Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

England shirts in Oz Yes or No ?

England shirts in Oz Yes or No ?

Old Dec 8th 2006, 4:40 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: England shirts in Oz Yes or No ?

Here's another hypothetical question for you.

Do you think it would be appropriate to wear say a t-shirt with a Canada flag on it? Not a team shirt of any kind.... just a regular t-shirt.

I'm just wondering if a Canadian t-shirt would get the same reaction that a UK one seems to get. I would gather that most people would just figure I'm a tourist, I wouldn't expect to hear go back hom to Canada!

For that matter does it matter which countries flag you are wearing or would certain countries get more of a reaction?

Haley
Old Dec 8th 2006, 4:41 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
Here's another hypothetical question for you.

Do you think it would be appropriate to wear say a t-shirt with a Canada flag on it? Not a team shirt of any kind.... just a regular t-shirt.

I'm just wondering if a Canadian t-shirt would get the same reaction that a UK one seems to get. I would gather that most people would just figure I'm a tourist, I wouldn't expect to hear go back hom to Canada!

For that matter does it matter which countries flag you are wearing or would certain countries get more of a reaction?

Haley
No I don't think it has the same stigma Haley. We lived in Canada for 4 years and have numerous items of Roots clothing. We have worn them here with no comments at all.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 4:42 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

I have a t-shirt with the word England on and a union jack, I've worn it when I've been doing things like playing barefoot bowls with Australian friends just to keep them happy But an England shirt? Yeuwww. Unless it's a fit footballer wearing it, just don't go there.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 4:44 am
Here At Last!!

frogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nice

sorry but i dont see the big deal with the england shirts my son plays football over here and wears england and Wigan kits .i would never say to him dont wear it son cause we live in Australia now its part of his life its were he grow up and yes i no we live here now.back in england i saw lots of people wearing different countries football tops and never thought no less of them so y the big fuss
Old Dec 8th 2006, 4:55 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by northernbird
No I don't think it has the same stigma Haley. We lived in Canada for 4 years and have numerous items of Roots clothing. We have worn them here with no comments at all.
That's nice to hear, although it's unfortunate it would be a problem for any other flags.

You can really wear Roots clothing around? We had planned on buying a few things before we come over but when we found out what it meant we were worried about people giggling behind our backs
Old Dec 8th 2006, 4:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold

My OH wears his Liverpool FC top or his England top when he goes cycling every morning...and he's been here for 35 years
Old Dec 8th 2006, 4:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by matt-and-jenny
I guess you could think to yourself what would your reaction be if you saw a person or a liitle kid walking down an English street with an Australian sports shirt on.
J.
My thought would be ' oh look an Australian supporter"....can't see what the problem is by wearing something to show your support.

If you lived in London and wore a Man U football shirt, would people tell the wearer to go back to Manchester?

Tolerance for all!
Old Dec 8th 2006, 5:11 am
BE Enthusiast

MJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pomster
My thought would be ' oh look an Australian supporter"....can't see what the problem is by wearing something to show your support.

If you lived in London and wore a Man U football shirt, would people tell the wearer to go back to Manchester?

Tolerance for all!

My daughter,who is a tomboy and plays football(sorry soccer )
She has england tops ,ccfc tops, brazil tops and she bought a valencia top over,she also has a socceroo top.
I do think they look better on kids than on adults LOL

When the world cup was on, we had an england flag and a aussie flag hanging out of our window.No one said anything and we were in Coventry then.
Jo
Old Dec 8th 2006, 5:16 am
It's got to be purple....

wsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond repute

Tolerance for all!

Well said......as usual people get labelled because of a small minority of mindless hooligans - not everyone who wears a football shirt is a hooligan. As far as I am concerned you should be able to wear what you want......here in Canberra I see people around all the time wearing various shirts......Socceroos jerseys, Sydney Roosters rugby tops, Canberra Raiders tops, etc etc. I don't hear people telling Roosters supporters to go back to Sydney.

My sister and her b/f were here for a couple for weeks and he is football daft and wore various Celtic tops as well as Socceroos tops while he was here. He never had a problem. (Maybe the Scots are thought of differently from the English). And when we lived in Scotland Jim wore various Aussie sports tops and never had a problem either.

English football fans have all been labelled as hooligans because of small group of idiots and unfortunately many countries now associate the England top with hooligans.

You should be proud of your birth country and there is nothing wrong with showing it. If someone can't appreciate that then that is their problem.

Wear what you want.....we all have different tastes and likes/dislikes so why waste time and energy worrying about what other people think...if you are happy and not hurting anyone else then I don't see what the problem is.

Wendy
Old Dec 8th 2006, 5:20 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Tolerance for all!
No because most of the Man U supporters dont live in Manchester although most of them are now Chelsea supporters (confused as to whether to revert back yet)

My view is:
Soccer shirts: not to be worn in public unless attending a match of said team, or playing the game itself.
Rugby shirts: National Teams ok to be worn in own country, and to matches in overseas country's, or for playing the game itself. Club teams, ok to be worn most of the time, (not out to dinner) or not if your a loud red pom covered in Tat's.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 5:23 am

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by northernbird
hideous things. usually worn by the same folk who think tattoos are tasteful.
Certainly hope that you're not stereo-typing there Northernbird?
Old Dec 8th 2006, 5:25 am
It's got to be purple....

wsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
Certainly hope that you're not stereo-typing there Northernbird?

Off topic ....but I love your avatar Fluffy
Old Dec 8th 2006, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by Vin 'n Bin
My OH wears his Liverpool FC top or his England top when he goes cycling every morning...and he's been here for 35 years
eeewwww! Must be getting a bit moth eaten and pongy now then?
Old Dec 8th 2006, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by wsbtroyno21
Off topic ....but I love your avatar Fluffy
You knows it!

Morning Wendy...can't stop...gotta jump in the shower and get my lazy arse off to work!

Hope Jim is well!!
Old Dec 8th 2006, 5:47 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Will happily wear England Rugby or Cricket shirts, will not buy an England soccer jersey ... probably something to do with the image.

When we were back in the UK my other half suggested we get a replica soccer jersey for my 2 year old (Aussie) daughter ... the thought triggered a wave of revulsion that I could hardly put into words.

Have worn my vintage Gillingham (soccer) jersey on many occasions and it has sparked many a happy conversation with both ex-pats and Aussies (as has my England cricket shirt).

I recently had a guy jokingly try to run me down on a pedestrian crossing whilst I was wearing my cricket shirt ... at least I think he was joking ... as Tuffers sez, "Happy days"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.