Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Engineering work on work & travel 12 month visa.

Engineering work on work & travel 12 month visa.

Old Nov 21st 2018, 10:35 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Engineering work on work & travel 12 month visa.

Originally Posted by the troubadour
You do appear taken in, which was the obvious exercise in the whole affair. Remember if international students find too many obstacles in place to remain after studies, they will simply locate to countries with easier access to work and later PR. New Zealand and Canada come to mind.
Taken in by who or what? I can assure you I am no longer the gullible effing idiot who once thought Australia offered a good life, I ceased to believe that myth about 3 months after I arrived here.
Whether other people are still lured here by the dream of a utopian lifestyle really isn't my problem, I have enough issues of my own to deal with these days without worrying about anyone else's life. Where migration is concerned I just deal in facts. How other people interpret those facts is up to them.
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 3:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
https://www.sbs.com.au/news/expert-says-international-students-not-permanent-migrants-driving-congestion-in-cities

The point being, why support students to PR? Sure, they perform the barista and other roles locals are unwilling to do, they pay tax on that, but in the grand scheme of things, their value upon completing their studies is minor compared to someone who has extensive skills and experience.
The point being Australia's third largest money earner, would go into free fall, if the carrot of PR status was removed. I have stated this all before. When previous moves to tighten permanent visa's to internationals, some years ago, numbers declined. The 'education industry' for that is what it is, is little but a lucrative money spinner. The market is competitive. I do not believe students come to Australia for the quality of education, but for what they can get in terms of PR from doing it. As fees increase, costs of living are enormously expensive for students from developing world, the more the expectation will be.
There has been a whole 'industry' built around students, from poorly built, kennel sized flats in central locations, probably not much use for anything else, eateries and not forgetting the vibe it set off in places like Melbourne.

Perth is fighting hard to get far more internationals. More openings post graduate studies have already ben flagged. But them I'm in favour of greater diversity for Perth.
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 3:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Taken in by who or what? I can assure you I am no longer the gullible effing idiot who once thought Australia offered a good life, I ceased to believe that myth about 3 months after I arrived here.
Whether other people are still lured here by the dream of a utopian lifestyle really isn't my problem, I have enough issues of my own to deal with these days without worrying about anyone else's life. Where migration is concerned I just deal in facts. How other people interpret those facts is up to them.
Just don't rely on smoke screens and government propaganda to cloud your 'collection' of obtaining the facts. A lot of misinformation and non disclosure around the entire immigration issue.
Of course projecting your thoughts away from own 'problems' , and onto others, often helps to alleviate personal issues, if by only coming to terms with how poorly, in al manner of ways, others actually are fearing. Regardless of Farcebook lies and over positive take on personal details.
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 6:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
The point being Australia's third largest money earner, would go into free fall, if the carrot of PR status was removed. I have stated this all before. When previous moves to tighten permanent visa's to internationals, some years ago, numbers declined. The 'education industry' for that is what it is, is little but a lucrative money spinner. The market is competitive. I do not believe students come to Australia for the quality of education, but for what they can get in terms of PR from doing it. As fees increase, costs of living are enormously expensive for students from developing world, the more the expectation will be.
There has been a whole 'industry' built around students, from poorly built, kennel sized flats in central locations, probably not much use for anything else, eateries and not forgetting the vibe it set off in places like Melbourne.

Perth is fighting hard to get far more internationals. More openings post graduate studies have already ben flagged. But them I'm in favour of greater diversity for Perth.
And where does construction sit as a money earner?

You see, take all this away and you hit a lot of people.

Meanwhile, not everyone wants an immigration decline.

https://www.domain.com.au/news/were-open-for-business-what-the-rest-of-australia-makes-of-sydney-and-melbournes-big-problem-786421/?utm_campaign=strap-masthead&utm_source=smh&utm_medium=link&utm_conten t=pos5&ref=pos1
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 10:49 pm
Just Joined

BigCLittleg is an unknown quantity at this point

Jesus Christ the last 20 messages have been no help at all, just distracted from my original question. How petty must you all be to come and get involved in an argument of quoting and then requoting. I am after genuine advice not point scoring.
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 12:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Beoz
And where does construction sit as a money earner?

You see, take all this away and you hit a lot of people.

Meanwhile, not everyone wants an immigration decline.

https://www.domain.com.au/news/were-...=pos5&ref=pos1
OK. Construction was a by product ,of a largely faux economy ,based on corrupt banks and financial operators doling out 'cheap' money, in a world awash with cheap loans. A result of 08 bank excesses largely, in order to reignite the most serious economic downturn that could easily have derailed the economic order. Anyone that concluded , such labour requirements, would continue forever where frankly living in a self deluded, fantasy world.
I guess all those Chinese and Korean construction workers often spotted on Perth building sites will be heading home ? Less back packers required as well?

A whole assortment of various rent seekers now unsure about future prospects, as various cash cows appear to be coming home to roost.
Rent seekers and assorted
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 12:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BigCLittleg
Jesus Christ the last 20 messages have been no help at all, just distracted from my original question. How petty must you all be to come and get involved in an argument of quoting and then requoting. I am after genuine advice not point scoring.
Well the issues out here are/or have become more involved in more recent times, than simply responding to a query from an overseas back packer. An open forum will usually deviate away from the original posed question, as you have noticed, but there have been snippets of useful information answering your specific question, or at least addressing it .
I hope you get more replies more suitable to your particular needs with future postings .