Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

England shirts in Oz Yes or No ?

England shirts in Oz Yes or No ?

Old Dec 8th 2006, 5:51 am
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: England shirts in Oz Yes or No ?

Originally Posted by wsbtroyno21

English football fans have all been labelled as hooligans because of small group of idiots and unfortunately many countries now associate the England top with hooligans.

You should be proud of your birth country and there is nothing wrong with showing it. If someone can't appreciate that then that is their problem.

Wear what you want.....we all have different tastes and likes/dislikes so why waste time and energy worrying about what other people think...if you are happy and not hurting anyone else then I don't see what the problem is.

Wendy
Completely agree with this. It's a sad fact that many people perceive the wearing of the England shirt as being yobbish.

Personally I've always detested seeing Brits abroad wearing England shirts even before we came here, but it's totally wrong for people to be abusive just because someone wears one. Each to their own.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 6:26 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by woogle
from the roof top.

I know your family are perfectly respectable but the image probably conjours up images of neandrathal, drunken , football thug as sen in UK ( uggg).

Prob best "in house"

Dave
Old Dec 8th 2006, 6:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

I've got loads of Liverpool shirts from seasons ago, I will wear them when I want, well when there the nearest to me when getting dressed. I've had no problems over here just great comments, people tell me that they support Liverpool and there family come from Liverpool (get the old "do you know them").
However I have never owned a England shirt and to be honest would not want to until they won something major

I do think the link between people who wear football shirts and have tattoos is daft, also don't tar everyone who wears a shirt to be a dick head. Thats a bit like saying if you voted labour you drink bitter and wear a flat cap, have a greyhound and eat tripe.

Anyway off to walk the hound

Ian
Old Dec 8th 2006, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it matters what you wear. It's all a bit teenage to judge people according to what they wear, it's all a bit shallow don't you think?

Having said that I have no England shirts or soccer afffiliations... my Aussie mate has a Pompey sticker on the car and a ladies top, these were bought on holiday to the Uk and are just souvenirs.
I have loads of Greek t-shirts, sent by rellies, never had an hassle when wearing them.
I have never been Pommie bashed or known any mates who've had hassles out here. Yes it probably goes on, I'm not arguing with other people's experiences on here, but it is a very rare occurence.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 7:16 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
Wht not wear a shirt with an Aussie flag , has a union jack in it and he won't get any verbal abuse from anyone.
Only from people who wear shirts of other countries and like taking swipes at Australians?
Old Dec 8th 2006, 7:30 am

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

This has just been mentioned in another thread, but I thought it would be a good one on it's own.
Yesterday I took my 4 year old to playgroup in his England kit, yes the one with his name on the back bought be a good friend in the UK for his birthday, before we left.
Hubby is dead against him wearing it here & is of the view soccer shirts are only for on the pitch, not for the pub etc. and doesn't agree with wearing an England one, now we're living in Oz. As it was only playgroup I let him wear it. This started the debate with some other ex-pat mums there & opinion was split about 50/50 between the shoulds/shouldn'ts. One girl said her boys had just recd shirts in the post from Uk with their names on for xmas -they won't be wearing them outside..
Tell hubby to get a life. Most people in footy season wear a club jersey/shirt, whatever, any time of the day or night. Yes, we do even in Australia. So on his argument, if I went to live in the UK, I should stop showing my support for Australia by wearing a club/national team shirt in public.

Another said she was walking down the road with her son in his England top & some guy wound his car window down & shouted at them to go back home, in no uncertain words, so needless to say, he doesn't go out in his.
Anyone else feel it's out of order ? It's not like we're flying a big England flag from the roof top.
And that wouldn't happen to an Australian supporter in England, Brazil, Timbulktoo etc?

FFS.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

mad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to behold

This has just been mentioned in another thread, but I thought it would be a good one on it's own.
Yesterday I took my 4 year old to playgroup in his England kit, yes the one with his name on the back bought be a good friend in the UK for his birthday, before we left.
Hubby is dead against him wearing it here & is of the view soccer shirts are only for on the pitch, not for the pub etc. and doesn't agree with wearing an England one, now we're living in Oz. As it was only playgroup I let him wear it. This started the debate with some other ex-pat mums there & opinion was split about 50/50 between the shoulds/shouldn'ts. One girl said her boys had just recd shirts in the post from Uk with their names on for xmas -they won't be wearing them outside.
Another said she was walking down the road with her son in his England top & some guy wound his car window down & shouted at them to go back home, in no uncertain words, so needless to say, he doesn't go out in his.
Anyone else feel it's out of order ? It's not like we're flying a big England flag from the roof top.
When the world cup is on yes, i think that is ok.or if you put your own teams top on like VILLA/BLUES top thats ok ,
Dave
Old Dec 8th 2006, 7:48 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Why not - when I see an Australian or any other nationality shirt here in the UK, I don;t really think anything other than they are a football fan.

I frequently wear my Spurs shirt and my England shirt in Australia and never had any hassle. Just because I may move to Australia and because I have done in the past will not make me Australian.

I'm English, proud of it and always will be. Wearing a shirt makes no difference to the way I behave. I respect any country for what it is and abide by their rules and regulations.

In the same breath, you may as well say ban English pubs because this is Australia...

Many seem to find them sad - fair enough. I like them - I love football, I play regularly (and did in Australia as well with a good mix of all nationalities) and it's a nice shirt. What's the problem?
Old Dec 8th 2006, 7:54 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

I stopped wearing my Gillingham shirt for a while and was knobbing like crazy, put it on again and nada ... something to do with scoring I think ...
Old Dec 8th 2006, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by andyphilpott
Why not - when I see an Australian or any other nationality shirt here in the UK, I don;t really think anything other than they are a football fan.

I frequently wear my Spurs shirt and my England shirt in Australia and never had any hassle. Just because I may move to Australia and because I have done in the past will not make me Australian.

I'm English, proud of it and always will be. Wearing a shirt makes no difference to the way I behave. I respect any country for what it is and abide by their rules and regulations.

In the same breath, you may as well say ban English pubs because this is Australia...

Many seem to find them sad - fair enough. I like them - I love football, I play regularly (and did in Australia as well with a good mix of all nationalities) and it's a nice shirt. What's the problem?
The OH wore her Sussex Sharks county-shirt to the 1st Test and was proud of it. The only problem was that she couldn't wear it and her Austrlian shirt at the same time. She did it for Shane Warne though.....
Old Dec 8th 2006, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by The Bloke
The OH wore her Sussex Sharks county-shirt to the 1st Test and was proud of it. The only problem was that she couldn't wear it and her Austrlian shirt at the same time. She did it for Shane Warne though.....
Very fair - pity the fact that what happened on the pitch didn't deserve much respect at all... ;-)
Old Dec 8th 2006, 8:52 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by northernbird
hideous things. usually worn by the same folk who think tattoos are tasteful.

I'm sure I've said this before, but you say the things I want to say but am too uptight to say.

I'll go and get some more wine.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 8:56 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

IF YA WANT TO WEAR ENGLAND SHIRTS MOVE TO ENGERLAND bloody poms!!!!!!11!!!!!
Old Dec 8th 2006, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

simpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by northernbird
hideous things. usually worn by the same folk who think tattoos are tasteful.
Its because of pillocks like you who stereotype people because of their individuality that the world is full of small minded people who cause more problems than solve them. Prepare for a history lesson in the origins of the English Tattoo culture

'After captain cook returned from his voyage to polynesia
tattooing became a tradition in the british navy.
by the middle of the 18th century most british ports had
at least one professional tattoo artist in residence.
in 1862, the prince of wales, later to become king edward VII,
received his first tattoo - a jerusalem cross - on his arm.
he started a tattoo fad among the aristocracy when he was
tattooed before ascending to the throne.
in 1882, his sons, the duke of clarence and the duke of york
were tattooed by the japanese master tattooist, hori chiyo.'

can't see many of them wearing football shirts and acting 'yobbish'

Yes I have tattoo's, signifing the births of my children, designed by myself to create an individuality for myself.
You must have a very small circle of 'same style, materialistic' friends because of your outlook on people, see now i'm stereotyping you just because you don't like tattoos.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

My eldest son plays indoor football each week..............he always wears his chelsea shirts............in fact the whole team wear them!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.