Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Engineering Jobs in Queensland

Engineering Jobs in Queensland

Old Dec 18th 2003, 9:40 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Engineering Jobs in Queensland

Something interesting happened last night. I was looking at engineering jobs on www.seek.com.au. I saw an ad for contract substation designers (part of what I do) & thought what the heck & emailed my CV off just to see what the reaction would be. About 10 minutes later the phone rang & it was the agent asking when could I go for an interview!. After explaining my situation I had an interesting conversation with him about the job situation in QLD. At the moment there seems to be a lot of major infrastructure projects coming up especially in power & rail (my fields) & there is a lack of qualified design people. For the job I applied for he was paying $50/hour +.
Old Dec 18th 2003, 9:41 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Engineering Jobs in Queensland

Originally posted by Amazulu
For the job I applied for he was paying $50/hour +.
That'll keep you in Twisties and beer!

Whereabouts in QLD is it?
Old Dec 18th 2003, 9:43 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by downunderpom
That'll keep you in Twisties and beer!

Whereabouts in QLD is it?
He wasn't giving too much away, but it was in the Brisbane area. It's a good rate, even by UK standards.
Old Dec 18th 2003, 9:48 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

He wasn't giving too much away, but it was in the Brisbane area. It's a good rate, even by UK standards.
Yep, on a 37.5 hour week, that's $97500 a year. Reasonable!

I was just a little concerned that it might be Mt Isa, or Cloncurry, or Townsville.... The head office where the interview is being held might be Brissie, but make sure it's not a 'roving' commission...
Old Dec 18th 2003, 9:54 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Yep, on a 37.5 hour week, that's $97500 a year. Reasonable!

I was just a little concerned that it might be Mt Isa, or Cloncurry, or Townsville.... The head office where the interview is being held might be Brissie, but make sure it's not a 'roving' commission...
Thanks for the tip, Townsville, I could handle but not Mt Isa!. Are you in Engineering?.
Old Dec 18th 2003, 9:58 pm
I like kittens.

Thanks for the tip, Townsville, I could handle but not Mt Isa!. Are you in Engineering?.
Nah - computer jockey. My dad was, and I lived in Mt Isa for 2 and a half years. I loved it, but it was a bit of a culture shock for the folks!
Old Dec 18th 2003, 10:02 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Nah - computer jockey. My dad was, and I lived in Mt Isa for 2 and a half years. I loved it, but it was a bit of a culture shock for the folks!
The thing is they do some damn fine engineering on these remote mines, just like in South Africa. I wouldn't mind it so much, but I have a wife & baby son & it wouldn't be for them.
Old Dec 18th 2003, 10:06 pm
I like kittens.

The thing is they do some damn fine engineering on these remote mines, just like in South Africa. I wouldn't mind it so much, but I have a wife & baby son & it wouldn't be for them.
It's isolated. We did Mt Isa when I was 11, and Kambalda (WA) when I was 16. Kambalda was brand new then, and I used to travel 50+ miles to Kalgoorlie by school bus each day.

I thoroughly enjoyed my early life in 'primitive' Oz, but it's not for everyone. Mt Isa was a town then, not the city it is now. No TV, and a very strong sense of 'community'. Kambalda was 'raw'.
Old Dec 18th 2003, 11:04 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmmm I'll know what to suggest if Dagboy ever wants to give up being a geek & go back to being an engineer. Hell I could think of alot worse places to live than Mt Isa
Old Dec 18th 2003, 11:30 pm
I like kittens.

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Hmmmmm I'll know what to suggest if Dagboy ever wants to give up being a geek & go back to being an engineer. Hell I could think of alot worse places to live than Mt Isa
Blackstone? That's where we went after the Isa. The only good thing I can remember about that was being sent home to watch Neil Armstrong walking on the moon! (Now THAT'S dated me!!)
Old Dec 18th 2003, 11:58 pm
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Blackstone? That's where we went after the Isa. The only good thing I can remember about that was being sent home to watch Neil Armstrong walking on the moon! (Now THAT'S dated me!!)
I was thinking Inala or Woodridge, so you were close LOL.

I didnt get sent home from school to watch the moon landing, I dont think kindergarten was on on that day
Old Dec 19th 2003, 12:01 am
I like kittens.

I was thinking Inala or Woodridge, so you were close LOL.

I didnt get sent home from school to watch the moon landing, I dont think kindergarten was on on that day
Sprog!
Old Dec 19th 2003, 12:11 am
Rocket Scientist

Sprog!
Old fart
Old Dec 19th 2003, 12:14 am
WBB

ladies please, some decorum.

Old Dec 19th 2003, 12:24 am
I like kittens.

Old fart
That's MR Old Fart SIR to you, young lady!!

And tell that youngboybilly to keep quiet while his elders are talking!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.