say, he doesn't go out in his.
Anyone else feel it's out of order ? It's not like we're flying a big England flag from the roof top.
I personally don't like to see them being worn out here, unless at a sports match involving England, but it doesn't really matter what I, or other people ,think. You should wear what you like, regardless of whether other people agree or not.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 3:12 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: England shirts in Oz Yes or No ?

Another said she was walking down the road with her son in his England top & some guy wound his car window down & shoulted at the to go back home, in no uncertain words, so needless to say, he doesn't go out in his.
I think it all depends on how you behave when you're wearing one.

I vote "Yes, as long as you can wear it with pride and make your nation proud of you".
Old Dec 8th 2006, 3:22 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I hate them, will never wear one and will not let my kids wear them.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 3:25 am
Gone for Good

binky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by marco121068
Personally I find it sad seeing grown men walking around the shops / bar whatever wearing a football shirt.

Totally agree.

I wouldn't wear a Scotland top here (cue the jokes) as I don't think it's appropriate so same goes for England, Wales, etc for me. I would be shocked seeing someone walk down the street in Glasgow wearing an England top never mind over here. They should be for on the pitch and nowhere else - it avoids any potential hassle.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 3:27 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: England shirts in Oz Yes or No ?

I wore my Rugby shirt the last time I was in Oz, right after our victory in the World Cup.

I was charged excess baggage for being 1.5 kg over.

Wonder if the 2 were connected?

Buzzy
Old Dec 8th 2006, 3:28 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

hideous things. usually worn by the same folk who think tattoos are tasteful.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 3:41 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Wht not wear a shirt with an Aussie flag , has a union jack in it and he won't get any verbal abuse from anyone.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 3:42 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
Wht not wear a shirt with an Aussie flag , has a union jack in it and he won't get any verbal abuse from anyone.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 3:42 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
hideous things. usually worn by the same folk who think tattoos are tasteful.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 3:46 am
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

I guess you could think to yourself what would your reaction be if you saw a person or a liitle kid walking down an English street with an Australian sports shirt on.
J.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 4:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I personally don't like to see them being worn out here, unless at a sports match involving England, but it doesn't really matter what I, or other people ,think. You should wear what you like, regardless of whether other people agree or not.
Sporting events but only sporting events where you can count on the crowd. So Rugby Ok, soccer not.

I used to have a Rugby top I wore to Twickenham. Since moving to Australia it never comes out. My wife uses it now to sleep in.

I won't wear a Gold one either.

I think English soccer tops are vile, personally(!)

The worst thing was soccer chavs wearing their chav shirts to bars during the 2003 cup(!)
Old Dec 8th 2006, 4:29 am
BE Enthusiast

woogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nice

looks like hubby is in the majority - makes a change
Old Dec 8th 2006, 4:35 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by marco121068

Yes i totally agree with you...they look right d**k heads!
As much as i love UK, i think NO to wearing footy shirts, there just tacky!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.