Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Engineering in Oz

Engineering in Oz

Old Mar 17th 2010, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

oxford_lad has a brilliant futureoxford_lad has a brilliant futureoxford_lad has a brilliant futureoxford_lad has a brilliant futureoxford_lad has a brilliant futureoxford_lad has a brilliant future
Default Engineering in Oz

Hi there all, just wondering what the state of engineering work is like in Oz?

Am mainly thinking of the Sydney area but any help would be helpful.

I am a mechcanical design engineer currently in the UK but me and the girlfriend are thinking of moving to Oz as she was born in Sydney so visas won't be a problem (hopefully!!)
Old Mar 19th 2010, 12:57 am
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Engineering in Oz

Originally Posted by oxford_lad

I am a mechcanical design engineer currently in the UK but me and the girlfriend are thinking of moving to Oz as she was born in Sydney so visas won't be a problem (hopefully!!)
no problem mate - engineering are highly in demand here, esp queensland and wa. Lots of stuff on mining and oil/gas.

Try worleyparsons, GHD or OSD to start with as good firms looking for hires
Old Mar 19th 2010, 1:11 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oxford_lad

Engineering is huge here - it has really picked up in the last 4 weeks. 2010 will get busier but 2011-12 will probably be mental - more so than 2005-8.

Demand and best salary prospects are:
Perth and WA FIFO
NT
Brisbane, Qld regional and FIFO
Melbourne
Sydney (major rail projects have just been cancelled)
The rest - and Adelaide

Check out seek.com
Aecom
Worley Parsons
United Group
Woodside
GHD
SKM
Fluor
KBR
Rio Tinto
Calibre
FAST JV
BHP
FMG

Good luck.
Old Mar 19th 2010, 1:21 am
Forum Regular

Mike 3G has a spectacular aura aboutMike 3G has a spectacular aura aboutMike 3G has a spectacular aura about

Must say being from the Oil&Gas side I was always drawn to Perth, however after ending up in Victoria the amount of Oil&Gas work here has surprised me. Also in the long term it does look like the WA O&G industry will go bonkers again with a big boom predicted. As other posters have mentioned the mining industry is all over the country and picking up which will see most trades and professions in big demand.

You should have plenty of options in many different sectors
Old Mar 19th 2010, 8:43 am
Just Joined

infinjohn is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Engineering is huge here - it has really picked up in the last 4 weeks. 2010 will get busier but 2011-12 will probably be mental - more so than 2005-8.

Perth and WA FIFO
NT
Melbourne
The rest - and Adelaide

Check out seek.com
Aecom
Worley Parsons
United Group
Woodside
GHD
SKM
Fluor
KBR
Rio Tinto
Calibre
FAST JV
BHP
FMG

Good luck.

Amazula, thats good info! do you know generally if these companies (and others) are looking for people with specific skills or experience in Oil & Gas, Electrical, etc (ie they are still selective), or is it similar to 2007/2008 where they were taking anybody with an engineering qualification due to the amount of work available?
Old Mar 19th 2010, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

Mike 3G has a spectacular aura aboutMike 3G has a spectacular aura aboutMike 3G has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by infinjohn
Amazula, thats good info! do you know generally if these companies (and others) are looking for people with specific skills or experience in Oil & Gas, Electrical, etc (ie they are still selective), or is it similar to 2007/2008 where they were taking anybody with an engineering qualification due to the amount of work available?
My experience at the present time is they are all still printing a wish list for O&G professionals however it can't hurt to try. Their options will become limited when the recruitment phase of the larger projects steps up and inevitably they have to look to outside the industry for engineers.
Old Mar 19th 2010, 9:01 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the info! Were moving over to Perth next month and trying to see what options i have has an engineer
Old Mar 19th 2010, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike 3G
My experience at the present time is they are all still printing a wish list for O&G professionals however it can't hurt to try. Their options will become limited when the recruitment phase of the larger projects steps up and inevitably they have to look to outside the industry for engineers.
Is a big project due up in Broome in the near future, not sure I'd want to live there though and fly in fly out for me no point in earning loads when you lose so much of your life outside of work...
Old Mar 20th 2010, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

OilDigger is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been in Perth 5 weeks now, 18 years Oil and Gas offshore experience, HNC , NVQ , apprenticeship etc. 7 years with a major oil company in production operations and a background in Instrumentation both projects and maintanance - not sure what I'm doing wrong but I have had no response at all here so far - I'm confident it's all a matter of time but unless you have some good contacts then expect a wait for a job, I hope you are luckier than I have been but please don't expect things on a plate here.
Old Mar 20th 2010, 1:03 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by infinjohn
The hydrocarbons industry is notoriously hard to break into - wherever you are in the world. In the UK I found it impossible to get in - until late 2005 and a few weeks before I was due to move to Australia (I was offered a job with Fluor, over the phone without a formal interview! They were desperate at the time). It's been the same in Perth - until 2008 when they were taking any experience. At the moment I reckon it would be hard to get in without O&G experience - but that will change in the next year or two. Mining is more accommodating, they will take people without mining time (including me) and demand is picking up big time - and should continue to do so.
Old Mar 20th 2010, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

The hydrocarbons industry is notoriously hard to break into - wherever you are in the world. In the UK I found it impossible to get in - until late 2005 and a few weeks before I was due to move to Australia (I was offered a job with Fluor, over the phone without a formal interview! They were desperate at the time). It's been the same in Perth - until 2008 when they were taking any experience. At the moment I reckon it would be hard to get in without O&G experience - but that will change in the next year or two. Mining is more accommodating, they will take people without mining time (including me) and demand is picking up big time - and should continue to do so.
Hopefully the times where companies start accepting anything with two legs and pulse comes soon...and oh wow, you have an engineering qualification too is just a bonus

Out of curiosity, do you work for a company or own your own?
Old Mar 20th 2010, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

Rod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to all

Perth and WA FIFO
NT
Melbourne
The rest - and Adelaide

Check out seek.com
Aecom
Worley Parsons
United Group
Woodside
GHD
SKM
Fluor
KBR
Rio Tinto
Calibre
FAST JV
BHP
FMG

Good luck.
which major rail projects in sydney have been cancelled? ive just accepted a job to work on one lol
Old Mar 21st 2010, 12:17 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Rod-Helen-Poppy
which major rail projects in sydney have been cancelled? ive just accepted a job to work on one lol
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news...0319-qjss.html
Old Mar 21st 2010, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

Rod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to all

thankfully it isnt that one
Old Mar 25th 2010, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

direct2dubai is a jewel in the roughdirect2dubai is a jewel in the roughdirect2dubai is a jewel in the roughdirect2dubai is a jewel in the roughdirect2dubai is a jewel in the rough

My husband and I are moving to Brisbane in July. I have secured a job already (in finance) but he has been unable to get anything yet. Not sure if it's because he's not ALREADY in Aus or what?
He's a project engineer (project cost controls) with 7 years oil/gas experience. Should we be worried about him getting a job fairly quickly?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.