British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Engineering Technologists (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/engineering-technologists-486296/)

Jockey Oct 9th 2007 9:18 pm

Engineering Technologists

Hi, I'm looking to submit my application for a general skilled visa under the title of engineering technologist. I have the relavent qualifications, and work for an electronics company in production/operations.

Is there anyone who has submitted or is in the process of submitting their visa as an engineering technologist that is in a similar situation?

Many Thanks,

alipally Oct 9th 2007 9:33 pm

Re: Engineering Technologists

Hi,
I believe that Scrum is a civil engineering technologist.... have a look at her signature on the september applicants thread!

jdjnr Oct 9th 2007 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by Jockey (Post 5406126)
Hi, I'm looking to submit my application for a general skilled visa under the title of engineering technologist. I have the relavent qualifications, and work for an electronics company in production/operations.

Is there anyone who has submitted or is in the process of submitting their visa as an engineering technologist that is in a similar situation?

Many Thanks,

Hi Jockey,

I applied as an Engineering Tecnologist a few years ago now back in 2003 and to be honest it was very straight forward. If you are a member of Engineers institution ( i'm from Ireland so i was a member of the IEI) then there are recepritory agreements between IEAust (or whatever its called theses days) and other engineering councils. In the end you need to supply engineering qualifications, a brief CV of experience, references from employers if possible and membership to engineering councils/institutes. Took about 4 weeks for me.
I'll have a quick look when i get home tonight to see if i can dig out any other information,

Good Luck,

Jon

tipp1974 Oct 15th 2007 8:48 pm

Hi all.
I submitted my qualification to Engineers Australia to have them accesed as an Engineering Technologist. The process is fairly simple and took about 4 weeks for me to get the letter back. The Engineering bodies of certain countries, Ireland, UK, Canada and Australia (there maybe more) have an agreement under The Sydney Accord to recognise engineering qualifications. Check out the Engineers Australia website for more info....
http://www.engineersaustralia.org.au...icklinks-2.cfm
Good luck

Safin Oct 16th 2007 7:11 am

OH got assessed as an eng tech this year. His qualification wasn't on the list for sydney accord per se but they also recognise HND's from before a certain date (198? - his was 1984) as degree equivilent. Sorry can'te recall where I found out about that but if it's relevant to you I'd ask them directly. It saved him having to do a CDR.

Safin

Domenic Mar 16th 2008 9:46 pm

Hi Guys,
I am about to start my CDR for Engineering Technologist, my HND is not covered by the Sydney accord as I didn't start it until Sept 2000, Sydney accord only recognises those started Sept 1999 and before. :(

Has anyone any tips regarding the layout, anyone willing to share any examples of career episodes etc?

Am I right in thinking that it is structered and cross referenced similar to an NVQ log book, which is also similar to the KSF portfolio used in the NHS.

Kind Regards

Dom

Timber Floor Au Mar 16th 2008 11:57 pm

I couldnt get my HND(C) eng certs , accepted, and I completed in 1985 !

Domenic Mar 17th 2008 7:24 am

Really! Thats a pain, have you had to go down the CDR route then?

Dom

dickchap Mar 17th 2008 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au (Post 6071833)
I couldnt get my HND(C) eng certs , accepted, and I completed in 1985 !

Your situation sounds exactly like mine, but i had my HNC cleared by EIAust as i had a covering letter from the UK ENgineering Council that was accepted. Try going to there website for more information. Keep me posted, as i can dig out more for you etc.

DickChap

BethandAndrew Mar 17th 2008 5:43 pm

Can I help anyone? (It's not Scrum it's me on the Sept thread) :p
Hubby is a Civil Engineer......got his skills assessed with the IEAust as a Civil Engineering Technologist ASCO 2128-11
He has a BSc Degree in Civil Engineering 2:1 with Honours and 13 years experience in work.
May still have a CDR template with career episodes for anyone who needs it ( CDR template is for a Civil Engineer ASCO 2124-11........hubby doesn't do any designing so he couldn't be classed as a Civil Engineer).
Beth x x :wub:

Timber Floor Au Mar 17th 2008 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by dickchap (Post 6074971)
Your situation sounds exactly like mine, but i had my HNC cleared by EIAust as i had a covering letter from the UK ENgineering Council that was accepted. Try going to there website for more information. Keep me posted, as i can dig out more for you etc.

DickChap

Cheers Dick.

I did mine via another route, as at the time of application I was unaware really of how my cert stuff would go., Fortunately I had been running a business for a number of years and came in via trade skills assmt.

Ste

Domenic Mar 17th 2008 10:51 pm

Hi Dick Chap,
When did you start you HNC, was it after 1999? If so how did you get a covering letter from ECUK? As i'm under the impression that the Sydney Accord does not recognise any HNC/HND's after Sept 1999.

Cheers

Dom

dickchap Mar 18th 2008 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Domenic (Post 6076422)
Hi Dick Chap,
When did you start you HNC, was it after 1999? If so how did you get a covering letter from ECUK? As i'm under the impression that the Sydney Accord does not recognise any HNC/HND's after Sept 1999.

Cheers

Dom

Fortunately i completed my HNC in 1994, so was able to apply for the Sydney Accord. I did a bit of searching to establish whether my qualification was recognised, and that is when i found out about ECUK. I was amased that 'Timber Floor Au' had to take another route even tough he completed his HND in 1985.

Marios Apr 17th 2008 5:51 pm

Many Thanks,

hi all,

i have 3 years experience in telecommunications and i am writing my cdr for engineering technology.

anyone can help me?

Marios Apr 17th 2008 5:51 pm

Many Thanks,

have you find anything?